FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

37 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Very poor crowd for Roosters v Dolphins playing same time as Matildas. Commentators acknowledge fans in stadium have their minds elsewhere. 

Feel sorry for the players in a situation like that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Australia strikes me as being quite like the UK when it comes to big sports events. People will attend anything if it's seen as a big event.

Firstly, that's the same the world over. Australia and the UK are no different to anywhere else.

Secondly, by saying that people will attend anything if it's seen as a big event, you're falling into the trap again of acting as if people are stupid and uncaring about what they're watching, and just going to so called big events like sheep.

That just isn't the reality for the vast majority. You're putting the cart before the horse. Big events do well because people already have some interest in what they offer. The support is much more authentic than this idea of manufactured crowds just going to an event because someone calls it a World Cup or whatever.

Great achievement from the Lionesses to make another semi-final. Very pleased that it's against Australia too. Tournaments are always better when the home nation(s) goes deep. I'll even be supporting the Matildas if England don't get through. Hopefully that won't happen though. Either way, it's going to be a raucous sell-out crowd for the semi-final. Bring on Wednesday, or whenever it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

You'll just love this;

Very poor crowd for Roosters v Dolphins playing same time as Matildas. Commentators acknowledge fans in stadium have their minds elsewhere. Loud cheer as Matildas win. So that's Australia sorted by soccer, only Indian sub continent left. The A League is still of little interest,  will some backers put money into it like MLS ? 

This is mental torture for me ...some times I wish I was never into Sport.

Edited by EggFace

Australia in the semi-final - so England are playing a fiercely competitive home side whose kit even looks like a banana skin! :kolobok_unsure:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Great achievement from the Lionesses to make another semi-final. Very pleased that it's against Australia too. Tournaments are always better when the home nation(s) goes deep. I'll even be supporting the Matildas if England don't get through. Hopefully that won't happen though. Either way, it's going to be a raucous sell-out crowd for the semi-final. Bring on Wednesday, or whenever it is.

The game will probably be the most watched sport on TV in Australia this year unless the Aussies reach the final when the TV audience will be larger.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 09/08/2023 at 23:38, gingerjon said:

Blimey 

Found it..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/world-cup/passenger-watches-lord-of-the-rings-as-australia-goes-nuts-for-matildas/news-story/5ff2c20eaf3db123241f3c45c8ca807d

More than 3.5 million watched the Matildas’ round of 16 win over Denmark on Monday night on Channel 7 – 3.18m on TV and 385,000 on the 7plus streaming service.

Even just those numbers were enough to outrate every NRL Grand Final and State of Origin since 2016 as well as five of the past seven AFL Grand Finals. And even more football fans more would have been watching via Optus Sport, as well as all those at live sites.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/08/2023 at 17:04, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 23:

32,021 - Spain v Netherlands, Wellington

43,217 - Japan v Sweden, Auckland

Total attendance: 1,606,863

Avg Attendance (58 games): 27,705

Attendance Watch Day 24:

49,461 - Australia v France, Brisbane

75,784 - England v Colombia, Sydney

Total attendance: 1,732,108

Avg Attendance (60 games): 28,868

28 minutes ago, Copa said:

Found it..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/world-cup/passenger-watches-lord-of-the-rings-as-australia-goes-nuts-for-matildas/news-story/5ff2c20eaf3db123241f3c45c8ca807d

More than 3.5 million watched the Matildas’ round of 16 win over Denmark on Monday night on Channel 7 – 3.18m on TV and 385,000 on the 7plus streaming service.

Even just those numbers were enough to outrate every NRL Grand Final and State of Origin since 2016 as well as five of the past seven AFL Grand Finals. And even more football fans more would have been watching via Optus Sport, as well as all those at live sites.

You proud that 3rd rate Female team sport of Soccer has beaten the Trad games of Australian Football i.e AFL and NRL....I blame Covid.

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The game will probably be the most watched sport on TV in Australia this year unless the Aussies reach the final when the TV audience will be larger.

If that happens, the BBC will probably claim that it's almost as widely watched as Rugby Union.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Copa said:

Found it..

The Matildas today surpassed everything since Cathy Freeman's run in the Olympics in 2000 according to a report I've just read.

I have no idea what's in Australia's TV history to compare to a date with England in a soccer World Cup semi final.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The Matildas today surpassed everything since Cathy Freeman's run in the Olympics in 2000 according to a report I've just read.

I have no idea what's in Australia's TV history to compare to a date with England in a soccer World Cup semi final.

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and-marketing/matildas-smash-20-year-old-ratings-record-20230813-p5dw28

29 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Spain beat Sweden to reach their first World Cup final. This also guarantees both finalists will be in their first final. 

SPAIN!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

On 12/08/2023 at 22:32, EggFace said:

You proud that 3rd rate Female team sport of Soccer has beaten the Trad games of Australian Football i.e AFL and NRL....I blame Covid.

God, reading your posts on this topic is sad.

Go outside, don't watch it, don't read it if you hate it so much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Come on Lionesses!

One question, and I know I'm too stupid to understand, why are England in blue? White vs Yellow is so iconic.

Soccer (and I think RU) has a tone/contrast requirement as well as colours. It could be that.

Or it could be that Nike want to sell kits.

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Soccer (and I think RU) has a tone/contrast requirement as well as colours. It could be that.

Or it could be that Nike want to sell kits.

Apparently it's something to do with colour-blindness. I still think it's sad that we're not seeing the yellow vs white.

Anyway, that said, great first half from England. Great goal that we've deserved, been the more controlled game all half.

On 13/08/2023 at 01:16, gingerjon said:

One interesting difference is that Cathy Freeman was an indigenous athlete whose win was hugely symbolic for the way in which indigenous people are recognised in Australia.

I was just reading an article in an Australian publication claiming that soccer has been an inclusive sport for indigenous people in Australia and so i turned on the semi-final expecting to see some indigenous players in Australia's team.

But there didn't appear to be any and, on checking further, I see that only one indigenous woman, Kyah Simon, is on the bench for the Matildas.

That was surprising for me. And I think you would find the same thing in cricket, whether men's or women's, that indigenous players representing Australia are few and far between.

At a time when there is a major debate about indigenous representation in the Australian Parliament, you may think that is surprising.

• Like 1

I’m amazed at how many women I know here who have never watched a soccer match before (some have watched little kids play) who are watching this.

I was in a pub in Melbourne the other night watching a match and a woman yelled out “great almond!”. She was quickly told about nutmegs.