Dexy says Leigh Leopards rebrand is working

20 hours ago, Oxford said:

The point about the website holds water though I think quite a few clubs could do far more in that direction and I think there's a definite trend towards websites becoming a bit redundant.

Yeah, like garlic bread, websites aren't the future anymore

Amazon is shutting down next week, and opening a re-branded market stall in Leigh. It's the future!

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

16 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Amazon is shutting down next week, and opening a re-branded market stall in Leigh. It's the future!

Not having a website, and not having shirts ready for sale (outside of memberships) are both clearly screw ups.

But you can still buy memberships online, 1600 (as of a week or so ago) had paid an extra £36 on top of their season ticket to get a shirt, and it sounds like sponsorship / hospitality is selling well

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Don't let it bother you HKB it doesn't bother us Leythers, all in good time.

A bit like all over the country people bleating and moaning about the trains on strike it doesn't matter to us at all in Leigh, we have been without for nearly 60 years since Dr. Beecham decided we could do without, tough ain't it😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't let it bother you HKB it doesn't bother us Leythers, all in good time.

A bit like all over the country people bleating and moaning about the trains on strike it doesn't matter to us at all in Leigh, we have been without for nearly 60 years since Dr. Beecham decided we could do without, tough ain't it😉

Harry , everything we do bothers him , let's hope as the season pans out we bother him some more 😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Harry , everything we do bothers him , let's hope as the season pans out we bother him some more 😉

Aw mate, nothing you do bothers me. I like Derek, he's amusing. I also think he knows he's amusing, he plays up to the image he's created for himself. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy winding you up when you don't have a website for months, your owner suggests some sort of leopard cosplay outfit for a mascot, or even that I can't take the mickey when another poster suggests websites are going out of fashion 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Amazon - should be banned from trading in UK

When they switch over to my new "market stall" strategy they won't need to be, they'll have to pay tax here won't be able to pretend it's all offshore. It's the future for loads of reasons, the internet just causes problems - that's why Derek is boycotting it. 

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Aw mate, nothing you do bothers me. I like Derek, he's amusing. I also think he knows he's amusing, he plays up to the image he's created for himself. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy winding you up when you don't have a website for months, your owner suggests some sort of leopard cosplay outfit for a mascot, or even that I can't take the mickey when another poster suggests websites are going out of fashion 🤣🤣🤣

You seem obsessed by lots of things , especially ones involving Leigh , and you being the expert on so many things I'm surprised you have the time to bother with us , I thought you'd be too busy sorting out global warming and nuclear fusion 

Have a nice day 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You seem obsessed by lots of things , especially ones involving Leigh , and you being the expert on so many things I'm surprised you have the time to bother with us , I thought you'd be too busy sorting out global warming and nuclear fusion 

Have a nice day 

Such a sensitive soul. It's a discussion board, people having discussions will have opinions. Ignore at will.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think that some may need some convincing that 'locations will not matter' - as per Mr Beaumont,in the Sun article.

Will a Leopards v Rhinos, on television, grab a higher audience?

Will a Super League/ Other title,division of clubs,naming Giants,Tigers,Saints,FC enthuse other than the regular followers?

Will the wealthy board members at Hull KR,having rebranded the club crest to show a Robin,change the club name to add Robins,just as Salford recently did by adding Red Devils?

Should Featherstone Rovers gain promotion,what name should they choose? I don't think Blue Wall cuts it.

Should Halifax Panthers gain promotion,and London Broncos,will viewers turn off when they discover it ain't a NRL game?

Will the future be all last names? In the NRL the latest addition are Dolphins.No Redcliffe about it.

With your club having knowledge of IMG and their plans,is the future location less? Has geography had its day? Will there be more Thunder, Storms and wild animals ....?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

With your club having knowledge of IMG and their plans,is the future location less? Has geography had its day? Will there be more Thunder, Storms and wild animals ....?

As a key insider as you know, with access to all the plans and clever tricks, I can confirm the strategy is quite the opposite.

We've currently got a working party looking at how to further localise stuff, identifying former pit villages for new teams, and establishing clear supporter appropriate characteristics and proximity rules. All of these daft nicknames will be banned. Nobody will be allowed to attend a game unless they live within 4 streets of the ground, at least one grandfather was named Arthur, they get their bread delivered by a boy on a bike and wear a cloth cap. 

You're gonna love it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think that some may need some convincing that 'locations will not matter' - as per Mr Beaumont,in the Sun article.

Will a Super League/ Other title,division of clubs,naming Giants,Tigers,Saints,FC enthuse other than the regular followers?

Will the wealthy board members at Hull KR,having rebranded the club crest to show a Robin,change the club name to add Robins,just as Salford recently did by adding Red Devils?

Should Featherstone Rovers gain promotion,what name should they choose? I don't think Blue Wall cuts it.

Should Halifax Panthers gain promotion,and London Broncos,will viewers turn off when they discover it ain't a NRL game?

Will the future be all last names? In the NRL the latest addition are Dolphins.No Redcliffe about it.

Is that the most questions asked in a TRL forum post? 

6 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think that some may need some convincing that 'locations will not matter' 

Some convinced or not, the reality won't change.  Place, as such, does not matter to the vast majority of TV viewers. It's the game that they are watching. To generate TV revenue, we need people all over the country to be watching , to attract national advertisers, national sponsors for commercial TV/ YouTube etc and to generate big numbers for BBC Sport. 

15 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

As a key insider as you know, with access to all the plans and clever tricks, I can confirm the strategy is quite the opposite.

We've currently got a working party looking at how to further localise stuff, identifying former pit villages for new teams, and establishing clear supporter appropriate characteristics and proximity rules. All of these daft nicknames will be banned. Nobody will be allowed to attend a game unless they live within 4 streets of the ground, at least one grandfather was named Arthur, they get their bread delivered by a boy on a bike and wear a cloth cap. 

You're gonna love it!

Sounds pretty good to me, could I also please suggest that we move back to Winter Rugby and every team runs out to Dvorak's Going Home Suite from the New World Symphony whilst the stewards hand out bread 'n dripping butties and mugs of Oxo to the shivering masses huddled together to keep warm.

Them wer't day's when men wer men, they didn't wear boots just nailed studs ter bottom of't their feet.

I'm going all emotional thinking back, does IMG have a "suggestion box"?

PS, could you please open up with your grandfather rule, mine were Tommy and Nobby, does that mean I can't get in?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

‘It doesn’t matter whether you’re based in Leigh, London, Wakefield or France.’

But that’s not what IMG is saying, cf. recent stories on London. 

Do I detect a slight hint of embarrassment from Beaumont about the Leopards being the second club in Wigan?

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Do I detect a slight hint of embarrassment from Beaumont about the Leopards being the second club in Wigan?

Wash your mouth out with carbolic soap Kentish man😉, it matters not a jot that we have lived in shadows of our near neighbour on the RL field for a good number of years, Leigh was always an independent town, had it's own district council and looked after its own affairs till the meddling central government invented the Metropolitan Districts. Mr. Beaumont is as passionate about 'his town' as any Wigginer is about theirs the rivalry will always exist no matter how they are both performing or what division they play in, and long may it remain so.

15 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Bread and dripping is ace. I love it personally. 

Along with other specialities I had growing up, Cow Heel, Tripe, Savoury Duck 'n Cake, Pig's Yed, Pey Wallop, Babies Yed, Black Pudding, Lancashire Hotpot, Oxtail, Lobby, Rabbit Stew, Gurnett, Kippers and wonderful fish stew that anything went in, and a whole host of other dishes.

I am slavouring as I am sitting here writing, proper grub.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Along with other specialities I had growing up, Cow Heel, Tripe, Savoury Duck 'n Cake, Pig's Yed, Pey Wallop, Babies Yed, Black Pudding, Lancashire Hotpot, Oxtail, Lobby, Rabbit Stew, Gurnett, Kippers and wonderful fish stew that anything went in, and a whole host of other dishes.

I am slavouring as I am sitting here writing, proper grub.

Well I don't know half of those but agree with the general point about proper scran. Cannot whack it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

My response is triggered by the Leigh owners comments, though its actually more IMG topic than Leigh topic.

I think it all about total available market and market penetration for spectators and for viewers.

Spectators

In Leigh, as in Wigan, Saints etc, the available spectator market is relatively small but penetration relatively high. Its up to clubs to continue to address this in their localities.

In London (not talking about the Broncos here), the available spectator market is relatively large and the penetration relatively low. The Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns does not apply as its working in the steep part of the growth curve.  Given the Broncos serial failed attempts at extinction, its not in their power to address the problem. Its an issue for the governing bodies to solve. New team or teams? New ownership? New control?

Viewers

TV (and streaming etc) coverage is  vital to the future of the sport at the pro and semi-pro level. To generate TV money (subscriptions plus ads for Sky viewers and advertisers for C4, sheer viewer numbers for the BBC), the sport has to attract national TV (or streaming) advertising as well as national sponsorship.  That is where "place" doesn't or indeed, mustn't matter, in my view.  Yes, there are no doubt many people from the "heartlands" who have moved away from those "heartlands" who will watch on TV but I reckon the numbers are relatively small compared with the population at large. Its the rest that we need to get watching, right across the country, right across the cultural divide, right across the age groups.  Fortunately the TV offer is changing, with C4 and BBC evolving their style. Not so with Sky, I'm afraid. 

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

My response is triggered by the Leigh owners comments, though its actually more IMG topic than Leigh topic.

I think it all about total available market and market penetration for spectators and for viewers.

Spectators

In Leigh, as in Wigan, Saints etc, the available spectator market is relatively small but penetration relatively high. Its up to clubs to continue to address this in their localities.

In London (not talking about the Broncos here), the available spectator market is relatively large and the penetration relatively low. The Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns does not apply as its working in the steep part of the growth curve.  Given the Broncos serial failed attempts at extinction, its not in their power to address the problem. Its an issue for the governing bodies to solve. New team or teams? New ownership? New control?

Viewers

TV (and streaming etc) coverage is  vital to the future of the sport at the pro and semi-pro level. To generate TV money (subscriptions plus ads for Sky viewers and advertisers for C4, sheer viewer numbers for the BBC), the sport has to attract national TV (or streaming) advertising as well as national sponsorship.  That is where "place" doesn't or indeed, mustn't matter, in my view.  Yes, there are no doubt many people from the "heartlands" who have moved away from those "heartlands" who will watch on TV but I reckon the numbers are relatively small compared with the population at large. Its the rest that we need to get watching, right across the country, right across the cultural divide, right across the age groups.  Fortunately the TV offer is changing, with C4 and BBC evolving their style. Not so with Sky, I'm afraid. 

Hi John, good post but I must question you on your last statement in the spectator section (highlighted) how so? If London is going to be a 'pet project' for IMG it seems as though you are suggesting that the governing body finances it? If so what about other mentions like Toulouse, Newcastle and York that seem to be on IMG's radar?

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi John, good post but I must question you on your last statement in the spectator section (highlighted) how so? If London is going to be a 'pet project' for IMG it seems as though you are suggesting that the governing body finances it? If so what about other mentions like Toulouse, Newcastle and York that seem to be on IMG's radar?

Good questions Dunno the answers. Thinking more that the governing body gets more involved in London, maybe in a partnership role, a framework for London. If the Broncos join in fine, but feel that a second London club be created/found/ supported. IMG should, I think, be capable of driving London exposure.

Newcastle and York would need the strong arm of IMG supporting them as clubs,  compared with driving things generically in "London"

Toulouse remains an issue and I don't know enough about how the French governing body works. Maybe we should expect the International body to drive them.

Anyway, tomorrow or the day after, the day length will start to increase, then SuperLeague etc will restart and we can resume arguing about refs, stadiums, commentators and pundits.