Sat 11-Sun 12 Feb: Betfred Challenge Cup First Round Thread

11 hours ago, Jughead said:

Appreciate it’s not for everyone but the televised games tend to get some interest on here, so I thought I’d start a thread here. 

I’ll add fixtures here when I get the chance to. 

It certainly should be for everyone. Every small club deserves the chance to dream.

• Like 2

Isn't there another handling code game on in Edinburgh today? Why not change it till tomorrow at least it might get a bit more interest if they had done that, and in who's wisdom at the BBC decided to go there or is it more cost effective to send all the broadcast equipment together.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Enjoyable cup-tie - six tries to four - at City of Wakefield Golf Club, Lupset, where 2022 Yorkshire League Premier Division champions Westgate Common beat, 36-18, Crosfields, National Conference League Division Two runners-up last season. About 330 there (including a few following the visitors). Free entry, with a 12-page programme available for £2. Appeared to sell well.

All the damage was done in the first half, after which the Wakefield lads led 28-0. Roaring down the slope, they crossed in the fourth, seventh, 24th, 28th and 39th minutes. Four conversions. Error-stricken Crosfields, strangely lethargic, struggled to produce anything.

Different story after the break. The Warrington team, with the slope in their favour, were revitalised. Playing some slick rugby league, they got over in the 42nd, 55th, 69th and 72nd minutes. Only once, however, could they add the extras. Westgate Common landed a 49th minute penalty, awarded in front of the posts, then clinched victory with a converted try - from their impressive hooker - in the first minute of stoppage time. Each team came up with a 70-metre interception try.

An old, framed map in the bar indicated the site used to be called Lupset Hall Golf Club (at a time when the adjacent railway was operated by the London, Midland & Scottish company). The eponymous country pile, a Georgian structure, stands semi-derelict, 75 yards from the modern clubhouse. Great view from the latter's first floor balcony. Golfers told me a developer is seeking planning permission to convert into 16 luxury flats the hall, which until about six years ago served as the golf clubhouse.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 3

Some very interesting results yesterday. 

Surely one of the performances of the round was Wests Warriors going up to Skirlaugh and winning 26-16.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Dublin City Exiles became the first Irish team to win a Challenge Cup game (I think) by beating Hammersmith.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, tim2 said:

Dublin City Exiles became the first Irish team to win a Challenge Cup game (I think) by beating Hammersmith.

European Rugby League were saying that so I assume that it is the case.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Great for Dublin but two trips in three weekends cannot come cheap. Do they get any financial assistance?

Yes.

Every away club gets travel subsidy for each round.Depends on how far they have to go. It's either £300., £500 or £750..

So Dublin will get at least £750 towards that London trip.I believe that in the past the RFL may have in exceptional cases found a little extra.

All losing sides from Round 2 and onwards receive prize monies.

• Thanks 1

Just back from a busy Elmpark Way, where Heworth set up a second round trip to League One semi-pros Hunslet by beating National Conference League First Division rivals Oulton Raiders 22-6.

Fairly comprehensive, in the end. The Villagers, more of a threat going forward, took their chances very well. When they had to defend, which they did in the last 15 minutes or so in each half, Heworth tackled with determination. Too many errors, though, from Oulton. Still, it's a first competitive runout for everyone.

Heworth scored tries in the 19th (converted) and 27th minutes to lead 10-6 at half-time. Oulton replied with a 24th-minute unconverted try and, in front of the posts, a 39th-minute penalty. After the break, Heworth added converted tries in the 41st and 66th minutes.

Decent crowd - about 350, I would say. Admission was £2.50, with a 16-page programme available for a quid.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/02/2023 at 13:16, Harry Stottle said:

Isn't there another handling code game on in Edinburgh today? Why not change it till tomorrow at least it might get a bit more interest if they had done that, and in who's wisdom at the BBC decided to go there or is it more cost effective to send all the broadcast equipment together.

Don’t know didn't create headlines of a different type, games without referees (for the 2nd half restart) 

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Some very interesting results yesterday. 

Surely one of the performances of the round was Wests Warriors going up to Skirlaugh and winning 26-16.

17 NCL sides will feature in Round 2 , with ,because of the luck of the draw, at least 10 Community clubs guaranteed to proceed to Round 3 when the Championship sides enter...

On 12/02/2023 at 14:04, Hopping Mad said:

Just back from a busy Elmpark Way, where Heworth set up a second round trip to League One semi-pros Hunslet by beating National Conference League First Division rivals Oulton Raiders 22-6.

Fairly comprehensive, in the end. The Villagers, more of a threat going forward, took their chances very well. When they had to defend, which they did in the last 15 minutes or so in each half, Heworth tackled with determination. Too many errors, though, from Oulton. Still, it's a first competitive runout for everyone.

Heworth scored tries in the 19th (converted) and 27th minutes to lead 10-6 at half-time. Oulton replied with a 24th-minute unconverted try and, in front of the posts, a 39th-minute penalty. After the break, Heworth added converted tries in the 41st and 66th minutes.

Decent crowd - about 350, I would say. Admission was £2.50, with a 16-page programme available for a quid.

Bring on the Ken Sykes derby!

• Haha 1