The biggest local derby

14 hours ago, Niels said:

I think the Hull derby because this is the only one where both sides are actually from the same city.

Also they are both well supported and well matched. 

Personally my favourite is Batley v Dewsbury.

I also enjoyed Bramley v Leeds when Bramley were briefly in the first division. 

Bramley ,shame about them. Always enjoyed going to Mclaren Field always had a warm welcome.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted some time back (years) that the Hull derby was the biggest locally but Wigan v Saints was the biggest nationally.

That still stands.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

An interesting piece in The Times yesterday suggested that Lord Derby only really liked two sporting events to have his name.  The classic horse race at Epsom and the Saints -v- Wigan rugby match.  I presume the latter represented the sides geographically from the two ends of the family estate.

On 15/04/2022 at 08:57, Harry Stottle said:

Not counting shared pitches in our game for completely different venues is there any closer than Leigh Miners and Leigh East approx 250 yards between the clubs.

Don't like the new Leigh East ground. Can only stand along one side and behind sticks. Got balls flying everywhere from kids/other pitches. 

9 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

I thought that everyone was against having local teams playing each other in SL?

I thought that it was only big cities that were needed and close rivalries were frowned upon...

Or is that just for the WF postcode?

Nope, the "new derby" has a distance of 120 miles between the competing teams.

Archived