Jump to content

Are Lebanon slept on?


Recommended Posts

I understand the hype around the Pacific Island nations as they can fill their squads with NRL talent. However Lebanon have what PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga dont have is a great halves pairing . Mitchell Moses is is one of the best halfback is the NRL, while Adam Douiehi was easily Tigers best player last year before he tore his ACL. They will have backs like Josh Mansour and Jacob Kiraz who has impressed and is future star in the NRL. Brad Morkos plaed Under 19's NSW and is Australian Schoolboys centre, plus Jason Saab who may be eligble not sure on that one. Yes on paper the Pacific Island nations are stronger but remember Lebanon only lost to Tonga by 2 points in RLWC2017 quarter finals. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Lebanon need more games. If the NRL decide to just play Oceania tournaments at the end of the season then I'd include Lebanon in a NH tournament with England, France, Wales etc

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have 3-4 fowards who will be making NRL debut soon also.  Moses has stated he will be playing was watching Lebanon v Malta game along with Douiehi. They should make it out of  their group. There is an argument they will have 3rd best halves pairing in the World Cup. If a Samoa or Tonga are off I can see them beating them. 

Being apart of junior rugby league in Sydney there are high amounts of players of  Lebanese heritage won't be surprised if you see and entire NRL team of Lebanon players in 10 years time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Lebanon need more games. If the NRL decide to just play Oceania tournaments at the end of the season then I'd include Lebanon in a NH tournament with England, France, Wales etc

If anything Lebanon, like Scotland in 2013-16, could also provide England (with NRL players) with a major hit out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If anything Lebanon, like Scotland in 2013-16, could also provide England (with NRL players) with a major hit out.

That's what I was thinking. It's looking unlikely that they'll be a 4N or something similar every year between WCs so add Lebanon to the Euros at the end of the season. Euro A could be England, France, Wales and Lebanon which would provide some competition for England and also allow the other 3 to have a regular competitive tournament. With a bit of momentum behind it then it could build a bit of a profile 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

That's what I was thinking. It's looking unlikely that they'll be a 4N or something similar every year between WCs so add Lebanon to the Euros at the end of the season. Euro A could be England, France, Wales and Lebanon which would provide some competition for England and also allow the other 3 to have a regular competitive tournament. With a bit of momentum behind it then it could build a bit of a profile 

The Southern Hemisphere nations are coming to the UK and France in 2023 or 2024 according to Steve Mascord. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The Southern Hemisphere nations are coming to the UK and France in 2023 or 2024 according to Steve Mascord. 

That's good news. Hopefully it's a regular thing between WCs. I'd still add Lebanon to the Euros for the years in between. If there's a WC then 1 or 2 competitions involving SH and NH sides plus a Euros each four year cycle then that's a decent structure.

Maybe something like WC, 4/6 N , Euros, 4/6 N, WC or WC, Euros, 4/6 N, Euros, WC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Lebanon need more games. If the NRL decide to just play Oceania tournaments at the end of the season then I'd include Lebanon in a NH tournament with England, France, Wales etc

They also need to try and develop juniors in their own comp. Easier said than done i know, but it needs to be done. Then hopefully them talented juniors will get picked up by Super league clubs and then if they progress again into the NRL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve always believed there should be regional tournaments at least once every World Cup cycle including full strength teams. Lebanon could be a good addition to the Europe comp to add some strength assuming they could get players released. Not in Europe sure but some creative naming could get around that or just call it Northern Hemisphere championship and include North American nations as well.

NH Championships: England, France, Ireland, Lebanon, Wales, Jamaica. 

SH Championships: Australia, NZ, PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa. 

Run tier 2 comps underneath as well. Southern Hemisphere obviously a lot stronger but it would still provide some decent hit-outs for England.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They also need to try and develop juniors in their own comp. Easier said than done i know, but it needs to be done. Then hopefully them talented juniors will get picked up by Super league clubs and then if they progress again into the NRL

A few years ago there seemed to be some good things happening in Lebanon. Have they still got a domestic competition and is the game being played in schools, colleges and universities?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JM2010 said:

A few years ago there seemed to be some good things happening in Lebanon. Have they still got a domestic competition and is the game being played in schools, colleges and universities?

The last i heard they still had their own competition and some universities were playing games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The last i heard they still had their own competition and some universities were playing games

If they could start playing some regular internationals then hopefully this could help create more interest in Lebanon

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lebanon is another massive open goal we just seem incapable of putting the ball into as a sport. I cant think of any sport that Lebanon can legitimately compete with the likes of England, France, NZ in, there is a domestic competition and a good pool of heritage players. The slightest bit of effort and investment and you could see the sport really taking off in part of the world where there wouldnt be much competition.

  • Like 4

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...