Sat 4-Sun 5 Feb: Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

29 minutes ago, Niels said:

It's good to have your faith. 🙂

We lost 2 key players but have replaced them well and have strengthened the pack. 

It was a good win today. 

Should be a good match tomorrow.

London may not be a 'top' team like they were but it's a right trek and they gave it a good go,a good away win today for Batley. Don't know what to expect tomorrow night to be honest, both squads good on paper but it's not played on paper lol. Hopefully it's a good game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

4,870 at Bradford. Not awful but not quite a world record either.

Forget the attendance Jack Walker left the field after only four minutes with a suspected hamstring tear. it never rains but it pours for the poor lad

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

Agreed, 

Will there be any club that breaks the 5k barrier or have we already seen the bigest champ attendance of the season?

Someone posted the other day that Whitehaven could beat Toulouse's average of c. 4700 in SL.

So Whitehaven v London next week has chances. 

7 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Agreed, 

Will there be any club that breaks the 5k barrier or have we already seen the bigest champ attendance of the season?

Bulls got over 5k for the Good Friday game against Halifax last season, so maybe they will beat the world record for a Bradford home game in 2023 at some point?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Sets up some good games next week . Barrow  vs Shef , batley vs Swinton and Haven vs Broncos. We will have another two teams off the mark and maybe a few that start to worry. Looking at Thunders fixture list upcoming  that win looks huge. 

Would that be the 5 away games to start the season including Toulouse and Fev! How/Why on earth we've ended up with 5 away games on the bounce I do not know, first home game isn't until 18th March against London!

1. Not the hoped-for crowd at Odsal but it was absolutely freezing on that terrace.

2. Hope springs eternal! Some of the inside and corners of the stock car track track have been pulled back. Perhaps we can have the pitch widened a bit more.

3. The score flattered Whitehaven. The Bulls bombed some chances in the red zone. Tom Holmes was rightly man of the match but everybody pitched in.

4. Cue wholesale derision from many board members: We lacked a bit of bashability and missed Steve Crossley in that respect.

5. Funniest moment A: Whitehaven played in green and black. So did the referee.

6. Funniest moment B:The second half got pretty niggly and the Bulls gave away a series of penalties. The referee was warning Michael Lawrence about persistent offending. Just then,  George Flanagan came back on the field. 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Just now, Wolford6 said:

Some of the inside and corners of the stock car track track have been pulled back. 

Does that mean less stock car racing and the Bulls might finally be getting to be bosses of their own ground again?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Does that mean less stock car racing and the Bulls might finally be getting to be bosses of their own ground again?

The Council have been fielding complaints about it so might have negotiated a compromise. Probably wouldn't be as wide as previously.

I hope the dangerous concrete bollards go from the touchlines. We dont play soccer, we play rugby. If a stock car careers onto the pitch, the gouge marks can be patched up with compacted sand, soil and turf. I would imagine that would be more satisfactory for the stock car teams as well.

• Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 01/02/2023 at 17:55, Barley Mow said:

Barrow Raiders v Toulouse Olympique - TO by 4
Bradford Bulls v Whitehaven - Bradford by 18
Halifax Panthers v Sheffield Eagles - Halifax by 8
London Broncos v Batley Bulldogs - Batley by 14
Swinton Lions v Newcastle Thunder - Swinton by 6
York Knights v Widnes Vikings - Widnes by 12

could you pick my lottery numbers!! 🙂

Edited by 40yearsatlondon

9 minutes ago, 40yearsatlondon said:

could you pick my lottery numbers!! 🙂

With the Swinton v Newcastle scores level with a few minutes left I thought I was in with a chance of getting all of the winning teams right, it wasn't to be though.

That's likely my highpoint for the season!

1 hour ago, NERugbyDad said:

Would that be the 5 away games to start the season including Toulouse and Fev! How/Why on earth we've ended up with 5 away games on the bounce I do not know, first home game isn't until 18th March against London!

They should be at home to Fev on 26th but the fixtures have been reversed

https://www.totalrl.com/featherstone-rovers-agree-to-fixture-reversal-with-championship-rivals/

1 hour ago, NERugbyDad said:

Probably because they asked to be away. I expect they'll have their reasons.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 hours ago, JonM said:

Good win for Widnes, really dominated the first half and yet somehow managed to be behind on the scoreboard at half-time. Millar was superb and Kieran Dixon on the opposite wing also had a very good game. York looked solid in defence and Kirmond looked dangerous on many occasions, but they looked a bit disorganised in attack - maybe a little more time needed for Cunningham & Harris to get to know each other?

Concerns Cunningham's done his ACL 30 minutes into his dayboo. Hopefully not, and hopefully Hingano isn't far off.

42 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Concerns Cunningham's done his ACL 30 minutes into his dayboo. Hopefully not, and hopefully Hingano isn't far off.

I was sat close to the bench and by the sounds of what Cunningham was saying its not good news .Henderson also said in his post match interview that Hingano was a few weeks away with a hamstring strain 

49 minutes ago, Cam varley said:

I was sat close to the bench and by the sounds of what Cunningham was saying its not good news .Henderson also said in his post match interview that Hingano was a few weeks away with a hamstring strain 

If hingano is a few weeks off why was he on the team sheet then changed only an hour before K.O

3 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

YOU ended up with 5 away at the start of the season because you asked FEV  to swop because some other team from newcastle are playing at wembley in a cup final on the 26th otherwise it would be 3 just like FEV in june

7 minutes ago, POR said:

YOU ended up with 5 away at the start of the season because you asked FEV  to swop because some other team from newcastle are playing at wembley in a cup final on the 26th otherwise it would be 3 just like FEV in june

I'd seen the Fev game had been swapped, hadn't seen the reason and hadn't made a connection with the date. Makes sense in some ways as crowd would be severely hit but to end up with 5 away to start the season seems mad. Why on earth has it been scheduled in for teams to have 3 in a row away anyway?

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Then they'll have a glut of Home fixtures.

I think that is similar for TO, 2nd half of the season is loaded more in favour of home matches.