What is the greatest ground in RL history?

5 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Always remember when the SFS opened the then editor of the now closed 'Rugby League Week', Norm Tasker, commenting on how in the rain it resembled real life - 10% in the warm and dry and everyone else being ****ed on!

I attended a Roosters V Cronulla game Easter 2015 that was played in a monsoon,there wasn’t a dry seat to be found in the stadium & there was only about 6k of us in there.

The new Allianz is a fantastic place to watch RL.

• Thanks 1

Well, surprisingly in all my life i have never been happier than at Tattersfield. Broken down, semi derelict but defiant, and when we beat Huyton in front of the cameras that was our Wembley. 

And wasn't the little stadium a treat when the Dons entertained Leeds in the 'Big League', i had never seen so many blue and yellow scarves, but then remembered that's Leeds colours too!

I only went to Central Park once, and that was for the Manly game, and can certainly vouch for the game and attendance but dont remember the stadium.

• Like 1

I think I’d probably back the calls for Central Park being the best. I was at the Wigan Manly game which was a superb game and atmosphere. Or various finals or cup semi finals played there but that’s not why. Going to games in the mid 80s to early 90s there was nothing better than going there and watching your team get a win with a big crowd on. It didn’t happen very often but against a team everyone else had to measure themselves against it meant a lot. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think I’d probably back the calls for Central Park being the best. I was at the Wigan Manly game which was a superb game and atmosphere. Or various finals or cup semi finals played there but that’s not why. Going to games in the mid 80s to early 90s there was nothing better than going there and watching your team get a win with a big crowd on. It didn’t happen very often but against a team everyone else had to measure themselves against it meant a lot. 

My first Wigan/Saints game at Central Park,got there early & picked a good spot on the terraces at the halfway line only for 3 old dears to rock up 5 mins before KO,plonk there milk crates down in front of us & got a great unobstructed view of the game,I managed to see some of the action on tiptoes peering over the blue rinses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

My first Wigan/Saints game at Central Park,got there early & picked a good spot on the terraces at the halfway line only for 3 old dears to rock up 5 mins before KO,plonk there milk crates down in front of us & got a great unobstructed view of the game,I managed to see some of the action on tiptoes peering over the blue rinses.

If you struggle to see over people because of your height and want to see a bit better these days, try some shoes with big heels- you will be like a young Tom Cruise.

Did Wigan win that game?

• Confused 1

On 04/07/2023 at 10:30, Damien said:

As a Wigan fan I have to mention Central Park. It was a special place and had a fantastic atmosphere with a good crowd on. 37k v Manly was just electric and a night never to be forgotten. It also had the perfect mix of sitting and standing and was in a great location.

Walking past going to College we would often wander in for a look around and just walk around the place in awe. Then you'd just bump into someone like Martin Offiah coming back from a warm up jog. Great times and a great place.

yes i loved central park went a couple of times with the Eagles but best night was England v Fiji in 95 will always stay with me .

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 19:24, JonM said:

Always found it pretty cool that watching games at ANZ/QE2 stadium in Brisbane could involve a train trip to Runcorn 🙂

Lots of good suggestions above. I might add Carlaw Park in Auckland to the list, and perhaps Wingham Park in Greymouth.

That train ride passed the prison on its way to Runcorn I recall. Same the world over eh?  That prison, Boggo Road gaol,  is now a museum.

On 06/07/2023 at 20:34, south yorkshire said:

eagles getting an 18 all draw wasn't a bad day either although we ended up going down that season despite that result.

We should've won.  Gamma had a try disallowed which looked good on the video.

Woudn't have kept us up, mind.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Central Park for me.

1. My team (Barrow) beating the Widnes 'Cup Kings' in the 1983 Lancashire Cup final. 

2. GB vs Australia in the 1982 Ashes series. The Invincibles were from another planet. 

3. Wigan v Manly. Unbelievable atmosphere. 

4. Various games in the late 80s with Wigan fans trooping out of the ground in disgust with 10 minutes to go because they weren't destroying the opposition by a sufficient margin.

5. Billy Boston's pub. 

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 1