Halifax (H)

Wakefield Ram

53 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fax have won 10 of their last 11 games so nobody will be expecting anything other than a comprehensive defeat. The squad just announced offers no real incentive to believe otherwise, either.

Rams 10 - 38 Fax

Att: 955

Still missing Magrin, Annakin, Ferguson, Peltier in the forwards and assume Eliot Morris and Garside not eligible, so a whole pack missing. Other than that not sure who else we'd pick.

Halifax have spent the money and are reaping the benefits. We haven't and it shows.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Scoreline about right, I would hope for a bigger crowd though. 😀

There were not many more at FAX.  RL top to bottom is really in the doldrums at the moment. The game needs a very good World Cup. Look what that lady MP said,talking about the Wilkinson drop goal,mixing RL with union.I don't blame her at all. The game needs to get a proper international game going.Some  hope, the SKY money has been totally waisted over the years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, silcoates said:

There were not many more at FAX.  RL top to bottom is really in the doldrums at the moment. The game needs a very good World Cup. Look what that lady MP said,talking about the Wilkinson drop goal,mixing RL with union.I don't blame her at all. The game needs to get a proper international game going.Some  hope, the SKY money has been totally waisted over the years.

I agree with most of that although i would hope with our current form we would be bringing a large following over. 

• Like 1

Could be 16-12 if we’d taken the two for each of those kickable penalties.  In fact they might not even be 16 if we’d have gone for the second penalty.  Poor game management 😤

Given we have struggled to score all season, we should have taken kickable penalties to build confidence and just keep in touch. Could have been 16-10 at HT. 

If we could just cut out the errors - Turner running into touch 1st tackle 10m out, Turner again forward pass from drop out and various players throwing poor passes out early in the tackle count and we need to be organised on 6th tackle. Only one kick to Gabriel, Sykes chipping through with no one chasing...and what is the point of putting high balls up and letting them catch unchallenged? And why bring Kidd on with 4 minutes to go?

But credit to the players for sticking to the task. Think London's win means we are down now, but hopefully we can improve and win at least one game before the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Could be 16-12 if we’d taken the two for each of those kickable penalties.  In fact they might not even be 16 if we’d have gone for the second penalty.  Poor game management 😤

Poor game management continues to baffle me as well. Every kick off up in the air...why not a drilled low kick bouncing alll over the place.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what went on with the penalty just before half-time. All players looked to be calling for the kick at goal 🤷‍♂️

Think some of the fax fans were a little frustrated that they weren't further in front at half time. To be fair when fax turned it on they were much better. Having said that when you get away with slinging the ball forward as much as they did not a lot you can do. 

Much better effort today from the lads but honestly can't see enough for is to secure championship status, but optimistic enough to see potential to be a force in championship 1 next season.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

26 minutes ago, muddyfunster said:

I'm not sure what went on with the penalty just before half-time. All players looked to be calling for the kick at goal 🤷‍♂️

Think some of the fax fans were a little frustrated that they weren't further in front at half time. To be fair when fax turned it on they were much better. Having said that when you get away with slinging the ball forward as much as they did not a lot you can do. 

Much better effort today from the lads but honestly can't see enough for is to secure championship status, but optimistic enough to see potential to be a force in championship 1 next season.

It was a differential penalty from offside at a scrum, so not kickable. But we did turn down 4 points from two kickable penalties and give the ball away both times on 2nd tackle 

6 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It was a differential penalty from offside at a scrum, so not kickable. But we did turn down 4 points from two kickable penalties and give the ball away both times on 2nd tackle 

Thanks. Didn't think the ref was capable of knowing such rules, afterall he struggled with even some of the basics.🤣

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

Overall I thought that our performance was slightly better, particularly in the first half. We looked more creative and enterprising with the ball and defended reasonably well. Fax are a good side, well organised and used to playing together. Keys, in particular, was impressive and caused us problems throughout. Our one-on-one tackling techniques are poor and, too often, their man broke free on second effort leaving us to make a couple of desperate cover tackles.

I am optimistic that we can pinch a couple of results before the season's end, for the sake of morale, if nothing else. Our chances of survival are very thin, however unless Batley decide to gift us a couple of wins just to keep us in the same division.

MoM awards continue to baffle me.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

42 minutes ago, muddyfunster said:

Thanks. Didn't think the ref was capable of knowing such rules, afterall he struggled with even some of the basics.🤣

My favorite decisions of the afternoon were in the first half. Walmsley is getting dragged in to touch and passes the ball back, the ref says that he had already called held and gives a penalty to Dewsbury. 2 minutes later Dewsbury player offloads in the tackle and the ref says that he had called held and gives him the ball back and lets him play the ball. I think that just about sums up how inconsistant he was for both teams all afternoon.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

My favorite decisions of the afternoon were in the first half. Walmsley is getting dragged in to touch and passes the ball back, the ref says that he had already called held and gives a penalty to Dewsbury. 2 minutes later Dewsbury player offloads in the tackle and the ref says that he had called held and gives him the ball back and lets him play the ball. I think that just about sums up how inconsistant he was for both teams all afternoon.

The first decision was obstruction against a Halifax player for pulling back a Dewsbury player as Walmsley ran the ball out. This was before they started dragging Walmsley into touch. The 2nd was right. Ref called held, player didn't hear, so ref stopped play and re-started tackle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Overall I thought that our performance was slightly better, particularly in the first half. We looked more creative and enterprising with the ball and defended reasonably well. Fax are a good side, well organised and used to playing together. Keys, in particular, was impressive and caused us problems throughout. Our one-on-one tackling techniques are poor and, too often, their man broke free on second effort leaving us to make a couple of desperate cover tackles.

I am optimistic that we can pinch a couple of results before the season's end, for the sake of morale, if nothing else. Our chances of survival are very thin, however unless Batley decide to gift us a couple of wins just to keep us in the same division.

MoM awards continue to baffle me.

Spot on post BSJ.

5 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Yes another unforced error.

C.Ock up award for today has to go to Turner🤔

Throwing a forward pass on halfway without a Halifax player within 10 yards

If a moment of brainfart ever deserved a £20 fine.. 🤔

That was undoubtedly it 🤔

Edited by coolie

I will suggest that there were (first half) improvements, but Liam has a long way to go to get the players to the requirements he wants, but is the current squad capable of reaching a higher standard?

We still prefer not to back up teammates; we still pass the ball unnecessarily, noticed on one occasion in the first half on attack when there was a clear gap 20 metres out from the Halifax line, it seemed easier for the ball handler to shoot through and score, but he preferred to send out a wayward pass. A lot to do!

As Coolie remarked, Turner had a really poor game, failing to catch a ball on the full and the bounce fell nicely for Halifax to score. NEVER LET A RUGBY BALL BOUNCE CALUM!!! That  forward pass was awful and I think he should have bagged a hat-trick of tries to counter his errors, not just one. One other thing: can someone tell me what Blackmore  does to merit selection over Carr? I can’t recall him doing anything useful since he joined us.

I need to see the highlights because I think the first try was from a forward pass, likewise Joe Martin’s touchdown. There were other Halifax forward passes missed by Mr Vella, but he saw ours, except on one occasion I recall. They were good at slowing down our PTB (not that we are past masters at the quick one anyway), but they do know how to speed things up when necessary.

Listening to Grix’s interview on Radio Leeds, I thought he carefully “did us down” when saying that he made changes to suit playing a team second bottom and then suggesting that his team was “not at the races” and playing under par.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

We can all have the opportunity  to hear what Liam has to say and ask him about his plans for improving the players if we go to Knowles testimonial evening on Friday. There have been moans on here in the past about not engaging with fans, now is your chance.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

We can all have the opportunity  to hear what Liam has to say and ask him about his plans for improving the players if we go to Knowles testimonial evening on Friday. There have been moans on here in the past about not engaging with fans, now is your chance.

Might be an idea for the Media Manager to publicise that then.

5 hours ago, silcoates said:

Well we've got a few virgin turnstiles and a duff scoreboard to take into champ 1.

Have you thought of putting yourself forward and volunteer to man one of the “virgin turnstiles”? You do know they are volunteers that manage the turnstiles don’t you?