Headingley

Phil W

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The often touted best stadium in Rugby League has less parking than Headingley (which obviously has lots if one opens one's eyes).

Didn't the cricket parking used to be on the rugby pitch 

Edited by yipyee

6 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

A quick Google seems to suggest this particular award is handed out by Serious About RL. Which presumably means the winner certificate was made with crayons. 

Next up, we have the award for "best stadium cooling system", presented by The Game Caller. 

Winners are winners, make fun all you want but winners are winners (and it wasn't Leeds).

The panel of the man of Steel are hardly staticians and experts now are they.

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

Winners are winners, make fun all you want but winners are winners (and it wasn't Leeds).

Man of steel is voted for by the players - I’d trust their judgement over anybody

On 27/09/2022 at 04:25, Phil W said:

I noticed the Super League awards, Championship and League One awards all at Headingley. Plus Sky often use it as a base for rugby league including a studio for the French derby. 

Leeds will get paid for this, but does anyone think this is right? It just seems a bit odd that one club is getting extra income.

Personally I think that is an abominable theory.

Clubs must be applauded for having such facilities. Like in any business, if you want to draw customers, be they spectators or privates, you must have the appropriate product, price and or place.

I think it would be much worse if the Awards and Sky were using a non RL facility. 

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Maybe, but if you're trying to make a point, having to use the RL equivalent of The Beano as a prove point probably means that it isn't the strong argument you think it is. 

• Haha 3

On 28/09/2022 at 08:37, Damien said:

This has been pointed out a million times before so it's not ignorance is bliss. People know what the situation is but I do think Leeds fans hide behind it somewhat.

I have seen various designs and plans over the years for the Western Terrace. The club have certainly looked at it. I am fairly certain it could be redeveloped to be much better than it is now, other sports clubs have overcome planning issues far less insurmountable than this. However it would undoubtedly cost and with 3 sides redeveloped, and with more seats than they can fill already, the ROI certainly wouldn't be there. It makes no business sense and that is why it will never be done.

I personally think there is nothing greatly wrong with the Western Terrace. In summer when it's dry its a decent place to stand. Headingley is rarely full and there are alternative stands to stand or sit in anyway.

as we all know the problem has been the residents of houses behind the western terrace. what is less well known is that over the last few years a number of those houses have been purchased by a company with links to the club and indeed at least 2 of the overseas players and families now live there. A couple of others have now become HMOs with students living there. this seems to be something of a long-term effort to buy out those houses that would be affected by development and thus overcome such objections.

can't see it been a near term objective to buy out all those houses but perhaps a medium term one and in the meantime some good residential rental money for a firm that already sponsors the club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

so how much actual stadium parking does oh i don't know  st helens have . indeed same question about say wakefield, castleford , hull, i could keep going but you get the gist

So you've not been to Saints new stadium ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But you didn't see the car parks around the stadium ? 

saw a coach one and that was about it other than a tiny one by the front of the stadium.

by the way i have been on none match days as well to the programme fairs 

Edited by paul hicks

On 30/09/2022 at 13:19, paul hicks said:

as we all know the problem has been the residents of houses behind the western terrace. what is less well known is that over the last few years a number of those houses have been purchased by a company with links to the club and indeed at least 2 of the overseas players and families now live there. A couple of others have now become HMOs with students living there. this seems to be something of a long-term effort to buy out those houses that would be affected by development and thus overcome such objections.

can't see it been a near term objective to buy out all those houses but perhaps a medium term one and in the meantime some good residential rental money for a firm that already sponsors the club.

Objections to the demolition of those houses in order to build new stand . Objectors and residents would say it will spoil the street 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Objections to the demolition of those houses in order to build new stand . Objectors and residents would say it will spoil the street 

indeed, but the less objectors the better chance of getting the plans through.

at least 8 houses have been bought so that's 8 less objectors. it's the old waiting game of wating for residents to sell .

On 26/09/2022 at 20:12, Damien said:

Saints, Warrington have good corporate facilities off the top of my head. I don't see a small hotel as a reason why it has to be at Headingley by any means.

Leeds is also a major city and a media hub but don’t let that bother you.

Best will in the world St Helen’s and Warrington are neither.

im no Leeds fan but Headingley has always been the premier RL stadium  imo and deserves to remain so with the investments made.

Non issue imo.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Leeds is also a major city and a media hub but don’t let that bother you.

Best will in the world St Helen’s and Warrington are neither.

im no Leeds fan but Headingley has always been the premier RL stadium  imo and deserves to remain so with the investments made.

Non issue imo.

Well that wasn't the point that quote was replying to. Don't let that bother you. Its always funny when someone decides to pick out a quote from near a week ago and completely ignores the context.

No issue here either but you'd know that if you had actually followed the thread.

Edited by Damien