League 1: end of part 1

league 1 goes into two weeks hibernation after this weekend (apart from a single game next weekend).  I suppose this was planned because of the players that teams will be losing to the internationals🙂

Oldham will have played a grand total of 4 league games by May 6th. How are clubs supposed to pay the bills with these breaks in what is already a thin fixture list?

• Like 4

Agree in full, league one is an afterthought, somewhere to shove established teams who aren’t currently good enough for the championship, and anyone from the Heartlands who’s brave enough to give it a go, with no RFL support. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

league 1 goes into two weeks hibernation after this weekend (apart from a single game next weekend).  I suppose this was planned because of the players that teams will be losing to the internationals🙂

Oldham will have played a grand total of 4 league games by May 6th. How are clubs supposed to pay the bills with these breaks in what is already a thin fixture list?

Didn't the clubs vote in favour of not changing the fixtures or adding any loops when West Wales dropped out?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

The two week gap is actually scheduled for challenge cup in the 1st week and the international break in week 2.

As it happens Dewsbury are the only L1 side left in the cup - I'm not sure why the fixtures list them as playing Skolars that weekend in the league, they are actually playing Broncos in the cup.

If we want to push international rugby, I think it's sensible to have no league games in any of the pro divisions when internationals are on.

All that said, L1 clubs and their supporters do need a better deal. We have 36 pro clubs and need to have 3 divisions of 12 (rather than 12, 14, 10) as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Apparently Skolars v Dewsbury rearranged for April 29th. Without that they'd have had 2 home games until start of June!

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

8 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Didn't the clubs vote in favour of not changing the fixtures or adding any loops when West Wales dropped out?

Classic RL. 'Disgrace' that there aren't enough games, but the club's voting against playing more.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, ÂŁ7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a ÂŁ2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know why at that level a 3x round robin isn't considered given the number of teams involved. Folk happy to host but not wanting to travel perhaps?

If they wanted more games, they could have them. The obvious conclusion is that they don't.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I think the hesitation in more games was partly down to the fixtures having already been released before West Wales’ owner decided to pump his money into a nightclub instead of a terrible rugby league team and the work that would have been required to change the fixture list quite dramatically at short notice. It was something along those lines, anyway. 

11 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Classic RL. 'Disgrace' that there aren't enough games, but the club's voting against playing more.

Said at thetime it was bizarre . We need more games  , or i would have presumed 

Yes, turkeys sometimes do vote for Christmas.

Just about every step on the continual decline of the lower lever semi professional game have gone ahead with little noise from the victims.

Just look at the mess that has been made of the Challenge Cup.