The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

50 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Apparently Croft and Ackers have been at Headingley today to do press shoots, announced tomorrow.

Thats a fabulous bit of business for Leeds, Ackers will help Croft settle in

Yeah two great signings if they come off. For a spell it looked like Wigan were going to be out on their own next season with the signings they’d made. With the players now confirmed to be leaving Wigan and Leeds signings looks like they could be in the mix as well. 

There's no relegation though, and they've finished OK the last two seasons, so should score reasonably well on that metric even if they struggle a bit next season? In any event if you look at the way they've gone about things recently, and with a decent coach, you wouldn't bet against them doing better than some other clubs might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DACS said:

There's no relegation though, and they've finished OK the last two seasons, so should score reasonably well on that metric even if they struggle a bit next season? In any event if you look at the way they've gone about things recently, and with a decent coach, you wouldn't bet against them doing better than some other clubs might.

I really hope that the SL incumbency advantages in the IMG system don't lead to clubs actually reducing investment in playing squad (or anything else) due to a reduced risk of relegation.

15 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I really hope that the SL incumbency advantages in the IMG system don't lead to clubs actually reducing investment in playing squad (or anything else) due to a reduced risk of relegation.

What it might do is stop clubs throwing silly money at average overseas players and mansge the cap better by giving decent British or French players a go instead.

• Like 5

Imagine donating some of your hard earned cash to Salford earlier in the year on the proviso that the club will not be selling its best players, sorry, but that's just very poor on so many levels, Dupree, Croft, Ackers all gone, who's next?? embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

This for me, if I was an owner I’d spend as little as I could on the team outside the top flight. Also in the top flight too if I was exempt from relegation. For SL clubs it would go to paying off existing debts and for champ clubs to upgrade things to get the A grade. 

Edited by Rovers13

10 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

leaves a massive hole in Salfords squad for next year. They've been struggling in the pack for a while now but they at least had top class pivots to get them out of jail.

Can only really judge once their squad is finalised. If I were a Salford fan, I'd be hoping they bring in a new half back, but fearing they move Brierley there and put Ethan Ryan at full back, meaning they're weaker in both positions.

13 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

This for me, if I was an owner I’d spend as little as I could on the team outside the top flight. Also in the top flight too if I was exempt from relegation. For SL clubs it would go to paying off existing debts and for champ clubs to upgrade things to get the A grade. 

Then you’d be daft, having a competitive team on the pitch brings more than just positions in the league ladder, it brings more engagement, more fans, more sponsors, more income, and in turn better gradings.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Then you’d be daft, having a competitive team on the pitch brings more than just positions in the league ladder, it brings more engagement, more fans, more sponsors, more income, and in turn better gradings.

I wouldn’t invest in RL anyway so it’s a moot point lol, but if I was saving 1m plus a season do you think I’d care about those things lol. 

9 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I wouldn’t invest in RL anyway so it’s a moot point lol, but if I was saving 1m plus a season do you think I’d care about those things lol. 

As I say if you didn’t youd be daft.

put it this way if London have a good year and end up mid table do you think that would hinder or help their gradings?

If Featherstone have a terrible year on the pitch do you think that would help or hinder their gradings?

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

put it this way if London have a good year and end up mid table do you think that would hinder or help their gradings?

If Featherstone have a terrible year on the pitch do you think that would help or hinder their gradings?

On field performance is minimal in the gradings, that’s if what’s in the public domain is what’s going to happen, winning a GF or putting up LED boards , boards would outscore that. 

22 hours ago, Nothus said:

So what was the issue with Leeds if Nene is coming back to the UK? Can't have been homesick/young family issues like many assumed?

It was reported at the time as something like "returned home for family reasons" making it sound like a permanent move - I think most of us assumed it was this not knowing it was specifically about paternity leave and not permanent.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

On field performance is minimal in the gradings, that’s if what’s in the public domain is what’s going to happen, winning a GF or putting up LED boards , boards would outscore that. 

If you do the treble at Championship level you end up with more IMG points than 10th place in SL, if a team with decent facilities scoring and an average above 3k can have a 2/3 year period of dominance at the top of the champ they should be there or thereabouts for a place in SL. Winning the championship GF carries the same weight as the challenge cup.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

If you do the treble at Championship level you end up with more IMG points than 10th place in SL, if a team with decent facilities scoring and an average above 3k can have a 2/3 year period of dominance at the top of the champ they should be there or thereabouts for a place in SL. Winning the championship GF carries the same weight as the challenge cup.

3k attendance outside top flight? Not a chance. Teams didn’t average that last season with promotion available lol. Plus champ clubs will never outscore the top 12 on crowds because even a poorly supported home club will get Wigan saints etc going to their grounds. Crowds in champ next season are more likely to drop not improve. 

Edited by Rovers13

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

3k attendance outside top flight? Not a chance. Teams didn’t average that last season with promotion available lol. 

If you are saying that being no direct route through promotion then the fans of Championship clubs will start to drift away then I totally agree with you.

As a fan of a SL club I am dreading the very strong possibility of games that will mean nothing by the result, I would sooner be in a relegation battle with a focus and have something to play for, I have been a season ticket holder for years but I am going to consider is it worth buying one for next season as I have no intention of attending games if my team is involved in games with no meaning.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If you are saying that being no direct route through promotion then the fans of Championship clubs will start to drift away then I totally agree with you.

As a fan of a SL club I am dreading the very strong possibility of games that will mean nothing by the result, I would sooner be in a relegation battle with a focus and have something to play for, I have been a season ticket holder for years but I am going to consider is it worth buying one for next season as I have no intention of attending games if my team is involved in games with no meaning.

Yeah Harry that’s what I was hinting at, crowds are more likely to decrease than increase. As for myself nope I won’t be getting one as I said last licensing system to my wife, anything like this comes back I’m done and she’s holding me too it she’s now looking for things to do already on a Sunday lol. But sport to me is about winning and losing on the field, I was devastated we lost to London but that’s how I should feel walking away from a game, not oh well didn’t matter anyway. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You’re disregarding the other benefits in field performance brings.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yet I bet you’ve attended games throughout your time supporting RL with ‘no meaning’

Leigh might be challenging at the top end again why would your games have ‘no meaning’?