• Germany
    • Spain
    • Italy
    • France
    • Portugal
    • Norway
    • Don't Care

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/07/22 at 11:00

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

My opinion (backed up, I'm confident in saying, by anyone who does genuinely go to women's games and actually watches the matches on TV etc):

Have to disagree on that, you only had to watch the final to see some of it going on.  Now is it anywhere as bad as the mens game?  No.  Do we see the same hysterical rolling round?  No.   But to say that there isn't any drawing of foals or staying down after a light knock is pushing it.  

I'm mean there was some blatant hithousery on display last night from a cynical German team....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Have to disagree on that, you only had to watch the final to see some of it going on.  Now is it anywhere as bad as the mens game?  No.  Do we see the same hysterical rolling round?  No.   But to say that there isn't any drawing of foals or staying down after a light knock is pushing it.  

I'm mean there was some blatant hithousery on display last night from a cynical German team....

I thought there was plenty of horsing around going on.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think you need to reread what is being said here - maybe it's not as clear as I thought.

The comment that sparked the original tweet and my quote tweet was on the BBC. It was from whatsisface Foster and he said that you don't see cynical play in women's football which is why he likes it. He also said he'd watched the game.

Simply put: there is no way he can have watched the game and come to that conclusion. Germany were dirty at times, the bar I was in was cheering every single one of Beth Mead's dives by the end because they were so obvious, and, for the final ten minutes, England were allowed to properly shthouse the clock down by a ref who couldn't work out how to stop them.

The atmosphere in and around the grounds is different - genuinely so and that applies to all levels. There is less aggro than you'd get at a rugby league match.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I think you need to reread what is being said here - maybe it's not as clear as I thought.

The comment that sparked the original tweet and my quote tweet was on the BBC. It was from whatsisface Foster and he said that you don't see cynical play in women's football which is why he likes it. He also said he'd watched the game.

Simply put: there is no way he can have watched the game and come to that conclusion. Germany were dirty at times, the bar I was in was cheering every single one of Beth Mead's dives by the end because they were so obvious, and, for the final ten minutes, England were allowed to properly shthouse the clock down by a ref who couldn't work out how to stop them.

The atmosphere in and around the grounds is different - genuinely so and that applies to all levels. There is less aggro than you'd get at a rugby league match.

I read the BBC comments after the match. The England coach herself said she was pleased that the ball was hardly in play for the last five minutes. 

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

I feel that the coach got the team together and believing. 

You obviously need talented players but the way she has now managed two sides to the same title cannot be an accident. Personally, I think it's very impressive how, for example, even the third choice keeper is as much part of the team - and accepting of her role, and the others *of* her role - as the ones who who are guaranteed starters.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I should also add, I was really pleased to hear the players, when asked what they were going to do next, look happy with what they've done before adding: There's a World Cup next year.

I mean, we're not going to get head of the US, and Germany and others will now know what to expect, but it's a decent attitude to have.

18m viewers in Germany. 65% share of the TV audience and the biggest viewing figures on German TV this year.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 16:10, gingerjon said:

At the 3 games I attended the atmosphere was excellent. Great fun. No under one of violence just families having a great time

• Like 3

Athletics Weekly has a picture of Keely Hodgkinson (world 800m silver medallist) and Ella Toone, on the track at Leigh Sports Village, as kids having taken part in a school sports day there. Shows what a difference having facilities like LSV can make.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Athletics Weekly has a picture of Keely Hodgkinson (world 800m silver medallist) and Ella Toone, on the track at Leigh Sports Village, as kids having taken part in a school sports day there. Shows what a difference having facilities like LSV can make.

Jokes about trains aside ... there aren't enough football pitches for all the football clubs and training sessions wanted in Hastings. The main multi-use sports facility (mainly used for cricket, hockey and five-a-side) - built 30 years+ ago - is about to be torn down for houses with the replacement mooted, but not confirmed, as being accessible only via car and on a sight owned by an independent school who will have first use of it. 

• Sad 1