20. Brad Knowles

21. Brad Hey

22. Misi Taulapapa

23. Ben Howe

24. Watson Boas

25. Jack Sanderson

27. Brett Ferres

Edited by Rene_Artois

With costs an ever important item in League One, why do we bother with squad numbers? Seems an unnecessary expense to me. How many shirts in the division do clubs sell with a players name and squad number on?

Makes more sense to me that clubs just have 1-17 on the pitch rather than a variety almost like a bingo game. Can anybody tell me how much a plain 1-17 set of shirts* would save over having say 30 playing shirts with numbers and/or names on them?

* I appreciate every player has more than one matchday shirt. Seems more sensible to just have a generic set with blanks that can have number affixed as and when needed.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

21 minutes ago, BJW said:

With costs an ever important item in League One, why do we bother with squad numbers? Seems an unnecessary expense to me. How many shirts in the division do clubs sell with a players name and squad number on?

Makes more sense to me that clubs just have 1-17 on the pitch rather than a variety almost like a bingo game. Can anybody tell me how much a plain 1-17 set of shirts* would save over having say 30 playing shirts with numbers and/or names on them?

* I appreciate every player has more than one matchday shirt. Seems more sensible to just have a generic set with blanks that can have number affixed as and when needed.

Brilliant. Cheers. All I was looking for was people posting their clubs squads to give us something to discuss/compare. A straight 1 to 17 you reckon. Better get 17 xxxls then just in case. An individual players shirt should be tailored to fit him. Squad numbers cater for that

Anyway back to the point. Forget squad numbers. Let's see everyone's squads.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BJW said:

Ah come one..... Shirt numbers are fun xxx

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

Why don't they have Roman numerals on shirts in France? They call the game XIII.

Christ I'm regretting saying squad numbers. I thought that as I typed it. I just thought it was an easy way for people to declare their squads. You know in a kind of order? Regardless. Please name your squads guys. No numbers required 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, BJW said:

The game's moved on. Baggy shirts that can be grabbed are no longer in vogue. I can recall the kitman having up to three different sizes of shirt with the same number, depending on who was playing, so the cost saving is probably illusory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Christ I'm regretting saying squad numbers. I thought that as I typed it. I just thought it was an easy way for people to declare their squads. You know in a kind of order? Regardless. Please name your squads guys. No numbers required 

I don’t follow all L1 teams on Twitter but the only one I’ve seen tweet squad numbers is Donny which you already have listed.

On 25/12/2022 at 19:07, BJW said:

With costs an ever important item in League One, why do we bother with squad numbers? Seems an unnecessary expense to me. 

Trying to present a professional image.

I know the league is not professional,  but surely better to try to present it in the best light possible?

A set of jerseys 1-17 with no names on, would look more like those amateur teams you used to see playing in public parks at the bottom of a stag heap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Trying to present a professional image.

I know the league is not professional,  but surely better to try to present it in the best light possible?

A set of jerseys 1-17 with no names on, would look more like those amateur teams you used to see playing in public parks at the bottom of a stag heap. 

The flip side being trying to explain to a newcomer why the fullback is in number 22, a prop in 1 and a winger in 11. Much easier if players are in the number for the position they occupy!

BTW, L1 club I go to have squad numbers but no player names on shirts so how does that square with your contention? Some of the visiting sides have not had players names on shirts either.

Hunslet Squad Numbers

1. Jimmy Watson

2. Jack Render

3. Adam Ryder

4. Joe Burton

5. Kieron Lawton

6. Jake Sweeting

7. Nathan Conroy

8. Harvey Hallas

9. Sam Hallas

10. Steve Crossley

11. Josh Jordan Roberts

12. Aaron York

13. Michael Knowles

14. Daniel Barcoe

15. Nathan Newbound

17. Lewis Wray

Numbers Unknown as yet.

Brad Wheeler , Tyler Walton , Sam Croston, Dan Mc Grath , Morgan Punchard, Jordan Bull, Peter Ryan, Nico Rizelli.

Jamie Greenwood, Fraser Stroud, Liam Carr, Jordan Syme, and Harvey Whiteley.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BJW said:

The flip side being trying to explain to a newcomer why the fullback is in number 22, a prop in 1 and a winger in 11. Much easier if players are in the number for the position they occupy!

I never understand this argument. Does a newcomer really need to know what a full back or a second rower does? Can't he just enjoy the spectacle? Can't he increase his knowledge organically over the, hopefully, dozens of games he watches? Does he have to sit some sort of exam before he can go to a game?

I watch a bit of CFL occasionally. It's OK. Been watching maybe ten games or so a year for a few years now. But I still don't know what a slot back or a strong safety is. Nor do I care really. If I ever do, I'll go on something called the internet and find out.

BTW, the club you support seems to be playing Union.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

10 hours ago, Griff said:

I never understand this argument. Does a newcomer really need to know what a full back or a second rower does? Can't he just enjoy the spectacle? Can't he increase his knowledge organically over the, hopefully, dozens of games he watches? Does he have to sit some sort of exam before he can go to a game?

I watch a bit of CFL occasionally. It's OK. Been watching maybe ten games or so a year for a few years now. But I still don't know what a slot back or a strong safety is. Nor do I care really. If I ever do, I'll go on something called the internet and find out.

BTW, the club you support seems to be playing Union.

Shame they are in Championship 1 and if you look online you can see their shirts from the 2022 season, whilst looking I suggest you also look at every other club in that division and tell me how many have BOTH squad number and player's name on the back? I await your answer on that front.

BTW they may be a newcomer to watching TGG but would hope they had some knowledge of other sports they can relate to such as soccer to give them an idea of the role of positions in a team sport.