NRL clubs spreading...

1 hour ago, footy_fan_nrl said:

Victoria is a state of like 6 million people, shouldn’t they have way more players given the popularity of the NRL though??

No. It has a dominant sport. How many people play rugby league in London? Or even in Greater Manchester for that matter?

Rome wasn’t built in a day. What matters is the direction of travel. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

11 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Rugby League in Victoria seems to be on a good trajectory.

Record number of teams and players for this year.

https://www.nrlvic.com/post/rugby-league-hitting-record-numbers-in-victoria

Probably the closest thing you can compare to London really and it seems to be doing better.

Excellent news 

On 09/07/2023 at 10:40, Eddie said:

France as well, where the game seems to be contracting, such a shame. 

Naturally, when an important club like Toulouse were not given a 3 year exemption, at minimum, from relegation after their promotion to Super League.

The RFL is run by incompetent little men who are scared to offend the selfish flat cappers like Huddersfield CEO Thewlis. Rugby league will never expand in the northern hemisphere under such leadership.

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

Naturally, when an important club like Toulouse were not given a 3 year exemption, at minimum, from relegation after their promotion to Super League.

The RFL is run by incompetent little men who are scared to offend the selfish flat cappers like Huddersfield CEO Thewlis. Rugby league will never expand in the northern hemisphere under such leadership.

In part though, that's because the game in Britain has such a small following that it can't afford to alienate any part of it.  In view of the difficulties it's had in past attempts to reach a broader audience, it needs to hold onto what it has at all costs, or at least that's what its administrators seem to think.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 17:59, footy_fan_nrl said:

Victoria is a state of like 6 million people, shouldn’t they have way more players given the popularity of the NRL though??

The NRL isn’t historically popular in Victoria, which is why it’s quite impressive 

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

In part though, that's because the game in Britain has such a small following that it can't afford to alienate any part of it.  In view of the difficulties it's had in past attempts to reach a broader audience, it needs to hold onto what it has at all costs, or at least that's what its administrators seem to think.

It’s true tbf. 

7 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

While I’d love to see a strong Toulouse in SL it would ruin the integrity of the competition if they were exempt from relegation. Them having to pay others’ travel costs was appalling though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

While I’d love to see a strong Toulouse in SL it would ruin the integrity of the competition if they were exempt from relegation. Them having to pay others’ travel costs was appalling though. 

Well, hopefully the new grading system will sort the garbage P&R out. Let in clubs that actually have a chance of being something. It should go a long way to helping the cream rise to the top.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

“Ruining the integrity of the competition” for three years was arguably the best thing Super League and The RFL have done this century as Catalans Dragons are now one of the leading clubs, with good attendances, good results on the pitch (they’ve won more major honours in 17 years than many established clubs) and have handed debuts to 79 French born players that would have ordinarily been unlikely to debut in the competition. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I personally feel the NRL should go truly national and have clubs in Adelaide and Perth. And the additional 20th contender would be either another one from QLD or NZ.

Here I feel that there should be greater integration between the British and French game. Elite 1 part of an Anglo French pyramid. Super League as the senior European version of the NRL. Controversially I'd have Les Dracs and TO13 quasi-licenced excluded from relegation.

• Like 2

NRL down under

ERL for Europe on the continent

• Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

13 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I personally feel the NRL should go truly national and have clubs in Adelaide and Perth. And the additional 20th contender would be either another one from QLD or NZ.

Here I feel that there should be greater integration between the British and French game. Elite 1 part of an Anglo French pyramid. Super League as the senior European version of the NRL. Controversially I'd have Les Dracs and TO13 quasi-licenced excluded from relegation.

In what way does ' National ' work in International competitions ?

Tad pedantic sir. National in all Oz. Of course Kiwis added on.

I guess the luck for the NRL is the competitiveness of the QLD and NSW Cups As its an ideal laboratory to try out an Adelaide/Perth/et al venture before it ascended to the senior tournament.

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I guess the luck for the NRL is the competitiveness of the QLD and NSW Cups As its an ideal laboratory to try out an Adelaide/Perth/et al venture before it ascended to the senior tournament.

How do you envisage an Adelaide or Perth team in NSW or Qld Cups would in any way test whether an NRL club in those locations would be a success?

Agree with your earlier post about a more national presence. My choice of three would be CC Bears, Perth and NZII.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

How do you envisage an Adelaide or Perth team in NSW or Qld Cups would in any way test whether an NRL club in those locations would be a success?

Agree with your earlier post about a more national presence. My choice of three would be CC Bears, Perth and NZII.

Just an idea loosely, ah very loosely based on PNG in the QLD Cup.

5 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

What difference does it being called " Super League " or " NRL " ? , ' NRL ' means nothing to probably 99% of the UK population , the Aussies seem to think people over here know what it is , and it somehow will make RL here bigger , it wouldn't make 1 iota of difference