Supporting Rochdale Hornets, is it worth it?

E.Thickett

I started to watch Hornets in the 60s. At that time they owned their own ground and had an exciting team .After moving away for 30 years I returned. At that time they shared a ground and had a reasonable team. Now they own nothing and have a poor team. I do not enjoy being packed into one small part of the stand and watching them lose constantly. If  they do not improve  I will not be there next season. This is sad

I too started watching in the sixties and there have been many more lows than highs. The lowest for me was when we were nilled at home to Doncaster and had about 200 watching . I couldn’t see better times coming even though we owned the ground then but they came through it and we had the great Myler and Koslett eras. I just hope you and other supporters stick with it because if it goes it’s gone forever. The club seem to be involving all parts of the community and attracting youth is the only way to attract  new supporters. Less and less of us diehards left now but passionate people like Andy and Carl and others I know are doing their best.

• Like 1

There’s never been a more important time to support the club. Look at the bigger picture with regards to what’s happening behind the scenes which hopefully will eventually reap rewards for this great club of ours.

If we don’t all work together for the common cause we won’t have a Hornets to support.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

I went to the game yesterday as a neutral, and tbh I thought you bossed the first 30 minutes (particularly in the forwards), and then fell asleep in defence for the last 10 mins, which got NWC back in to the game. and I really thought with the heat (at times) and NWC losing the centre so early on and down a substitute (as he didn't return), it would have told in the final quarter.

With a bit better discipline, ball control and game management in the 2nd half, I think you'd have won comfortably.

Whether it was a lack of fitness that caused the errors and ill-discipline, is anyone's guess? From a neutral standpoint it was an entertaining game. I saw NWC obliterate Midlands Hurricanes a couple of weeks prior, so I think it might be a bit soon to throw the towel in. 

Edited by DOGFATHER

23 hours ago, E.Thickett said:

I started to watch Hornets in the 60s. At that time they owned their own ground and had an exciting team .After moving away for 30 years I returned. At that time they shared a ground and had a reasonable team. Now they own nothing and have a poor team. I do not enjoy being packed into one small part of the stand and watching them lose constantly. If  they do not improve  I will not be there next season. This is sad

We 'own nothing' because the administration in-charge in 2008 burned our shareholding in the stadium when it used it as collateral against a loan which then then failed to repay because they went bust.

As others have said on here, it's tough to run a club at our level these days, but I'm happy to have a team to watch after coming so close to not having one. 

And if you look back at the club's results in the 60s, we may have been exciting, but we really didn't win many games then, either.  We flickered briefly under Myler and in the few years after that, but the back end of the 70s and the early 80s were an absolute desert. We got tonked at home by Fulham on a midweek evening in front of about 150 people in a stadium that was falling down around our ears, paying players contracts that we couldn't afford.

We need every supporter we can to get behind this board and the team. 

• Like 3

Teams like Rochdale Hornets can`t be allowed to disappear , we have lost too many old traditional Teams as it is .Everyone complains , but think of those long Sundays with no matches and the off season when you can`t wait for the first match to come along .I have been a Town fan since1963 , we have had more downs than ups in those times , but a true fan battles on regardless .I have fond memories of the Hornets non more so than when i was having a short break with relations in Littleborough , they asked what i wanted to do on Sunday , i said i don`t know about you but me and the wife are off to watch Rochdale v Widnes iin the cup ....Henderson Gill scored a couple i think in the days when Widnes were the Cup kings . Keep the faith .

• Like 1

Especially for ‘younger’ supporters of Hornets - hang in there folks and earn your stripes to become bona-fide diehards!   The last 60++ years have encountered many rollercoaster rides, disasters, hair loss and splendid surprises to help keep the faith.  Of course, how the RFL and others manage the future development of the game, especially at lower levels (and demographics in general) remains to be seen!

Edited by glemiln

When I started this topic it was because I considered that the quality of rugby and the match day facilities were poor.The current coach has the the opportunity  since  last season to put together a better team . This has not happened. If we get more of the same the support base will drop. Is there going to be a change? I do not want to stay away but I do want to enjoy my day out

We do appear to have the highest admission price for seniors, at least among the northern teams in the division. Some others dont have concessionary prices for seniors either but they dont charge 17 quid admission.

Seniors can get in St Helens for 17 quid.

22 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

We do appear to have the highest admission price for seniors, at least among the northern teams in the division. Some others dont have concessionary prices for seniors either but they dont charge 17 quid admission.

Seniors can get in St Helens for 17 quid.

£17 is a disgrace. I'm so glad that the new Oldham board reversed the stupid decision taken by the previous owner and reintroduced concession prices (£10 for over 65's). 

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 1

They wonder why the club is in freefall - £17 for their long time supporters is a nonsense. Clubs like ours don't really have a young fan base it depends upon us owd uns.

Sadly at £17 I don't think I will be crossing the Rubicon - I'll listen to the game for free on Oldham Community Wireless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Oldham Community Wireless.

Presumably the construction of the 40ft communication masts across Oldham was completed successfully?

I am sure that the Hornets faithful would like you to cross the Rubicon and allow your return, if you wish!

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, E.Thickett said:

It is all getting a bit silly. What I  originally asked was was it worth watching  Rochdale Hornets when the quality of the rugby was poor. I was not referring to the admission price

They are related though. £17, it could be argued, for concessions is worth it to watch a winning superleague team, but not a league 1 team.