NRL clubs spreading...

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Champions of what though ? , Did those in Queensland consider the winners of the NSW comp the Champions of Australia ? 

Try asking a Queenslander that…..maybe on Wednesday evening!

Definitely not! Its true NSW teams bought any Queensland player who would take the 30 pieces of silver, funded by the income NSW clubs got from pokies. At the time the JBP government in Queensland would not permit pokies. Most of the Queensland players ‘defected’ but the King refused.  He agreed to play for Wakefield before he would head over the Tweed river and play for a NSW team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Brisbane Broncos won the NSW premiership in 1992 and 1993

Of course Broncos never played in the Queensland League ( or what was then the Brisbane League). When NSW RL decided it wanted a piece of the Queensland pie it supported the entry of a new franchise, much to the dislike of the BRL clubs. This continued with entry of Crushers, Cowboys and Titans…all new corporate entities. Dolphins are a bit different….emerged from an existing QRL club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Of course Broncos never played in the Queensland League ( or what was then the Brisbane League). When NSW RL decided it wanted a piece of the Queensland pie it supported the entry of a new franchise, much to the dislike of the BRL clubs. This continued with entry of Crushers, Cowboys and Titans…all new corporate entities. Dolphins are a bit different….emerged from an existing QRL club.

Rotten that as it really should of been the cream of BRL and NSWRL in a premier ARL.

19 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Definitely not! Its true NSW teams bought any Queensland player who would take the 30 pieces of silver, funded by the income NSW clubs got from pokies. At the time the JBP government in Queensland would not permit pokies. Most of the Queensland players ‘defected’ but the King refused.  He agreed to play for Wakefield before he would head over the Tweed river and play for a NSW team. 

Wally was handcuffed to BRL from the way I’ve heard it.

He wanted to go to Manly yet the deal couldn’t be pulled off. He had no issues going to Malny to earn a good buck.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Wally was handcuffed to BRL from the way I’ve heard it.

He wanted to go to Manly yet the deal couldn’t be pulled off. He had no issues going to Malny to earn a good buck.

So why didn't he.

On 09/07/2023 at 18:41, audois said:

Presently

1 Penrith

2 Brisbane

3 Cronulla

4 Melbourne

5 Canberra

6 New Zealand Warriors

When look back in the 1960's

It was all about St George and Sydney

We need to look like something....

Is my view of this post missing something? I actually don’t even understand what this post is asking or suggesting.

Looking at those list of teams, I wonder why Adelaide, Perth, Cowboys, Newcastle and Illawarra are not included?

St George is Sydney. 

We need to look like something…” yes we do. Do you want to change what we look like? Who is ‘we’?

22 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Are Melbourne really expansion,they don't produce high levels of junior players into the competition, the value is more profile for the competition especially on TV rights deals.

There are 17 clubs in the Melbourne RL comp running teams in multiple age groups, and Victoria has 10,000 registered players. It will be a great talent factory for decades now it's established, although it already has some notable products... including Gareth Widdop!!

By any measure Melbourne is successful expansion. The fact that News Ltd paid for it rather than the game more widely, and it's now profitable and self-sustaining now it's "our" problem, is a brilliant result.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

20 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

There are 17 clubs in the Melbourne RL comp running teams in multiple age groups, and Victoria has 10,000 registered players. It will be a great talent factory for decades now it's established, although it already has some notable products... including Gareth Widdop!!

By any measure Melbourne is successful expansion. The fact that News Ltd paid for it rather than the game more widely, and it's now profitable and self-sustaining now it's "our" problem, is a brilliant result.  

That's good but how long have they been going, and Widdop was already playing when he left these shores. The other question is do players not taken up by Melbourne go to other NRL clubs in any numbers. I know the more playing the game is always a positive but from the outside it looks like the look of the NRL spread wise is a bigger reward considering the amount of money invested to keep Melbourne a top side.

58 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

That's good but how long have they been going, and Widdop was already playing when he left these shores. The other question is do players not taken up by Melbourne go to other NRL clubs in any numbers. I know the more playing the game is always a positive but from the outside it looks like the look of the NRL spread wise is a bigger reward considering the amount of money invested to keep Melbourne a top side.

Widdop was 12 when he arrived in Melbourne. That region developed him.

Melbourne has had rugby league clubs for decades. The oldest club in the senior comp was founded in 1987. If you don't think 10,000 active, registered, fee-paying players represents successful expansion then nothing would ever satisfy you! That's a quarter of our entire UK game, within one pro club's talent pyramid. 

Melbourne Storm is a profitable business so no longer needs investment, the NRL media model and salary cap are what keeps giving Melbourne the opportunity to be a top side. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Your first paragraph is great to hear and isn't talked about anywhere near enough. The sport should be shouting that from the rooftops.

As for your second I think News Ltd got far more out of Rugby League, when they owned the game. suppressed TV rights and held it back for a good decade, than they ever paid towards Melbourne.

On 09/07/2023 at 15:45, GUBRATS said:

Correct , and what did they need to spend ( illegally ) on Melbourne to make it work ? , 30/40 million dollars ? 

Uncle Roop has, according to S Mascord, spent over 80 million Aussie dollars on the Melbourne Storm. Nothing illegal in what Fox did, it's just that Brian Waldron wasn't transparent, in any case we wouldn't have been able to keep Cam Smith most probably if Waldron had been transparent, the Storm should have been allowed to spend more than Sydney clubs and the Broncos for the first 10 years.   

• Like 1

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

As for your second I think News Ltd got far more out of Rugby League, when they owned the game. suppressed TV rights and held it back for a good decade, than they ever paid towards Melbourne.

Aye, very true.

Although to be honest I'd argue the ARL's Sydney boys club with Packer at Nine lost rugby league even more money in the prior couple of decades. Power brokers have always sold the game short in exchange for some personal sheen I think. 

9 minutes ago, Llangennech said:

Uncle Roop has, according to S Mascord, spent over 80 million Aussie dollars on the Melbourne Storm. Nothing illegal in what Fox did, it's just that Brian Waldron wasn't transparent, in any case we wouldn't have been able to keep Cam Smith most probably if Waldron had been transparent, the Storm should have been allowed to spend more than Sydney clubs and the Broncos for the first 10 years.   

Illegal in Salary cap terms , not criminal 

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Melbourne has had rugby league clubs for decades. The oldest club in the senior comp was founded in 1987. If you don't think 10,000 active, registered, fee-paying players represents successful expansion then nothing would ever satisfy you! That's a quarter of our entire UK game, within one pro club's talent pyramid. 

Melbourne Storm is a profitable business so no longer needs investment, the NRL media model and salary cap are what keeps giving Melbourne the opportunity to be a top side. 

I am not critical of Melbourne I like watching them and wish the whole area well, I wish we could invest in the sport to the level that Melbourne has had. You obviously have a better understanding of the area so I accept your view.

On 10/07/2023 at 02:26, ELBOWSEYE said:

Are Melbourne really expansion,they don't produce high levels of junior players into the competition, the value is more profile for the competition especially on TV rights deals.

The more time I spend here the more I realise how doomed the game is in England. 

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

The more time I spend here the more I realise how doomed the game is in England. 

Are we not allowed a view, and nothing I say will make or break the game, locally, national and international but I have put my time,money and effort in the game from being a junior playing open age coaching in numerous schools and amateur as well as being a season ticket holder and watching international games so without people like me there wouldn't be a game to be doomed.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Are we not allowed a view, and nothing I say will make or break the game, locally, national and international but I have put my time,money and effort in the game from being a junior playing open age coaching in numerous schools and amateur as well as being a season ticket holder and watching international games so without people like me there wouldn't be a game to be doomed.

Ditto , played as a kid , coached school and community ( all the kids that weren't wanted ) , sponsored school,community and pro , 4 years a director with a considerable financial input , now a ST holder and assist wife in running travel for fans to away games as cheap as possible for no financial gain 

These Aussies haven't a clue 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Ditto , played as a kid , coached school and community ( all the kids that weren't wanted ) , sponsored school,community and pro , 4 years a director with a considerable financial input , now a ST holder and assist wife in running travel for fans to away games as cheap as possible for no financial gain 

These Aussies haven't a clue 

They don't see, in the 80s when I coached junior and schools it's not just your commitment with time it was the amount of money you lost through being unavailable for work(when you needed it most). On one occasion I played Saturday tore my calf ,kept in hospital overnight,signed myself out Sunday morning so I could take my side to waterhead for a game.

Edited by ELBOWSEYE

13 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I am not critical of Melbourne I like watching them and wish the whole area well, I wish we could invest in the sport to the level that Melbourne has had. You obviously have a better understanding of the area so I accept your view.

Used to work there. The city is Aussie Rules mad, it's like a combination of football's mass popularity with rugby union's social importance (for status, promotions at work etc) all rolled into one. To be honest against that headwind it feels like a miracle what rugby league has achieved in 25 years there... but yeah like you say it's cost a small fortune, no question. Mind you, the AFL has spent 10 times as much on the Swans and Giants in Sydney (with the same still-limited results in elite talent development). 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Victoria is a state of like 6 million people, shouldn’t they have way more players given the popularity of the NRL though??