Sat 4-Sun 5 Feb: Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

A deserved (if scrappy) try for Josh Ralph who looks set to be one of the standout performers in the Championship on this showing. 4-24, six tries and no conversions from Toulouse.

The other main feature of the game has been Toulouse's line speed in defence which has been outstanding, Barrow have had no room to play at all. How they'll go against a stronger pack that challenges them more in terms of ruck speed will be interesting but on this showing they will be a danger to all.

One possible worry for them, Olly Ashall-Bott, who looked very lively and sharp, went off injured in the second half.

The question in my mind is have Toulouse been underestimated and Barrow overrated.  I thought Barrow would put up stiffer resistance at home against and allegedly weakened Toulouse. I know it's early days but Toulouse were impressive. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Also Laguerre went off having seemd to injure his shoulder when scoring, he too had played very well.

Shame for the young lad, I thought he showed a lot of promise. 2 scores is a good start. He will have a scan next week. OAB will be out for the obligatory 12 days. Maybe Latrell will be ready soon. TO don't need to lose more from the squad this early. I'm not sure what the rules are about using elite players, but if they are forced to, and allowed to, bring in 3 to 4 young French lads into the Pro setup then that can only be a good thing for the French game.

Promising game for me though, it seems like a completely new team, finally banishing the shadow of Johno and Killer that was hanging over them last season. I thought it would take more time to gel, the 2 halves look good. If they can stay fit enough to keep bringing the speed of the SL game into the championship then they shouldn't have too many problems.

Still, it's not the 1st game of the season that matters too much, it's the last one that counts.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Normy_Rover said:

The question in my mind is have Toulouse been underestimated and Barrow overrated.  I thought Barrow would put up stiffer resistance at home against and allegedly weakened Toulouse. I know it's early days but Toulouse were impressive. 

Toulouse have a cracking first choice 17 - it's the tiny squad that is causing people to doubt them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Team still ######!

Batley try early on. Could be a long day. 

Batley also add the 1st conversion of the new season...well done!

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Is there anyone in the main stand where the dugouts are? Looks like about 700-800 over the other side?

No. I would say there are far more than 800 from prior experience.