Match thread: Championship Round 21. Halifax v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 6th August 2023.

marklaspalmas

We have a big lead now with just seven league games to go.

Hard to imagine any scenario where we don't finish top from here.

Therefore a home semi-final v 4th place., etc etc.

Until then though, I think form and fitness, plus that all important 'momentum' are going to be extremely important on the run in.

With Longstaff in there and Astley still with us we are running a 28 man squad at the moment with 6 players injured (Day, Ford, Moors, Bussey, Hepi and Hardcastle)

Changes for our trip to The Shay? I assume Mark Kheirallah will be back, which could disturb the halfback pairing again.

McKenzie Yei will hopefully not be too long before returning. Koppy may be due a run in the forwards.

Otherwise. as you were.

We should beat Halifax, and we have a great record there. But I see this fixture as a banana skin.

I don't see you have anything to worry about in the slightest. We are out of form and have been most of the season, we have a bunch of players who certainly won't want to get injured for the following week, we have a coach who will say the right things in the build up regarding places been up for grabs, we also have a coach that likely already knows his wembley team and someone having a worldy would not change that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I don't see you have anything to worry about in the slightest. We are out of form and have been most of the season, we have a bunch of players who certainly won't want to get injured for the following week, we have a coach who will say the right things in the build up regarding places been up for grabs, we also have a coach that likely already knows his wembley team and someone having a worldy would not change that.

Maybe so, but we can’t take anything for granted, and you have got the quality to put in a performance. 

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Maybe so, but we can’t take anything for granted, and you have got the quality to put in a performance. 

Yer that out of form yer playing in a final at Wembley on Saturday.

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

We always win at the Shay - 1 league defeat in 13 years or something like that?

They could have their best 17 available & we would find a way - seem to up our game there - Sunday will be no different

Wembley is going to be on their minds its human nature, seen it at Fev a few times.

12 hours ago, RobLambert said:

That may be true but they would be mad to put Wembley ahead of finishing in the top 6.  Fax are definitely one of the teams that could potentially cause a surprise in the play-offs

Totally disagree R your suggesting it's better for the players to get into the top 6 than win at wembley  don't forget this could be the only time some of

get to play at wembley 

After us they have 5 games against teams below them they could target for that elusive top 6 but bottom line is they are were they are because of the 9 defeats in 20

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, POR said:

Totally disagree R your suggesting it's better for the players to get into the top 6 than win at wembley  don't forget this could be the only time some of

get to play at wembley 

After us they have 5 games against teams below them they could target for that elusive top 6 but bottom line is they are were they are because of the 9 defeats in 20

I can see both sides of the theory. But one thing i am certain of,players are more likely to get injured not going full out as body is more relaxed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I can see both sides of the theory. But one thing i am certain of,players are more likely to get injured not going full out as body is more relaxed.

I totally agree S and of  course they will all be playing proper rugby on sunday and will be trying to win but my point is to suggest they should prioratise a 6 place finish over a wembley win is silly

Not surprising with the amount of moaning that Fev are in town on the fax Facebook.

Sounds like they aren't opening the north stand and fax are fearing for their lives.

On a brighter note will be a good championship advert on the telly for everyone to watch!

Edited by Wolfey Rovers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

Not surprising with the amount of moaning that Fev are in town on the fax Facebook.

Sounds like they aren't opening the north stand and fax are fearing for their lives.

On a brighter note will be a good championship advert on the telly for everyone to watch!

Joking aside I get why fans of both sets give it a miss so won't get in to those arguments. I were brought up on trips to the Boulevard so to be honest I like games that have a bit of an edge to them and think it can add to the atmosphere mingling with other fans. As for the good advert for the championship I really don't know what to expect. As a player, especially the ones who already know their place is safe, i'd be trying to keep out of trouble and that probably means not putting 100% in so just because of that and our form I think it will be a comfortable Fev win and not great advertisement. 

Edit: Ive just seen the thread you talked about. My favorite comment is now avoiding the game because they don't want kids to hear the expletives that come out of Fev fans mouths. Erm all I can say is that they must not stand anywhere near our "barmy army" every week then.  I thought I were told old to learn new swear words but it turns out I were wrong. 🤣

Edited by The Blues Ox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, POR said:

NOW the squad out the question for me is who plays in the half's along side Caleb A 

Aekins is not and never will be a stand off.But Long will play him with Chizzy at scrum half.I reckon he is frightened of playing Astley in case he shows form to give him a choice to make between Aekins,Lacans and Chizzy because we all know once fit Ford will play.

Not convinced that Aekins is the answer to partner Ford in the playoff final, I would play a natural half back, which means Lacans.

Aekins is a good player, but not at half back, if everyone is fit. 

If Chizzy is the answer, I'm not sure what the question is....

Our best side doesn't play Aekins and Kheirallah, it's one or the other, in my opinion.

We need to start thinking about the preferred side for the playoffs, and start playing them together as much as we can. 

Edited by bigbaldnmad
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

We need to start thinking about the preferred side for the playoffs, and start playing them together as much as we can. 

Yes and no B The only thing we really need to sort out is the half backs we need Fordy back ASAP so he play with different partner's  in games to see which one clicks so SL can then choose who he want's

For the rest I think if they don't get injured the out side backs pick them selves for the playoff's but cos of us going to top the league you can still rest and rotate  up to the end of the season The pack and subs  are much of a muchness they all can do a good job so you can mix and match and once again rest  and rotate players BUT when we get to widnes at home then SL has to pick what he thinks his his strongest team for that game and the playoff's

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Need a bit more size when we sub we were too light after the interchange last week. 

Funny thing L this will be the 3rd week Mckenzie misses out and he always brought some oooomph  off the bench :kolobok_grin::kolobok_grin::kolobok_grin: