Andrew Voss

2 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

People on this forum like Andrew Voss for two reasons. First, because unlike most Australians he follows Super League closely and always treats it with respect. Second, because he treats M62 restaurants and fast food, especially curries, as if they were candidates for a Michelin star, rather than as something meant to be thrown up on the train shortly after consumption.

The evaluation of Andrew Voss should be based on relevant criteria. Andrew Voss spends half his time trying to fabricate excitement in his listeners, about the mostly hum drum moves of the game he is watching. He also tries to be a comedian, and he is not very good at that role. He should stick to raw game calling -- as Dave Wood does 80% of the time -- and leave the comedy to trained professionals.

Not really,I like him because he is very enthusiastic about the game, is usually very positive and is a genuine fan. That isn't really too common in RL commentators. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Sky keep banging on about the game proving itself and they are right but Sky needs to get the cheque book out & offer Vossy whatever he asks for to become their face/voice of Superleague,the man has done more to promote the game over here in a few short weeks than the RFL has done in years.

I was just thinking that myself. His stadium visits, video clips, shirts and caps show a love and interest in the game at all levels.

I saw him unveiling Batley's 2023 shirt a couple of days ago. 

Some chap Vossy is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

People on this forum like Andrew Voss for two reasons. First, because unlike most Australians he follows Super League closely and always treats it with respect. Second, because he treats M62 restaurants and fast food, especially curries, as if they were candidates for a Michelin star, rather than as something meant to be thrown up on the train shortly after consumption.

The evaluation of Andrew Voss should be based on relevant criteria. Andrew Voss spends half his time trying to fabricate excitement in his listeners, about the mostly hum drum moves of the game he is watching. He also tries to be a comedian, and he is not very good at that role. He should stick to raw game calling -- as Dave Wood does 80% of the time -- and leave the comedy to trained professionals.

Who is Dave Wood?

I wonder if he is related to Sam Tompkins and/or Daryl Clarke.

So. Vossy is no good, Wane is no good, certain England players (take your pick) are no good, refs are no good, video ref is no good, choice of stadiums is no good, crowds are no good, player development is no good, web site is no good, marketing is no good, ticketing experience is no good,  northern hemisphere RL is no good. The list is endless and posters are striving to prove it is endless 

Welcome to rugby league.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So. Vossy is no good, Wane is no good, certain England players (take your pick) are no good, refs are no good, video ref is no good, choice of stadiums is no good, crowds are no good, player development is no good, web site is no good, marketing is no good, ticketing experience is no good,  northern hemisphere RL is no good. The list is endless and posters are striving to prove it is endless 

Welcome to rugby league.

Some posters like to discuss things. Others just like to slag off other posters, such is life

• Like 1

No commentator in any sport is universally popular. Even the 'legends' have people who couldn't stand them. (I couldn't stand Ray French but many people seemed to like him). Looking at the reaction to the negative original post it seems Andrew Voss is pretty popular with fans in the northern hemisphere at least.

Personally I find him entertaining. Even some of the one-sided and less thrilling matches in this world cup have been made more bearable when he's on commentary. He's incredibly knowledgeable about the game at various different levels and has the enthusiasm to make the game sound exciting. 

I think Dave Woods does a good job, but sometimes even in the most thrilling moments it sounds like he's doing the commentary post-match like they do on the Super League show. Mark Wilson is a decent commentator too but we're not exactly blessed with great commentators.

Hindsight has shown how Eddie Hemmings was better than most gave him credit for. The problem he had was Stevo, who was utterly dreadful.

• Like 1

I think we like Andrew Voss in small doses, every couple of World Cups. Like with every commentator, the more you hear, the more complaints you get.

Really do like how he throws himself into the sport over here and the clear respect he has for our clubs. Comes across a decent bloke all in all.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JohnM said:

Welcome to rugby league.

How ever, Summer bash has been announced- every cloud..