Jump to content

Under New Ownership - Midlands Hurricanes


Recommended Posts


4 minutes ago, Tosh said:

More like a hurdle 😉

But with nearly 4 yrs to plan its something easily jumped & is hardly a hammer blow to the move even if some want rid of it like a shot & want those responsible to face the high jump. 👍

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But with nearly 4 yrs to plan its something easily jumped & is hardly a hammer blow to the move even if some want rid of it like a shot & want those responsible to face the high jump. 👍

The 10 day athletics championship will be over and done with before you can say “hop, skip and a jump” leaving the hurricanes to return to play at the stadium.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tosh said:

True but the club is still not in Birmingham and is historically rooted in the said town of West Bromwich.

Quite, but the point was that most people in Birmingham do not support a sports team called Birmingham. The Baggies and Villa are the biggest shows in town (even if one of them is from a different town), then City.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they are more than basement dwellers with a chance to be successful then people will come out to support them, if they are playing in an inaccessible stadium at the bottom of League 1 they won’t. Having a successful championship club in Birmingham would be a boost to the sport but the history of vast majority of UK expansion teams is no infrastructure, underfunded before eventual folding. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Quite, but the point was that most people in Birmingham do not support a sports team called Birmingham. The Baggies and Villa are the biggest shows in town (even if one of them is from a different town), then City.

 

Football fans either support a Birmingham based club called Birmingham city FC or another Birmingham based club called Aston villa FC.

Using football as an example like most other things is a bad one because A. Football is huge and the National game and B. Because football has been played in big cities like Birmingham, london, Liverpool and Glasgow etc for over 100 years and in some cases nearing 150 years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Tosh said:

The current population of the moreton bay region is 480k with a projected population of around 600k by 2030 and 700k by 2040.

This is more than enough people of that region to draw upon for supporting the dolphins without depending on travelling fans from the Brisbane area.

Agree…. but no stadium big enough for the required crowds …to make it viable they are playing most of their games outside of the city….in brisbane…and that means drawing heavily on those outside of the moreton bay region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Anita Bath said:

Agree…. but no stadium big enough for the required crowds …to make it viable they are playing most of their games outside of the city….in brisbane…and that means drawing heavily on those outside of the moreton bay region.

The current stadium capacity of 11.5k isn’t big enough now but I’m sure that could easily be extended to around the 18-20k mark in the short-term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/11/2022 at 21:05, Jughead said:

Not saying you’re wrong (you’re not) but aren’t the Warwickshire Cricket side Birmingham in the T20? Not that the whole of Birmingham suddenly supports them when they are. 

Yeah and that’s not without its problems.
 

The 100 moniker of the Phoenix wasn’t very clever either. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

This year they played in Portway, which is in Worcestetshire. I.e. not Birmingham. Just to add further to this confusing thread. 

Portway is in Earlswood which is in Warwickshire and comes under the B Postcode. The club were up front that it was a temporary move before moving to the Alexander Stadium. Not sure whats confusing about that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/11/2022 at 13:13, ShropshireBull said:

If they are more than basement dwellers with a chance to be successful then people will come out to support them, if they are playing in an inaccessible stadium at the bottom of League 1 they won’t. Having a successful championship club in Birmingham would be a boost to the sport but the history of vast majority of UK expansion teams is no infrastructure, underfunded before eventual folding. 

The owners are a major sponsor of Huddersfield Giants and have deep pockets due to a very successful construction business. 

Edited by OriginalMrC
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Portway is in Earlswood which is in Warwickshire and comes under the B Postcode. The club were up front that it was a temporary move before moving to the Alexander Stadium. Not sure whats confusing about that. 

It was more about how the thread is confusing rather than the hurricanes. I am interested if they are moving as, although it would be a much better stadium, I think it may make it a bit more difficult to keep going.

And yes Earlswood is in warks. But I reckon the portway "stadium" is just in Worcestershire. I think I crossed into Birmingham, and then back into worcestershire going under that little bridge getting to the  getting to the little track that leads up to ground. (Bromsgrove has a B postcode but is definitely in worcs. ) 

 

Edit - I stand corrected. Just looked on the map and it is just, and I mean just, in Warwickshire. I reckon it's that close though that when you go for a p*** that's over the border in Worcestershire. 

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

It was more about how the thread is confusing rather than the hurricanes. I am interested if they are moving as, although it would be a much better stadium, I think it may make it a bit more difficult to keep going.

And yes Earlswood is in warks. But I reckon the portway "stadium" is just in Worcestershire. I think I crossed into Birmingham, and then back into worcestershire going under that little bridge getting to the  getting to the little track that leads up to ground. (Bromsgrove has a B postcode but is definitely in worcs. ) 

 

Edit - I stand corrected. Just looked on the map and it is just, and I mean just, in Warwickshire. I reckon it's that close though that when you go for a p*** that's over the border in Worcestershire. 

So not just the warriors that have been p***ed on in worcestershire😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/11/2022 at 20:51, Yorks Tim said:

I see this as a positive move in that it gives the club a more solid base.

Makes no difference to us as supporters (none of us knew - or cared - out of which of his pockets the purchase funds came out of originally) but will be easier for Mike Lomas to do off-field business such as raising finance, signing contracts with local councils etc and so forth.

He/they seem genuinely committed to the aims expressed in the article linked in the first post and this feels like further confirmation of that commitment.

 

 

  

 

I know Mike on a personal level and one thing i can say is he's definitely committed and passionate about the project, hope he makes it a huge success, he's a smashing fella.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...