RFL laughing emoji

Just now, Damien said:

That doesn't wash. There's a time and a place for everything, just because emojis are used frequently doesn't justify them being used when they are completely inappropriate. A governing body not mocking the teams, the league and ultimately game it governs is absolutely one of those times.

So, if it wasn't a social media admin using an inappropriate emoji, you are suggesting it is the RFL consciously mocking a professional team for conceding 100 points?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

So, if it wasn't a social media admin using an inappropriate emoji, you are suggesting it is the RFL consciously mocking a professional team for conceding 100 points?

It's a laughing emoji on the official Twitter account of the governing body at a team conceding 100 points.  Whoever did this did so on behalf of the RFL. 

I mean if Easyjet do a balls up like this it's them who get the blame and take the flack, not their social media admin. I'm not sure why you think the RFL should be treated differently. 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's a laughing emoji on the official Twitter account of the governing body at a team conceding 100 points.  Whoever did this did so on behalf of the RFL. 

I mean if Easyjet do a balls up like this it's them who get the blame and take the flack, not their social media admin. I'm not sure why you think the RFL should be treated differently. 

I am just trying to understand if you think this was a mistake, bad judgement or a deliberate and conscious attempt to mock a team?

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am just trying to understand if you think this was a mistake, bad judgement or a deliberate and conscious attempt to mock a team?

I actually don't know. I don't really think one of those things excludes the others and suspect it is all three. I certainly don't think a laughing emoji would be used if the intention wasn't to mock and that is obviously a mistake and bad judgement. 

I actually don't know. I don't really think one of those things excludes the others and suspect it is all three. I certainly don't think a laughing emoji would be used if the intention wasn't to mock and that is obviously a mistake and bad judgement. 

Yes, we will never know.

Personally, I think it is highly unlikely that the emoji was being used to mock York Rugby League club in the same way as I think it is highly unlikely that the same emoji was being used to mock Tara-Jane Stanley in the tweet posted earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

Tbh,  it looks like there is a fair bit of misuse with the emojis.  Not sure if they can look different on different devices,  but they seem to use the one bead of sweat one for a tough battle,  but that has a mouth that is laughing, so it doesn't really work. 

Similarly,  they used this one for this,  which looks like squirming from the eyes,  but the mouth is laughing also. 

I think it is just bad use of them,  some of their posts work,  some of them just look odd with the emoji they select. 

But,  I don't think it's a big deal. 

Edited by Dave T

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, we will never know.

Personally, I think it is highly unlikely that the emoji was being used to mock York Rugby League club in the same way as I think it is highly unlikely that the same emoji was being used to mock Tara-Jane Stanley in the tweet posted earlier in the thread.

The context is completely different, unless you are trying to argue that a laughing emoji is solely to mock. One is appropriate, although still seems daft, and the other is plainly wrong. I don't think there is much else to discuss on this to be honest. You either think it was wrong or not. I just dont see a liberal use of emojis as much of an excuse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Without the first emoji, it’s a perfectly fine thing to put out on social media. With the emoji, it looks unprofessional. 

That's what is boils down to. Is it really what anyone would expect from a governing body of a professional sport? I don't think it is.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tbh,  it looks like there is a fair bit of misuse with the emojis.  Not sure if they can look different on different devices,  but they seem to use the one bead of sweat one for a tough battle,  but that has a mouth that is laughing, so it doesn't really work. 

Similarly,  they used this one for this,  which looks like squirming from the eyes,  but the mouth is laughing also. 

I think it is just bad use of them,  some of their posts work,  some of them just look odd with the emoji they select. 

I agree.  This is the tweet above the Leigh/ York one.  Are they mocking these teams in a relegation battle or just using silly emoji's in a silly way.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

The context is completely different, unless you are trying to argue that a laughing emoji is solely to mock. One is appropriate, although still seems daft, and the other is plainly wrong. I don't think there is much else to discuss on this to be honest. You either think it was wrong or not. I just dont see a liberal use of emojis as much of an excuse.

I said it looked bad in the first post you quoted.  I am just saying I don't believe it was a deliberate attempt to mock.  Just poor judgement. 

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.  This is the tweet above the Leigh/ York one.  Are they mocking these teams in a relegation battle or just using silly emoji's in a silly way.

That's a cold sweat emoji used for close calls so I can see why it would be used for a relegation battle. It does look kind of weird though and wrong.

To be honest I think it reinforces Daves point. The use of emojis is often excessive and poor the more I look at that Twitter feed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's a cold sweat emoji used for close calls so I can see why it would be used for a relegation battle. It does look kind of weird though and wrong.

To be honest I think it reinforces Daves point. The use of emojis is often excessive and poor the more I look at that Twitter feed.

Yes, I agree it reinforces Dave's point (I will let is slide that I said it first)

• Haha 1

I was going to do a confused emoji to this but thought I'd better not 😀.

I put the laughing emoji in my post but deleted it before I posted.

• Haha 1

But I will say, I didn't think I would arrive at 52 years old just to argue about emoji's on the Internet. 

What a time to be alive.

• Haha 2

Just now, Dunbar said:

But I will say, I didn't think I would arrive at 52 years old just to argue about emoji's on the Internet. 

What a time to be alive.

I got to mid 40s before knowing what one was 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I actually agree, its not very professional and not what youd expect from a governing body.

Bingo.

It's not the governing body's role to be your banter mate.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think it's a big deal but only because it shows a lack of care and attention that could be easily fixed.

But no one will fix it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

The 😆 emoji sort of reminds me of how one looks when constipated and pushing hard. 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I would let this one pass to be honest.

Similar wavelength?

• Haha 4
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it. If you get 100 points stuck on you then you're going to have take the banter that will inevitably be heading your way. Seems odd coming from the governing body though. Meh.

Was quite funny being told we're the West Wales of the Championship on here, though.

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bingo.

It's not the governing body's role to be your banter mate.

I think the problem here is that the promo of stuff outside of SL is being done on the RFL social media,  which I don't think is appropriate (at this level)  -  it really should be that comps hav etheir own social media accounts,  with the RFL retweeting them. 

The RFL account really should be for the more dry announcements imho. Let the clubs and comp accounts be more fun and provocative. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the problem here is that the promo of stuff outside of SL is being done on the RFL social media,  which I don't think is appropriate (at this level)  -  it really should be that comps hav etheir own social media accounts,  with the RFL retweeting them. 

The RFL account really should be for the more dry announcements imho. Let the clubs and comp accounts be more fun and provocative. 

Yes. It's really easy to sort out.