The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

15 hours ago, phiggins said:

Bower reporting that Milford now looks like he'll be turning Leigh down. Becoming Lam and Chester's first bump in recruitment having missed out on Tyrone May, seemingly been priced out of any move for Croft and now Milford turning us down.

Mr Lam is though in the best place possible at the moment to rectify Miffords rejection I would have thought, if he decides on someone Mr Beaumont and Mr Chester need to trust his judgement and leave him to it.

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

'Average Journeyman", he's an established first-grade halfback who took the 6 jerseys at Canberra off Jack Wighton. It's not every day an "average journeyman" is chosen over an Origin player. He's had a great year in the NRL and is a very talented player.

I always love the dichotomy on this forum between NRL players are all amazing compared to SL players...also any signing from NRL is to be roundly mocked as they are over the hill or journeymen 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Wighton got moved because the Raiders outside backs got decimated by injury and he is comfortable at full back and centre. 

The stats for when Frawley played in the halves are telling - they directly coincided with Canberras season falling apart:

Performances without Frawley

Won 12, Lost 7

Performances with Frawley in the halves

Won 1, Lost 5

After the pummelling by the Panthers earlier in the season, Frawley got dropped in favour of Schneider. If Schneider had remained at the Raiders, there’s no guarantee that Frawley would have even played at the back end of the season when the Raiders season fell away

Keep talking when he’s dominating the SL next year mate.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NRLandSL said:

Im not sure he’ll dominate but I think he’ll do a very good job in the role he’s been brought in to do.

If we can keep the squad relatively healthy we will have a lot of attacking options throughout the backline and Frawley’s job will be to help facilitate that, we don’t necessarily need a flashy halfback just one with some intelligence and reliability 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

My point being Harry is you say you might not get a ST because there might be some meaningless games (there are in any system) when in fact most of Leighs games next year could mean a lot if they are challenging for the playoffs.

Your team will be involved in a league ladder and not a spreadsheet exercise. 

You do whatever you feel is right but to say you’re not going to get a ST after the year your club has had seems odd to me, each to their own.

It is not my team I am objecting to Chris if you actually read what I have said, it is the system that is going to be employed, it will come to some SL teams though  who will expierence "meaningless" games as well you know, and to go back to what originated this discussion from Rovers post it will apply to nearly all of the Championship clubs, unless of course their ambition exceeds no further than the GF win, minus promotion.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It is not my team I am objecting to Chris if you actually read what I have said, it is the system that is going to be employed, it will come to some SL teams though  who will expierence "meaningless" games as well you know, and to go back to what originated this discussion from Rovers post it will apply to nearly all of the Championship clubs, unless of course their ambition exceeds no further than the GF win, minus promotion.

Of course it’s your team if you are saying you won’t buy a ST for, you know, your team.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

That was a few years ago, how did Cogger get on at the giants and how’s he doing now 😉

I still don't rate Cogger, despite some of the OTT praise he's had this year. I mean let's be honest, with the Panthers system and Cleary and Yeo as the main ball players, anyone could do a job in that supporting half. I doubt he'll get a look in at the Knights unless there's injuries

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Just like he dominated SL when he was at the Giants? 🤣

I had actually forgot he was at the Giants such was the impression he made on SL, but time may have improved him, let's see, after all there are a number of those deemed surplus to requirement in the NRL that make a very good impression in SL, e.g. Croft, Lam, French, Field, May, Schnieder, Clifford.

12 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

You do know he’s played in SL before and was pretty underwhelming!

Frawley to me is the definition of ‘average NRL journeyman’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

'Average Journeyman", he's an established first-grade halfback who took the 6 jerseys at Canberra off Jack Wighton. It's not every day an "average journeyman" is chosen over an Origin player. He's had a great year in the NRL and is a very talented player.

He only started 5 games for Canberra last year as a half last year and only played 8 games in total. That's hardly great year stuff. In total he only played 22 games for the Raiders over 4 seasons after being at Huddersfield the year before, then the Bulldogs before that. Its pretty much the definition of an average journeyman.

He may go well in SL, he may not. Big names hardly set the world alight anyway and some of the best have been players like Blake Green who also came with a pretty average CV.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I still don't rate Cogger, despite some of the OTT praise he's had this year. I mean let's be honest, with the Panthers system and Cleary and Yeo as the main ball players, anyone could do a job in that supporting half. I doubt he'll get a look in at the Knights unless there's injuries

Well yes the point being rating him on one year at hudds 4 years ago isn’t really a barometer of anything.

Hes not flashy he’s a steady half being brought in to do a job, hell go ok

Leeds have obviously splashed the cash a little and have recruited to plug the gaps of the last few years. I think there's probably question marks over all of the signings, but in different ways. Big price tags like on Croft can make or break a player and I think the others still have a bit to prove so it will be interesting to see if they can handle playing at a big club like Leeds.

I think generally it is always easier for any signing to settle in to a solid club with a strong culture , that's why Saints have been able to sign practically anyone and they can just slot right in. These signings will have to hit the ground running in a team that has been poor, that's not always easy to do when you are making a number of signings and simultaneously trying to improve that culture.

Regardless they have done what they needed to do and have certainly recruited some exciting players so there's enough to give the fans some decent hope for next season. The rest is up to the coaching and backroom staff at Headingley to get the rest in place.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Leeds have obviously splashed the cash a little and have recruited to plug the gaps of the last few years. I think there's probably question marks over all of the signings, but in different ways. Big price tags like on Croft can make or break a player and I think the others still have a bit to prove so it will be interesting to see if they can handle playing at a big club like Leeds.

I think generally it is always easier for any signing to settle in to a solid club with a strong culture , that's why Saints have been able to sign practically anyone and they can just slot right in. These signings will have to hit the ground running in a team that has been poor, that's not always easy to do when you are making a number of signings and simultaneously trying to improve that culture.

Regardless they have done what they needed to do and have certainly recruited some exciting players so there's enough to give the fans some decent hope for next season. The rest is up to the coaching and backroom staff at Headingley to get the rest in place.

I don’t think we had a choice, endless talks of transitions etc was wearing thin for a lot of people and the club knew that.

Of course this might not work and it also may take a while to click but the club had to make a statement of intent and I think they’ve done that

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

He only started 5 games for Canberra last year as a half last year and only played 8 games in total. That's hardly great year stuff. In total he only played 22 games for the Raiders over 4 seasons after being at Huddersfield the year before, then the Bulldogs before that. Its pretty much the definition of an average journeyman.

He may go well in SL, he may not. Big names hardly set the world alight anyway and some of the best have been players like Blake Green who also came with a pretty average CV.

Though he hasn't played much this year, every time he has played this he's looked fantastic. He scored a crucial try in the dying embers of a quarter-final to send the game to golden point. He ended up being crucial in Canberra late season push for finals. He's not a world-class half-back but he has proved many times he is very much capable of performing at the top level. 

I just don't think it's remotely fair to refer to a player in such good form as an "average journeyman"

Edited by NRLandSL

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t think we had a choice, endless talks of transitions etc was wearing thin for a lot of people and the club knew that.

Of course this might not work and it also may take a while to click but the club had to make a statement of intent and I think they’ve done that

As I said you've done what you needed to do, I'm not knocking it.

43 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im not sure he’ll dominate but I think he’ll do a very good job in the role he’s been brought in to do.

If we can keep the squad relatively healthy we will have a lot of attacking options throughout the backline and Frawley’s job will be to help facilitate that, we don’t necessarily need a flashy halfback just one with some intelligence and reliability 

i don't think he'll dominate either, but is not fair to refer to someone playing so well as an "average journeyman". He is a very solid and capable player.

Edited by NRLandSL

8 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Though he hasn't played much this year, every time he has played this he's looked fantastic. He scored a crucial try in the dying embers of a quarter-final to send the game to golden point. He ended up being crucial in Canberra late season push for finals. He's not a world-class half-back but he has proved many times he is very much capable of performing at the top level. 

I just don't think it's remotely fair to refer to a player in such good form as an "average journeyman"

He sure was absolutely crucial during Canberra's late season losing streak

52 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

5 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

i don't think he'll dominate either, but is not fair to refer to someone playing so well as an "average journeyman". He is a very solid and capable player.

Well I think we've had a Damascene conversion here!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Indeed it does at least feel like a statement, though arguably that is very Croft reliant.

FWIW, what do you think is going on with the training and physio department at Leeds mate? I know you made reference in another post to our squad looking good and keeping players fit, but looking back we seem to have been really blighted by injuries at various points throughout the past few seasons.

23 hours ago, phiggins said:

Can only really judge once their squad is finalised. If I were a Salford fan, I'd be hoping they bring in a new half back, but fearing they move Brierley there and put Ethan Ryan at full back, meaning they're weaker in both positions.

Ethan Ryan is a top class fullback. It's his best position.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police