World Cup Draw - very strange

tim2

28 minutes ago, tim2 said:

No, I think you could put a bet on this now.

Here are my group predictions:

Group A                  Group B                             Group C                           Group D

France                    England                              Australia                           NZ
PNG                        Fiji                                       Tonga                              Samoa
Wales                     Ireland                                 Italy                                 Lebanon
Brazil                      Cook islands                      Jamaica                          Greece

Groups A and B in one half, C and D in the other

That's not a bad prediction.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If every other tournament went with seeding, England would have played Aus or NZ in the semi final. As well as literally always playing Oz and/or NZ in the group stages too. Literally every time. 

I'm a big fan of trying to shake things up and create some different fixtures and world cup memories. The biggest example of handpicking fixtures and rigging it has been 2008 where England qualified for the semis from 3rd in the group after getting beat by Oz and NZ in the group stage. 

We decided on the format a while back and have been transparent that the draw has two sides with no crossover. 

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's not a bad prediction.

Now I'm liberated of the silly notion of fairness, I'm starting to get the hang of this World Cup draw lark.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Now I'm liberated of the silly notion of fairness, I'm starting to get the hang of this World Cup draw lark.

You just need to remember how every cricket World Cup has a distorted process designed to give England, Australia, but particularly India, as many no-risk games as possible before they actually have to face the possibility of not being on TV any more.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, tim2 said:

A sneaky moving of the Cedars to enhance the Host nation's chances 😉 , like it 

Some good games there , when do the tickets go on sale ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A sneaky moving of the Cedars to enhance the Host nation's chances 😉 , like it 

Some good games there , when do the tickets go on sale ?

About 2 weeks before the games, 150 Euros per match, web site will crash continously and give you the wrong tickets.

On a serious note, I assume the four World Cups will be simultaneous again? It's a great idea at this stage in RL's international development.

• Haha 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

About 2 weeks before the games, 150 Euros per match, web site will crash continously and give you the wrong tickets.

On a serious note, I assume the four World Cups will be simultaneous again? It's a great idea at this stage in RL's international development.

I think it's men's, women's, wheelchar and youth confirmed so far.

29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Excellent , if I'm going spending 2/3 weeks in southern France that should keep us busy 😀

I'm definitely going

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

You just need to remember how every cricket World Cup has a distorted process designed to give England, Australia, but particularly India, as many no-risk games as possible before they actually have to face the possibility of not being on TV any more.

Obviously not working this year - David Warner is playing golf this morning! He finds it easier than facing the bowlers of Afghanistan.

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

It would have worked this year but it had one flaw - the Aussies were utter tripe!

Yes they couldnt put up with the coach they won the world cup under so they got one they could put up with.  Hope they feel better this year than they did last year.

12 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Yes they couldnt put up with the coach they won the world cup under so they got one they could put up with.  Hope they feel better this year than they did last year.

It's always good when Aussies lose. In the long run it help's with their modesty

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Of course he's never mentioned the first game ? 🙄

It's not so much the first game which is at issue.

It's the fact that the draw makes it impossible for England to play Australia or New Zealand before the final.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

20 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Let's also say England had been very unlucky with the 2013 and 2017 draw/group stage, as they've been in the group with Aus both times. 

You reckon that was luck?

21 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Let's also say England had been very unlucky with the 2013 and 2017 draw/group stage, as they've been in the group with Aus both times. 

We had to open the tournament versus the Aussies in 1995, then 2000, 2013 and 2017. In 2008 we played them in the group stages. 

Funnily enough they weren't bothered about that quirk in the system. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We had to open the tournament versus the Aussies in 1995, then 2000, 2013 and 2017. In 2008 we played them in the group stages. 

Funnily enough they weren't bothered about that quirk in the system. 

That "quirk" meant that Australia and England were both likely to qualify from the group and, from that point, avoid each other until the final. Not that it always worked out that way.  Sometimes they avoided each other completely.

From a commercial point of view, I applaud it.   From a fairness point of view, I raise an eyebrow.

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

That "quirk" meant that Australia and England were both likely to qualify from the group and, from that point, avoid each other until the final. Not that it always worked out that way.  Sometimes they avoided each other completely.

From a commercial point of view, I applaud it.   From a fairness point of view, I raise an eyebrow.

But who should get to avoid the Aussies? 

In 2000, 2008, 2013 and 2017 England did (or would have) played the Kiwis. That seems perfectly reasonable in a comp where three teams were way above the others. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But who should get to avoid the Aussies? 

In 2000, 2008, 2013 and 2017 England did (or would have) played the Kiwis. That seems perfectly reasonable in a comp where three teams were way above the others. 

It's not about avoiding them, Dave.

It's about a structure that makes it impossible for England to play either Australia or New Zealand before the final.

Edited by Griff