IMG looking to ditch Super League branding

5 minutes ago, binosh said:

Toronto didn’t work because it’s a stupid idea to have a team that far away in the poorest pro sport in the country, it wouldn’t work with the richest.

Disagree. Toronto brought more national media attention on their own than the other SL clubs had done combined in the last 10 years and they managed three seasons in the lower leagues well enough, as well as pulling in crowds larger than a fair few SL clubs who’ve been around for 125 years. Two Canadian clubs in SL could have worked and would have been a game changer, yet here we are going backwards with the same old M62 clubs who don’t want to grow the sport. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Experts? 

IMG may know about marketing but I bet they haven't actually been following RL since 1996 and how the SL tag developed. I suspect they are basing it on a rather lacklustre later few years and throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

The game has been run for 127 years by people who know rugby league ....with what result?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The WC was great, it had flaws but it wasn’t a flop. And John Dutton was an expert in RL anyway do not sure you’re making the point you think you are.

Anyway that’s irrelevant. Were IMG ‘experts’ in all the other sports they market? Sometimes it takes an outsider to spot the issues and indeed the opportunities, that’s why Agencies like IMG exist, because it works. There’s no guarantees of course but you seem to just want to plod along and keep hiring from within, the sport will not move forward by doing that.

No, I absolutely don't and I aren't sure where you get that idea from as I believe the game is way too "jobs for the boys" as it is. And letting the SL name slide away from the game is an indication of that lazy small minded thinking. 

However, the malaise RL finds itself in goes deeper than hiring a new set of clothes and getting a bit of expert advice. If it was that straightforward it would have worked before. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

No, I absolutely don't and I aren't sure where you get that idea from as I believe the game is way too "jobs for the boys" as it is. And letting the SL name slide away from the game is an indication of that lazy small minded thinking. 

However, the malaise RL finds itself in goes deeper than hiring a new set of clothes and getting a bit of expert advice. If it was that straightforward it would have worked before. 

I got the idea from you criticising IMG’s involvement because they don’t have experience of RL.

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think we should be having Rugby League back in there, it’s nothing to be ashamed of and is what the sport is known as to outsiders. It then also ties in to the international game ‘Rugby League World Cup’ etc

Super Rugby League branded as SRL would be good I think if the idea is to keep ‘super league’ in it.

I honestly don't think not having 'league' after 'Rugby' is too damaging, if at all. Just my opinion of course. Rugby Super League would obviously just be the competition name, Rugby League would still be the sport. The association with SKY as key broadcast partner for so long has meant 'Super League' has been pushed as the primary name associated with the sport, which has possibly led many to wanting 'Rugby League' inserted back into any naming.

Would possibly be some legal issues, and would probably attract a fair amount of criticism from some, accusations of plagiarism and plenty calling out that we just copy the Aussies (which do quite often) but I'd also be fine with NRL. It would after all be our National Rugby League competition. 

At one point, albeit only for a season or so, we did have two Superleagues - one here, and one in Oz.

Betfred National Rugby League sounds fine to me.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Why not call it ‘Proper Rugby’.

So in a sports bulletin the presenter would say ‘In the Rugby Premiership the only two teams left in that League fought out a turgid 3-3 draw and here is the penalty kick that tied the game’.  Shows clip of the penalty. Then the sports presenter says ‘Now for Proper Rugby …….’

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I know we seem to have developed a bit of a culture in this country of dismissing experts. But I'd say getting experts involved is absolutely a good thing. 

This isn't physics. People such as IMG can claim all sorts and spin their way out of it if it didn't work out. 

Not that I have anything against IMG but let's wait until we declare them the new messiah.

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I know we seem to have developed a bit of a culture in this country of dismissing experts. But I'd say getting experts involved is absolutely a good thing. 

Covid scientists predictions / calls for lockdowns - especially towards the end did huge damage to the reputation of experts in my view.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to see a grand and unique trophy the object of all club’s endeavours. Similar to the Stanley Cup. In hockey, the finals are simply referred to as “The Stanley Cup Playoffs” and I believe a similar theme for RL could be perfect for authenticity of our top tier championship. Say “The Clive Sullivan Shield” being a grand and unique prize created in similar style to the NRL trophy. 

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Ok they haven't. I'm glad there will be no name change. 

Im not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse for effect but it’s a bit tiresome.

IMG looking into the name and brand is an exercise that they should be looking at as its in their remit.

That doesn’t mean theyve scrapped or changed anything .

• Like 2