Re Signings for 2023

graham fisher

9 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Good lad is Locky be nice for him to finish his career at Dewsbury,would have been nice at Fev but some have to move on when others are coming in.

I remember Locky coming to us on trial from the amateur game after a spell in Australia(I think)he played on the Thursday night in the reserves and had a great game and was signed straight after and the rest is history. I think Jowett was the coach at the time? 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 20:45, Crown Flatter said:

I think I would prefer Lockwood to Kirmond; I can’t put my finger on why, but perhaps it’s because he has been with us before.

The other way round for me, CF. Kirmond would be excellent for a swansong in C1.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The other way round for me, CF. Kirmond would be excellent for a swansong in C1.

Your right B Danny would be excellent for a swansong in C1.but locky's all round game is better than his so he should be first choice

Simple solution B sign both of them🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Paul Sykes re-signed yesterday and today we signed  props Ronan Dixon from York and Jack Coventry from Oldham. 
That’s it now apparently. 

I had Dewsbury down for a top two finish, but suspect 4th is more realistic 🤔

• Haha 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

A squad of 24 by early November, giving Liam a full pre-season to work with all of them, sounds spot on to me. I am not familiar with the qualities of all of them individually but in Liam we trust.

Anyone who believes that C1 will be a cakewalk needs a dose of reality but we will be in with a fighting chance and that's about all that we can ask.

Now, let's all get a season ticket bought, showing our support for the efforts of all concerned. 

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A squad of 24 by early November, giving Liam a full pre-season to work with all of them, sounds spot on to me. I am not familiar with the qualities of all of them individually but in Liam we trust.

Anyone who believes that C1 will be a cakewalk needs a dose of reality but we will be in with a fighting chance and that's about all that we can ask.

Now, let's all get a season ticket bought, showing our support for the efforts of all concerned. 

Liam said he’d got a squad of 25,he mentioned Connor Davies in his squad as well🤔

10 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Paul Sykes re-signed yesterday and today we signed  props Ronan Dixon from York and Jack Coventry from Oldham. 
That’s it now apparently. 

So NO swansongs for a couple of our elder statesmen C 

19 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Was heartening to listen to Liam Finn’s enthusiasm for the coming season.  

On the flipside it was all negativity from the chairmen. Does he actually like Rugby League??

Probably not, especially if he reads some of the comments on here and Facebook!

• Like 2

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

36 minutes ago, Rambo said:

On the flipside it was all negativity from the chairmen. Does he actually like Rugby League??

I know what you mean but what do want him to say,oh everything’s hunky dory. The game itself is in dire straits and it’s going to be very hard not for us but for a lot of clubs financially. He mentioned one club in the championship that face a uncertain future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

Was heartening to listen to Liam Finn’s enthusiasm for the coming season.  

Jesus.  Seem some ***** on here but that’s gunna take some beating.   The man is single handedly keeping us afloat. My take on it was that we’re in serious trouble and if Mark has to pay those utility bills himself we’ll be watching shaw cross next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Jesus.  Seem some ***** on here but that’s gunna take some beating.   The man is single handedly keeping us afloat. My take on it was that we’re in serious trouble and if Mark has to pay those utility bills himself we’ll be watching shaw cross next year. 

I know what your saying Nick but any idea that was put forward from the floor seemed to met with scepticism (we tried it once and it’s didn’t work was the feeling I got) and just an acceptance that we are always going to have small crowds and just scrape along (until we eventually don’t).

There didn’t seem to be any enthusiasm from him or hope for the future or any willingness to try new initiatives. This seems to be left solely at the doors of volunteers in the Amber Ribbon and Squadbuilder.

rambo.gif

But there is an attempt to attract younger people by offering free entry to all under 18’s this year. If  the team produces a great product  hopefully it means they then get hooked on our great game and fan numbers increase. On your other point teams like ours cannot afford big marketing and media budgets so I it is up to volunteers to fill the gaps. What do you suggest Mark /club should do?

• Like 2

It's up to us fans to do what we can  be it buying season tickets, car park passes, joining SquadBuilder, joining Amber Ribbon,  the Lottery, having a beer before/after the game, buying a shirt, buying a raffle ticket,  liking posts on Twitter and Facebook or volunteering like so many do already. 

But one massive plus this year is we should have some better rugby to watch.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Liam said he’d got a squad of 25,he mentioned Connor Davies in his squad as well🤔

Good, if correct. He isn't mentioned on the 2023 squad thread.

On 04/11/2022 at 09:43, POR said:

So NO swansongs for a couple of our elder statesmen C 

We have signed Jack Coventry, who once was one of yours and at 28, perhaps he’s one of those elder statesmen, though probably not yet ready for a swan song!

Legs, Dews, Legs.