Headingley

Phil W

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm not sure I see character in knocking down three stands and replacing them with 100% brand new buildings, and leaving an old one there. 

Because apart from the difficulty of the Ginnell and the houses at the back . Spending over £40 million is an awful lot of money for a club in a sport that is minor to association football. It wasnt built on the cheap either 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Maybe it's not because they are city. 

They support their local RL and also Leeds United and object to Leeds RL fans singing MOT .they hate Leeds RLFC they hate the city yet they shop in Leeds, they sing MOT when watching Leeds United, but object to Rhinos fans singing the City anthem . One thing though they have published some wonderful Artist impressions 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure I see character in knocking down three stands and replacing them with 100% brand new buildings, and leaving an old one there. 

The stadium as whole complex has tonnes of character, plus the design had to be pretty different because of the shared Northstand with the Cricket side.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Who do you support?

Anyway, there are allocated spaces in both the north and south stand just buy one of those if standing on the WT annoys you, its not difficult.

But it would stop them from complaining about some imaginary slight

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Because apart from the difficulty of the Ginnell and the houses at the back . Spending over £40 million is an awful lot of money for a club in a sport that is minor to association football. It wasnt built on the cheap either 

Yes. None of that has anything in the slightest to do with character. 

7 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

They support their local RL and also Leeds United and object to Leeds RL fans singing MOT .they hate Leeds RLFC they hate the city yet they shop in Leeds, they sing MOT when watching Leeds United, but object to Rhinos fans singing the City anthem . One thing though they have published some wonderful Artist impressions 

So they clearly don't hate Leeds because it is a city. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

So they clearly don't hate Leeds because it is a city. 

Yes that place I'm referring to but not mentioning do hate Leeds ,but they still shop in the city and support the football team and sing the anthem and object to Rhinos fans singing it we are pinching " their song " . I think you know the community I'm referring to 

JAMIE PEACOCK

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The stadium as whole complex has tonnes of character, plus the design had to be pretty different because of the shared Northstand with the Cricket side.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The fact there is a juxtaposition of old and new gives it Character IMO, but it’s subjective.

I don't disagree, and I should clarify I haven't been to Headingley yet since the rebuild, but I think character is way down the list of wants and needs for a stadium. Belle vue could be described as having plenty of character. 

I had this debate when Wire moved from Wilderspool and some complained about the loss of character, despite Wilderspool being genuinely, genuinely awful.

If we consider character to be related to being unique, yes, I can see the attraction of that, but I would take access, facilities, viewing angles etc over all of that. 

I do look forward to visiting Headingley, hopefully during the WC, and I saw a recent photo taken at the game versus Salford from the WT and it looked beautiful with the three stands towering over the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Yes that place I'm referring to but not mentioning do hate Leeds ,but they still shop in the city and support the football team and sing the anthem and object to Rhinos fans singing it we are pinching " their song " . I think you know the community I'm referring to 

To be honest, I'm not sure what conversation you are having. 

You claimed that people hate Leeds because it is a city. Yet you claim that they shop there and support Leeds Utd. 

I feel you have moved on to a completely different conversation, so happy to leave it there. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't disagree, and I should clarify I haven't been to Headingley yet since the rebuild, but I think character is way down the list of wants and needs for a stadium. Belle vue could be described as having plenty of character. 

I had this debate when Wire moved from Wilderspool and some complained about the loss of character, despite Wilderspool being genuinely, genuinely awful.

If we consider character to be related to being unique, yes, I can see the attraction of that, but I would take access, facilities, viewing angles etc over all of that. 

I do look forward to visiting Headingley, hopefully during the WC, and I saw a recent photo taken at the game versus Salford from the WT and it looked beautiful with the three stands towering over the pitch. 

I honestly think you’ll be impressed when you go. As ive said its the whole complex that’s impressive not just the 3 stands.

And for all the moaning about the WT, it’s actually a great place to watch a game of RL, as long as it doesn’t rain 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its just a way of describing stadiums that don’t have a lot of character, history or individuality, and that’s not really a big criticism, saints and wires stadiums are great and its a real credit to them that they were forward thinking and got them built, Im just glad Leeds decided to rennovate the old stadium rather than move, which I appreciate wasn’t probably an option for some clubs.

but with that came comprising in places such as the WT.

I really like what Hull KR have managed to do at their stadium aswell

3 stands , all different and an open terrace 

A Mish mash of facilities , looks a bit of a mess actually 

But each to their own 

• Like 1

The thing is people who's clubs have grounds not fit for purpose have the audacity to criticize clubs that have made the effort at great expense to redevelop their stadium 

• Like 1

JAMIE PEACOCK

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

3 stands , all different and an open terrace 

A Mish mash of facilities , looks a bit of a mess actually 

But each to their own 

I watched the Leigh v York game and the Leigh sports village looked really impressive. Imagine what it would look like if there was somebody in it apart from empty seats.

10 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The thing is people who's clubs have grounds not fit for purpose have the audacity to criticize clubs that have made the effort at great expense to redevelop their stadium 

Yes its right that Leeds are proud of their developed stadium.

Just a couple of things,

Its more expensive as its a development, this always costs more than a total re-build. Some of the 40 mill was to build the cricket facing stand as well.

Only 3/4 of the stadium has been re-built so whilst its great for the people in 3/4 of the ground its still the pits for the people in the west stand.

And just on the whole criticism thing, Leeds fans criticise clubs that have done a total re-build as flat pack, no atmosphere etc..

This does come across as jealousy.

I personally think Leeds is a great upgrade on their old facilities but until it modernises the full stadium it can't be up there with the best rugby stadiums in the country.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

We get that at Featherstone from SOME not many c@$ and Wakefield fan's!!!

Ignorance is bliss.

Quite simply, there are Rights of Light issues with the houses behind, which cannot be over come. Its a planning issue that has been looked at numerous times over 40 yrs.

As usual, people with no knowledge or information, come up with their simplistic solutions.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cookey said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Quite simply, there are Rights of Light issues with the houses behind, which cannot be over come. Its a planning issue that has been looked at numerous times over 40 yrs.

As usual, people with no knowledge or information, come up with their simplistic solutions.

Build a smaller stand then?!

14 minutes ago, cookey said:

Ignorance is bliss.

This has been pointed out a million times before so it's not ignorance is bliss. People know what the situation is but I do think Leeds fans hide behind it somewhat.

I have seen various designs and plans over the years for the Western Terrace. The club have certainly looked at it. I am fairly certain it could be redeveloped to be much better than it is now, other sports clubs have overcome planning issues far less insurmountable than this. However it would undoubtedly cost and with 3 sides redeveloped, and with more seats than they can fill already, the ROI certainly wouldn't be there. It makes no business sense and that is why it will never be done.

I personally think there is nothing greatly wrong with the Western Terrace. In summer when it's dry its a decent place to stand. Headingley is rarely full and there are alternative stands to stand or sit in anyway.