Jump to content

Rugby League Tour de France


Recommended Posts


It's so refreshing to see someone talking so positively about the sport. The game in France is going from strength to strength at the moment and its so exciting! Great to hear the venues for 2025 will be sorted by the start of next year, can't wait for 2025 and taking a month off work to follow the world cup round France! 😁🇫🇷

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent. The Elite 1 and 2 comps seems to have regressed a bit over the last few years, certainly in terms of numbers and spread of teams, so hopefully this will give the domestic game a big boost. 
For what it’s worth I wouldnt play the final in Paris either, I’d have it much nearer where the game is played so RL fans and players can get there more easily - Marseille would be perfect. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It's so refreshing to see someone talking so positively about the sport. The game in France is going from strength to strength at the moment and its so exciting! Great to hear the venues for 2025 will be sorted by the start of next year, can't wait for 2025 and taking a month off work to follow the world cup round France! 😁🇫🇷

Fancy a summer holiday in France in 2025 sweetheart? Oh yes please, where are we going, Paris, the Loire Valley, the Riviera? No Auxerre, to see the Cook Islands v Jamaica. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fancy a summer holiday in France in 2025 sweetheart? Oh yes please, where are we going, Paris, the Loire Valley, the Riviera? No Auxerre, to see the Cook Islands v Jamaica. 

"No we're not staying in a 5* beachfront hotel on the riviera, sipping champagne on the terrace sat watching the sun set over the Mediterranean, we're having a tour of rundown, working class towns and cities and visiting all the best 10,000 capacity community athletics stadiums while staying in dilapidated hostels with 1,000s of other peed up Northerners!! Rugby League!!! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Excellent. The Elite 1 and 2 comps seems to have regressed a bit over the last few years, certainly in terms of numbers and spread of teams, so hopefully this will give the domestic game a big boost. 
For what it’s worth I wouldnt play the final in Paris either, I’d have it much nearer where the game is played so RL fans and players can get there more easily - Marseille would be perfect. 

Marseilles would be my choice for the final as well. I'd maybe only have a couple of games in Paris, maybe France's group opener and a semi. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t be against a Paris final. A capacity, at present, of 48,500 at Parc Des Princes is a decent sized venue compared to the 81,000 Stade de France, which is fanciful to think we’d fill that. A presence in the capital is quite important overall. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Marseilles would be my choice for the final as well. I'd maybe only have a couple of games in Paris, maybe France's group opener and a semi. 

Moulin Rouge for that?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally mis understood the topic title and thought.. well one of the mountain stages is surely at Batley

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paris has become a sort of lost El Dorado for french TGG too important to ignore and too biased to know what to do about it.

 

  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusscouldn'tcareless v Keith AWOL Tory vast majority in the making.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Paris has become a sort of lost El Dorado for french TGG too important to ignore and too biased to know what to do about it.

 

Is it too important to ignore? The distance from Paris to the French heartlands is much more than London to ours, yet there’s only one London game at the England World Cup.  The south of France is huge, no problem with focusing the tournament there, where the game is currently played imho. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is it too important to ignore?

Yes!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusscouldn'tcareless v Keith AWOL Tory vast majority in the making.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I’d like to, there’s no way I can justify a month in France. I had a decent pot saved up and saw as much of the 2013 tournament as I wanted taking in games in Limerick, London, Bristol and Cardiff along the way. Good times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jughead said:

As much as I’d like to, there’s no way I can justify a month in France. I had a decent pot saved up and saw as much of the 2013 tournament as I wanted taking in games in Limerick, London, Bristol and Cardiff along the way. Good times. 

Go for less than a month, go for as long as you can afford ..... I will.

  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusscouldn'tcareless v Keith AWOL Tory vast majority in the making.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Oxford said:

Go for less than a month, go for as long as you can afford ..... I will.

I will see closer to the time though any World Cup isn’t going to live up to that 2013 one, travelling across the UK to watch that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I will see closer to the time though any World Cup isn’t going to live up to that 2013 one, travelling across the UK to watch that. 

The only thing wrong I can see is that RLWC will get better each time we have one and the food's always been better in France.

  • Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusscouldn'tcareless v Keith AWOL Tory vast majority in the making.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends what your level of ambition is, doesn't it?

Can you have a great, worthwhile world cup without Paris? Yes.

Can you become a leading sport in France without Paris? Probably not.

How much money would you need for RL to 'crack Paris'? Probably more than we will ever have. Even football has struggled without zillionnaires.

  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paris Final would be a disaster i have made my opinion very clear to Luc on this Marseille would be my choice for the Final.

No problem with games in places like Nantes/Calais/Lille/Lens etc but Paris sorry no.

 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paris Final would be a disaster i have made my opinion very clear to Luc on this Marseille would be my choice for the Final.

No problem with games in places like Nantes/Calais/Lille/Lens etc but Paris sorry no.

 

Why would using the capital city and one of the most iconic cities on the planet be a “disaster” and why would Marseille  (100km from Avignon) be any better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Already looking to source a second hand campervan so I can follow the tournament! The alternative may be cycling and camping!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I am still alive in 2025, anyone passing by chez Kiggy is more than welcome to stop and have a beer and a chat. We are just north of the A64 near Tarbes, which is the main road from Biarritz to Toulouse and then the A61 to Carcassonne and on to Narbonne 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Why would using the capital city and one of the most iconic cities on the planet be a “disaster” and why would Marseille  (100km from Avignon) be any better?

What’s the distance to Avignon got to do with it, is that your barometer for how good a candidate a city is? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, kiggy said:

If I am still alive in 2025, anyone passing by chez Kiggy is more than welcome to stop and have a beer and a chat. We are just north of the A64 near Tarbes, which is the main road from Biarritz to Toulouse and then the A61 to Carcassonne and on to Narbonne 

If all goes to plan, I'll have retired just before the tournament so I might just take you up on that Kiggy.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What’s the distance to Avignon got to do with it, is that your barometer for how good a candidate a city is? 

It’s quite isolated in terms of locality to the French heartlands, aside from a fourth tier side, so I’m merely curious why Marseille is seen as such a “must” for a final beyond the venue size. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...