TINPOT RL AWARD OF THE WEEK

Tinpot RL Award of the week  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Tinpot RL Award of the week

• Featherstone chairman Mark Campbell threatening customer raising an issue...
    • Salford Red Devils asking for artists/bands to perform/WORK for free?

3 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

I regularly get asked by bands to design posters etc for free. Apparently having my company name on the bottom of the posters will get other bands to know about me...

Don't think Salford are doing much wrong bearing in mind young up and coming bands play for nowt in pubs etc all the time.

Several wrongs do not make a right, bands should pay for your print/design services and pubs should pay expenses for bands. Salford are even asking for artists to essentially audition their work too, showing that beggars can in fact be choosers.

image.png.2b115d16913b2ed20b818a01e9cf6e2b.png

It's all well and good talking about opportunities/exposure etc, but to play a stadium and actually have people hear what's being played you are looking at thousands of £ in equipment and the cost to transport it to the stadium before you even start factoring the other costs involved for the artists. In that respect Salford are basically asking people to provide services out of their own pocket and for a club that has loft ambitions it's just not good enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thinking this through: what's the point of having an up and coming band that's playing for free in pubs as an act before a Super League game?

I can be convinced on this but, right now, it doesn't strike me that it's actually adding anything to the experience given that the band in question are unlikely to have any experience of creating a sound and atmosphere to win over a particularly unforgiving stadium (acoustic-wise, design-wise) like Salford's.

I expect what they are hoping for is to catch Oasis on the way up and any cudos that would bring in future. But such an up and coming band would already have its own (smallish) following and would almost certainly not play for free. A completely new band would effectively be using it as a rehearsal and I aren’t sure what this would add to the experience.

Anyone who has ever even played a pub gig will know that it involves a large part of the day lugging gear around, last minute hitches, drunk drummer etc etc. It’s not Live Aid but it can be a fairly big deal to you. They should at least compensate them with something. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Because "Exposure" is the currency of which Salford seem to use?

So he's basically saying people should get in for free because the super-duper, mighty, world's greatest ever team Sintellins are playing there and as such Salford's crowd will increase?

Ah I got ya. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clarifying.👍

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

So he's basically saying people should get in for free because the super-duper, mighty, world's greatest ever team Sintellins are playing there and as such Salford's crowd will increase?

Ah I got ya. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clarifying.👍

Missed The Point GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

If you're not changing for that casual whistle, get in touch with Salford. I think they might be interested.

Interesting fact that Roger Whittaker got his big break by performing at the Willows before a Salford A team game against Oldham on a Friday night in 1957.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Interesting fact that Roger Whittaker got his big break by performing at the Willows before a Salford A team game against Oldham on a Friday night in 1957.

Had I not known that wasn't true, I'd have been straight onto Wikipedia to check. 

Can't beat a bit of "New World in the morning". 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Had I not known that wasn't true, I'd have been straight onto Wikipedia to check. 

Can't beat a bit of "New World in the morning". 

If you are calling me a stinking liar sir!

Then you would be correct.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Great idea.

Why not get local barbers to cut peoples hair on the pitch for free to showcase their shops???

Get local bakerys to bake cakes to give out for free. Brilliant exposure for any small business, potentially thousands of customers.

Don't talk ######. Pay to play should be dead and buried. Can the club not afford to sling a local band £200? - Can go towards getting a batch of merch to sell at future gigs? Gear repair? towards a van?

Why should any act play/work for free no matter age or experience?

Give me a single reason other than the club being tight.

There’s no need to be rude pal, and many bands play for fun not cash so your barber / bakery analogies don’t work. If a band wants to do it for free they will, and if they don’t they won’t, it’s as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Exposure doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. 

Would you expect players to play for free to get exposure? 

No, I’m not expecting anyone to do anything for free. I’m merely saying Salford are offering the chance for a band to play in front of a large audience. They can choose to take that opportunity unpaid or not, it’s up to them.  I don’t know why so many on this forum are annoyed about it, must be a slow news day. 

• Like 1

It's the usual faces Eddie, must be half-term for a few of them.😁

Unfortunately, Salford don't have an Uncle Degsy, who is able to spend more on his entertainment budget than we are on our 1st team squad.😭

PS. Has anyone found out how much the cheerleaders/mascots are being paid yet?

36 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

See, whistling on here got me some exposure. Next stop that multi-million pound record deal! 😉

I would pay good money to watch a goose whistle... 

I'd pay more to watch a fox beat box... but im being picky now. 

• Haha 1