Match thread: Championship Round 4: Featherstone v Newcastle. Sunday 27th February 2023.

marklaspalmas

On 24/02/2023 at 18:01, The Phantom Horseman said:

Based on the premise that players featuring in promotional photos usually seem to play, it looks like Kyle will be making his (full) debut this weekend.

On 25/02/2023 at 12:09, marklaspalmas said:

The club twitter feed this morning makes it obvious that Brad Day is fit and back and will be playing.

I think the use of Kyle Evans on the squad list is an ester egg too.......

Thats the end of that theory

By far the worse performance of the season yet weve scored 56pts and conceded 6pts 

Seemed off a bit today, partly due to the changes in game -Aekins going off injured was not in the script and required a re-shuffle

We were also partly off due to Newcastles knuckle draggers dragging us down to their level at times

They wont be the first side this season laying on for that length of time!

Red card was deserved as well

Think Bradford will give us a test - the extra couple of days to prepare will probably do us good

• Like 3

Newcastle turned up just to spoil and it removed any sense of spectacle or excitement in the game. We seemed to fall for it for at least the first 40, getting over excited with ball in hand and trying to force everything. The last 20 minutes was much more like it when we went back to basics and just had too much for them. Good to only concede single figures again and that came from a gift. Newcastle really offered nothing with the ball.

Hope Aekins is okay and has a speedy recovery. Luckily Pickersgill is still waiting in the wings if he's unfit.

Thought Wildie had a strong game in the halves after our restructure so kudos to him there.

6 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Newcastle turned up just to spoil and it removed any sense of spectacle or excitement in the game. We seemed to fall for it for at least the first 40, getting over excited with ball in hand and trying to force everything. The last 20 minutes was much more like it when we went back to basics and just had too much for them. Good to only concede single figures again and that came from a gift. Newcastle really offered nothing with the ball.

Hope Aekins is okay and has a speedy recovery. Luckily Pickersgill is still waiting in the wings if he's unfit.

Thought Wildie had a strong game in the halves after our restructure so kudos to him there.

Think that's a good summary. We were very ordinary today and they were down to 12 men when we padded the score in the last 15 mins or so.

On a bit of a hiding to nothing to be fair when everyone is predicting we will win by 60+. Hoping we can raise the intensity levels in what is bound to be a much better atmosphere on Monday night, when we will need to be better than today, regardless of the score.

• Like 1

Not a game to remember. Newcastle tactics very dubious but the ref was not strong enough. definite red card for the hit on Luke. We did not click until the last 20 by the time the match was put to bed. Aekins , I believe , has a hamstring pull could be out a month. I thought Deans kicking was very assured, and his move to fullback seemed to work.

Different match on Monday week, will settle for a win by 1 point if necessary.

Newcastle came with a game plan to slow down the ruck, and it worked for much of the game. I'm not sure why people would think they'd just roll over, and whilst it might not be felt that the ref's interpretation of the rules was correct in the time he allowed, he was at least consistent with it. 

It wasn't the most enjoyable game to watch, however we did at least adapt to the opposition and change the game plan in the second half to become more expansive to compensate. Playing with an extra man just made that a bit easier. 

Atmosphere once again felt a bit flat, which I'd suggest is down to the expectation of a one-sided game, as TPH mentions. 

Longy said on the radio interview that Aekins had a tight hamstring, not sure how bad it was but that he'd be assessed in the week with a view to the next match. Fingers crossed, and step forward Pickersgill if he's not fit. 

• Like 5

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

One of the least enjoyable games for a long time. I thought Mac had taken the coaching reins up again. 

I can believe we used to watch rugby in winter as it was bitter today.

I think the tone of the game was set after one minute when was it Taylor broke the line and chucked some rubbish out to Cozza with only the full back to beat. 

We were guilty of trying to score from every set at points in the game. 

We need a Batley, Tolouse  Sheffield to see how well we really are doing. Bradford should be a sterner test. 

Aekins, Hall, Hank all possible injuries for the next few weeks, so It's hang in there time in order to keep the best players fit. 

This time of season never worries me, it's September where we need to be fully fit and on top of our game. 

Most other clubs accuse us of using similar tactics, to slow the PTB down, although I hope that we are a little better at it than Newcastle.

I don't really think we were on it from the start, passes from acting half going high above peoples heads. I just think we had a bad day at the office, although it was nice to see we worked through it. It was a shame to see Aekins go off, hopefully it won't be a long term injury.

I thought that the ref lost control of the game, and fully expected a more serious flare up. I thought that Bussey did really well not to react to the provocation, as I thought they were trying to wind him up. 

If Aekins does miss next week, at least Pickersgill will be nice and fresh, and I am sure he would love a good game against his old team.

• Like 1

Yeah not a game that would make any first time fans want to come again.  Not sure why the atmosphere was so flat.  It could be that expectation of points thing which rubs off on the players ?

Just my opinion and I suspect not many would agree, as usual, but I don't get what we are trying to do with the entertainment.  I'd just about accepted that (when the PA system is working) we have to cease all half time discussion and general catch up with our mates etc in place of listening to music that will will bring in a new generation of Rovers fans (arguable) but today we got what I can only assume was someone's favourite Motown b-sides LP.  Not really sure who else that was for ?  Then we had the Phoenix nights style fun fair - the music which was off-putting if you were on that side of the ground during the game.

Anyway aside from the trivial stuff........As has been said - I'm not sure how we got to 56 points today and I thought Newcastle were much better than that.  To be fair I don't think we would have reached 50 without the yellow and red cards.  I may be corrected when the stats come out but it felt like Newcastle made good yardage with their sets .  Also for long periods their commitment in defence was good with some noticeable old-school round the leg tackling.  Nevertheless despite the general McDermott-like display we only conceded 6 pts which at least shows we did something way better than last year. 

Biggest concern for me is still the halves.  We may well have enough to finish top with what we've got (but not in any of the least 3-4 seasons).  Dean is a real talent and although he can make the odd error he's a match-winner.  As for the others - I don't like to be critical of individuals but I'd have Wildie in the halves and Lacans with Jones.  Say no more.   

Now the dust has settled finally watched it back on rovers TV and got to say on second viewing I was more impressed  with team than I was on Sunday

IN the first half  we didn't fall into the trap of trying too hard to show off which can lead to suspect offloads and silly mistakes but played simple rugby and without breaking sweat we strolled to a 22-6 half time lead if we can do that in the first half in any game playing up that according to others massive FEV slope  I would be a happy bunny 🐇

In the second half I thought we played well within our selves and the defence stood up to be counted and we didn't go through that funny patch when we forget how to play which made fax and whitehaven look better than they were

What pleased me was after Mckenzie scored early doors we didn't  shut up shop and think jobs done game over   we played right to the hooter resulting in back to back tries  for jack and joey in last couple of minutes

I  thought we were unlucky not to score more first from mckenzie offload that went to the one thunder player on walkabout  who was more surprised than any body to get the ball and after the whack to his head I bet he wished he hadn't🤣

Then the cut out passes from ryley INTENDED to  put GG in at the corner first one hit josh on the shoulder and the second his head  not a betting man but what are the odds of him getting in the way of both🤣

YES we scored when thunder had men in the  in the bin BUT that's what good teams do punish others for their indiscretions and remember some teams don't score and some teams concede  when they have the same advantage so well done FEV  for putting them to the sword 

Saw something which I have to confess didn't pay much attention too on Sunday Joey and Luke scored when Flemming was in the bin scoring with 12 men is  sooooo NIce

OVERALL  got to admit the game won't go into  FEV's history  of great victories not the most exiting game and didn't get the pulses racing and unlike the 83 cup final I will never watch it again BUT  a wins a win onwards and upwards Bring on the BULLS

:kolobok_grin::kolobok_grin::kolobok_grin: