2023 International Calendar

4 minutes ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Euro B announced for 2023.

21st October to 11th November 2023. Group A - Ukraine, Norway, Greece. Group B - Germany, Czechia, Netherlands. Acts as a pre-qualifier for RLWC 2025 qualification process. Home and away format (bar Ukraine). Final if required.

https://www.intrl.sport/news/euro-b-draw-fixtures-announced/

So Greece can still get into the mix for 2025?? hope so..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Intake Don said:

Who are England going to play next year? Australia look like there coming over here in 2024 and New Zealand sound like there planning there own thing next year according to Troy Grant 

Where does Troy Grant say this?

Edited by Jim from Oz

7 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

So on this thread topic, the IRL has promised us a 12-year international RL calendar for what seems like decades … are we EVER going to see it ????!!!!!!

The wait has been longer than the Second Coming !!!  🙂

Don’t they produce it every year,that being the problem.

I find some of the quotes here very alarming especially given the IRL have announced their 2023 plans in the original post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63442868

"A few people have said it off the back of exiting the World Cup - we need a plan for every year. We don't know who we're playing or what's going on next year.

"There should be a Five or Six Nations, a bit like rugby union." - Rhys Williams, Wales winger.

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

I find some of the quotes here very alarming especially given the IRL have announced their 2023 plans in the original post.

They've not really fully and clearly announced it though have they? None of the governing bodies have said anything officially to confirm things so not surprised players are in the dark.

Hopefully with WC quarter finalists confirmed there can be a proper announcement soon.

On 29/10/2022 at 13:18, GeordieSaint said:

The structure of that European Championship is not right - the likes of Serbia and Spain will get battered. It should be like the structure to the UEFA Nations League - divisions of four and a promotion between each one each year. Something like the following (based on this WC):

Group A: England, France, Wales, Ireland

Group B: Scotland, Greece, Italy, Serbia

Group C Spain, Ukraine, Netherlands, Norway

Group D : Germany, Czechia, Turkey, Albania etc…

That has a more balanced and nuanced structure. 

It must be an ache for the international boards to plan long term when the Game is so hapless in this respect.

A fully adult co ordinated international calendar would synchronise State of Origin with international dates for the rest of the world particularly Europe.

The Euros could be played then. 

It could also played as suggested over a few weeks-like the soccer home internationals were in the 1970.

And as a suggestion, would supporters travel to Dublin in numbers if such Euros were played there?

I am a big advocate of an annual Bastille Day bash between France and England.

October would be ideally for England against Australia/NZ /World Cup on a four year cycle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63442868

"A few people have said it off the back of exiting the World Cup - we need a plan for every year. We don't know who we're playing or what's going on next year.

"There should be a Five or Six Nations, a bit like rugby union." - Rhys Williams, Wales winger.

I listened to Williams state this last night. It’s really disappointing as there is clearly an appetite with the Wales team for more internationals. I imagine they are not an outlying nation in that regard. 

It’ll be interesting to see what the IRL announce. But I’ll be surprised if it’s a full programme for all. They usually concentrate on the Eng-Aus-NZ trinity. But it should include windows for the Asia-Pacific, ERL, MENA, Americas et al to play matches/tournaments in. But those organisations need to develop those concepts/fixtures/tournaments with direct support from the stronger governing bodies in those regions to support the broader game development. By that I mean the NRL/NZRL leading for Asia-Pacific and the RFL/FRL/WRL for Europe etc. 

The onus is on the WRL et al to push hard for more games… it really is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

When are the Great Britain Rugby League Lions next touring?

After the last shambles of a tour, probably never again. 

It's a pointless team nowadays anyway. Who from outside the England squad would get selected? Keary?  What's the point in bringing it back for possibly 1 Australian player

• Like 1