Wales U16s beat England Lions U16

No idea how strong this England team is but good to see a decent crowd in Llanelli for a competitive game.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

All credit to the young dragons here, had a game plan and executed it excellently.

The England team was made up of players from the community clubs such as Saddleworth and Leigh East. 

Great to show the talent available in Wales.

Stand outs in red and ones to watch for the future…

Troy Shearan, a back rower who played much of his junior rugby league at 9 and 6 so has the skill set to ball-play.

Lloyd McEwan-Peters, Yorkshire born. Big, strong strike-running centre. 

The challenge now as ever is to keep these boys in RL and away from the clutches of rugby union. The Salford link remains imperatively key. 

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

All credit to the young dragons here, had a game plan and executed it excellently.

The England team was made up of players from the community clubs such as Saddleworth and Leigh East. 

Troy Shearan, a back rower who played much of his junior rugby league at 9 and 6 so has the skill set to ball-play.

The challenge now as ever is to keep these boys in RL and away from the clutches of rugby union. The Salford link remains imperatively key. 

Does anyone know, where the players came from?

I mean which Welsh clubs were represented today?

I'm trying to find out if anyone from Aberavon played.

21 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Forgive my ignorance but does this mean that players picked up by the professional Academies were not playing or is this before they enter that scheme?

Anyway, that's not taking anything away from the Welsh lads on a great win.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Troy is an ex pupil of mine. Far bigger than any kid in his year group, at union he got used to being a Jonah Lomu type. Good to see that he’s been developed as a rounded player as he did have good skills. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Forgive my ignorance but does this mean that players picked up by the professional Academies were not playing or is this before they enter that scheme?

Anyway, that's not taking anything away from the Welsh lads on a great win.

It's the community Lions, so only players from community clubs, Jermaine McGillvary's nephew's son played on the wing

• Thanks 1

I’m down in South Wales visiting some of my wife’s family. A couple of the lads in the Welsh team are team mates of my nephew from his union club, and have been signed up by Salford. Who I’ve been told are quite regular visitors down in the valleys.

good result for the Welsh lads.

edit. From talking to my brother in law, who was involved in coaching at his local union club (ex RL player from hull - by the way) a number of the 15-18 year olds are all keen to play RL, and are NRL fans.. though sadly it seems less so SL, which tells you something.

despite all the false dawns, every time I visit South Wales I always feel there’s still genuine opportunity for RL down there.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just watching this match and really impressed with it.

A windy day has caused a few dropped passes but in the main it's a very skillful display and the one on one tackling has been really great.

Well done to the Welsh Rugby League for the work they are doing down here and long may it continue.

I hope we can keep growing the game steadily into the future.

I'm looking forward to the day when my own club, is represented in these International selections. 

• Like 1