Match thread: Championship Round 21. Halifax v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 6th August 2023.

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Unbelievable❗️JL looked as though he was trying his best to get sent off. 😮

No it was,O'Brien who was trying to get him sent off  Even the Fax commentator, whose catchphrase "nothing given" seems to get pulled out on every other play when he thinks Fax might get a penalty, was laughing at the incident and saying O'Brien deserved an Oscar for his dive. 

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

No it was,O'Brien who was trying to get hom sent off  Even the Fax commentator, whose catchphrase "nothing given" seems to get pulled out on every other play when he thinks Fax might get a penalty, was laughing at the incident and saying O'Brien deserved an Oscar for his dive. 

The Halifax commentator and Gledhill at Bradford are  as equally entertaining during commentary. I thought it was just me noticing the catchphrase " nothing given". He repeats it over and over again when he assumes Fax haven't been given the rub of the green and so I was dumbfounded when he made that call about O'Brien needing an Oscar. When players do that and it was obvious to all in attendance that he was trying to influence a young and up and coming ref then it is they that should be dismissed. All in all Fax did deserve their victory but one wonders how it would have planned out had Kheirallah not been sin binned. The ball was on the side of Kheirallah and he should not have walked. As a side note to the Fax commentator it would also be nice if he tried to use Jouffrets name without the over use of the French accent😄

Edited by J Phil Loxton
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

The Halifax commentator and Gledhill at Bradford are  as equally entertaining during commentary. 

To be honest Gledhill wouldn't bother me if he stuck to commentary, nor does the Fax fella, you expect in-house commentaries to be tailored for fans of the team doing the broadcast. It's when Gledhill tries to be a journo that it jars. He just can't seem to help himself with his Bulls propaganda, I don't think he does Bradford any favours as it just rubs people up the wrong way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

To be honest Gledhill wouldn't bother me if he stuck to commentary, nor does the Fax fella, you expect in-house commentaries to be tailored for fans of the team doing the broadcast. It's when Gledhill tries to be a journo that it jars. He just can't seem to help himself with his Bulls propaganda, I don't think he does Bradford any favours as it just rubs people up the wrong way.

I know what you mean with Gledhill. I used to watch him on " Show me the money " on YouTube just for the entertainment value alone but I can't seem to find any recent additions anymore so I don't know whether he has stopped broadcasting the show. His interviews with the Bradford coaches after matches are top dollar when he tries to put words into their mouths just to appease his own anxieties when they've lost. I do understand though that their commentaries are aimed at their own fans but some things are quite comical when bias sets in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

No it was,O'Brien who was trying to get him sent off  Even the Fax commentator, whose catchphrase "nothing given" seems to get pulled out on every other play when he thinks Fax might get a penalty, was laughing at the incident and saying O'Brien deserved an Oscar for his dive. 

That was one of three incidents though where he could have walked. 

9 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

That was one of three incidents though where he could have walked. 

Which incidents, just so we can review and give our opinion.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on O'brien deliberately trying to get a player sent off... they always used to say the difference between rugby and football was in football they spent 90 minutes trying to pretend they are hurt, while in rugby they spent 80 minutes trying to show they  weren't hurt.

Should players who feign injury, as O'Brien obviously did, be banned?

Edited by bigbaldnmad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Interesting to hear your thoughts on O'brien deliberately trying to get a player sent off... they always used to say the difference between rugby and football was in football they spent 90 minutes trying to pretend they are hurt, while in rugby they spent 80 minutes trying to show they  weren't hurt.

Yes, more and more creeping into our game and it goes against the whole ethos of Rugby League.

• Like 3

Well this is saying something but I've never seen so much ###### written on a RL forum about one game / team as I've seen written about Rovers on the Fax forum within the last week (and about us on our forum by Fax fans).  I do look at other forums as its interesting to see how other fans view games but I never comment on any other teams forum pages.  What I find difficult to understand is how much negativity / bordering on hatred there is towards us after we've lost.  When we have a good win I'm sure we focus more on our own team rather than taking such pleasure in having a go at the opponents.  Seems a bit sad really. With that in mind and given that we had to pay £22 on Sunday - thats me done with trips over there.  A shame as I liked the Fax away game - seems to always be a good game wherever we are in the league.  Anyway FWIW heres some of the best comments from the last week (I've had to add my comments) ................

Fev are getting more like bradfraud every day, they're deluded. (about what ?)

I still stand by what I said at the beginning of the season and I truly believe we are the second best team in the league (see above lol)

JWH is the best fullback in the division (Good game on Sunday but I think we'll keep ours)

Leilua must be the biggest, overpaid and overrated player in the championship - typical to seem him scuttle down the tunnel at the end, without acknowledging the opposition or his own fans. (Funny how York fans were on our forum a few weeks back saying what a class player he was) 

That was one of three incidents though where he (Joey) could have walked. (Can't wait to see the other 2 incidents if the much talked about face stroking was a straight red)

Very poor following to say they're runaway leaders. And if you couldn't see them you wouldn't know they were there. Quiet. Didn't even hear them chant that obnoxious anti-fax chant. (Poor away following - I'm speechless)

Really cannot stand the fev fans (I'm ok with that blinkered comment - we know nobody likes us)

Springer looked absolutely knackered in the 2nd half, surprised he was kept on. Lazy in defence and started to hide in attack. Maybe grixy had a point after all!  (lol)

I'd have Gwaze over Springer  (Can't comment.  Sides splitting)

Is a plodding Springer better than some of the players we have? I can think of at least 3 players who had spells as prop for us on Sunday I would take him over. (stop it now)

Maizen was our MOM, Fev were really scared every time he touched the ball and the threat of Walmsley outside of him really cut Fev open (Missed that)

Sadly for Fev fans a change of coach can not change the players or the way they play the game. It really does not matter who the coach is as you can only work with what you have and Fev do not have the players to sling the ball about (Looks like we need better backs)

Obviously you could try more offloads but do you have the players capable of that, do they have that sort of fitness that would be needed to go along with that as well (looks like we need better forwards)

Woman I work with pointed out to a Fev fan in a red Merc leaving the car park in the wrong direction. His reaction was horrendous including 2010 references, which were unrepeatable.  A formal complaint is being made included a picture of Reg plate-if anyone else witnessed/heard they should contact the club.

"Tragedy chanting" or similar has been made an offence at football matches, don't know if it extends to Rugby or other events, but as an example 2 football fans were arrested at the weekend for making "aeroplane gestures" towards Cardiff City supporters, so it covers a lot. Certainly worth seeing if the local constabulary are able to do anything. (Deary me. Call the cops.  Yet again alleged incidents that only happen against Fax.  I've been watching Rovers for 40+ years and I've yet to see one of the alleged fax incidents that either didn't happen or was grossly exaggerated at best)

COME ON BATLEY !!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Whats not been mentioned is we could have stuck to our guns and kept the original kick of time (sure fax would have) i know that they deserved to win but we gave them more prep time for the final but looking back at it we played poorly and still could have won the game i really think the binning of Mark was a farce and we would have won without that.(2 tries in that period).

But looking at it as a hole its one game and i still think we have enough to get the job done.

8 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Yes, undoubtedly. Players cheating should be banned. That was embarrassing by O'Brien. As for JL there were two slaps ,contact with the head, and a kick out in the tackle. O'Brien got on with that one but don't you agree that should have been punished? 🤔

44 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Yes, undoubtedly. Players cheating should be banned. That was embarrassing by O'Brien. As for JL there were two slaps ,contact with the head, and a kick out in the tackle. O'Brien got on with that one but don't you agree that should have been punished? 🤔

Personally I think that O’Brien was lucky not to be punished. Trying to get a fellow player sent off is cheating and out of order. Surely we don’t want to go down the same route as football?.

29 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Personally I think that O’Brien was lucky not to be punished. Trying to get a fellow player sent off is cheating and out of order. Surely we don’t want to go down the same route as football?.

I think thats why Joey has not received a ban.O 'Brien clearly goaded him after Joey lost the ball so how could you ban Joey without punishing the instigator.As for the kick out Joey was trying to free the grip on his leg by the Fax tackler.He has a duty of care though so a penalty to Fax not enough for a yellow as not deliberate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Fev are getting more like bradfraud every day, they're deluded. (about what ?)

I'm not sure this was me but maybe it was in discussions regarding Matt Shaw's article saying Fax fans were entitled and yet we had Fev fans calling for Sean Long's head despite only losing a couple of league games?

I still stand by what I said at the beginning of the season and I truly believe we are the second best team in the league (see above lol)

Ive said this from the beginning of the season and I still stick to it, I'm not sure what the problem with this opinion is although you are obviously free to disagree. Beating Fev twice this season hasn't helped me change my mind about it.

JWH is the best fullback in the division (Good game on Sunday but I think we'll keep ours)

I wouldn't take him over any other fullback in the league. Again though it's just opinions so I don't see the biggy.

Leilua must be the biggest, overpaid and overrated player in the championship - typical to seem him scuttle down the tunnel at the end, without acknowledging the opposition or his own fans. (Funny how York fans were on our forum a few weeks back saying what a class player he was) 

I don't hold an opinion on that only about his performance in the game which cost Fev on multiple occasions.

That was one of three incidents though where he (Joey) could have walked. (Can't wait to see the other 2 incidents if the much talked about face stroking was a straight red)

I don't agree with this but I think he could have easily have been sent off in the game so he needs to be more carful.

Very poor following to say they're runaway leaders. And if you couldn't see them you wouldn't know they were there. Quiet. Didn't even hear them chant that obnoxious anti-fax chant. (Poor away following - I'm speechless)

It was a poor away following compared to what you usually bring but its a Sunday night TV match and Fax is probably an easy win for Fev. 

Really cannot stand the fev fans (I'm ok with that blinkered comment - we know nobody likes us)

I like all you lot on here and most Fev fans in general. You have a bad element which success can bring, our bad element has got smaller because we havn't been winning.

Springer looked absolutely knackered in the 2nd half, surprised he was kept on. Lazy in defence and started to hide in attack. Maybe grixy had a point after all!  (lol)

I don't agree with this, he was your best player in my opinion.

I'd have Gwaze over Springer  (Can't comment.  Sides splitting)

Not in a million years although our coach did agree and ended up losing both. 

Is a plodding Springer better than some of the players we have? I can think of at least 3 players who had spells as prop for us on Sunday I would take him over. (stop it now)

I said this and to put in to context I am saying that I would take a "plodding" Springer over at least 3 of our players so you are wrong if you are saying this is an insult.

Maizen was our MOM, Fev were really scared every time he touched the ball and the threat of Walmsley outside of him really cut Fev open (Missed that)

The best fullback in the league was MOM by a mile but I agree with the rest. Infact I think this might be me who said it but I believe I was pointing out that Maizen should not have got MOM. Its the same against any team though you have all that pace out wide and you have the championships best winger outside Maizen, who wouldn't be worried about that threat?

Sadly for Fev fans a change of coach can not change the players or the way they play the game. It really does not matter who the coach is as you can only work with what you have and Fev do not have the players to sling the ball about (Looks like we need better backs)

I said this and again its about context. Fev are a power team, they are not about finesse, want to change that you need a different type of player and it does not matter who your 1,6,and 7 are.

Obviously you could try more offloads but do you have the players capable of that, do they have that sort of fitness that would be needed to go along with that as well (looks like we need better forwards)

Fev's forwards always look a little tired late in games but its easy to hide that winning by 30 points but if you are going to introduce an extra 20 or 30 offloads in to the games then do they have the fitness for that? I think that is a very valid question.

Woman I work with pointed out to a Fev fan in a red Merc leaving the car park in the wrong direction. His reaction was horrendous including 2010 references, which were unrepeatable.  A formal complaint is being made included a picture of Reg plate-if anyone else witnessed/heard they should contact the club.

This was reported to the club by a fan and a steward and is been investigated. I also believe that some Fev fans witnessed it and also stepped in so fair play to them. Did "coachgate" happen? Did "toiletgate" happen?  As I have said before you do have a bad element and because of incidents in the past these seem to be highlighted a bit more than they might be if it were not against Fax. Instead of the "Why me?" attitude any Fev fans defending stuff like this should instead be trying to show the Fev fans up who are creating this sort of publicity.

FWIW the young un was in town after the game wearing Fax shirt and there was a group of Fev fans and apparently they all had a really good time together. It is not everyone. It is a very small group. 

COME ON BATLEY !!!

I'd agree if Fax were not playing. 😆

Ive got to comment as I think half these quotes are probably mine or at least discussions I were in, Ive tried to add some response or context in bold above as I think you are certainly doing me a disservice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Well if it was as bad as ( biased - aren't we all) Fax fans are making out why wasn't he either sin binned, sent off  or suspended by the review panel?  Answers on a postage stamp please.

On 06/08/2023 at 20:55, sentoffagain2 said:

Fax well worth their 3 point win in fact it flattered us.No joined up play Aekins not the player for that.Thought Astley grew into the game in the second half .Good accurate passes and a couple of drop offs worth another game at scrum half.Longstaff put in plenty of effort in the first half and was one of our better forwards but faded in the second.Wildie did ok two tries off his basic passes.Springer was good as always and Koppy made some good runs.Back three did not play well enough.No one sliding wide to help the centres something i have said they need to do all season.Defence poor Briscoe miles inside for Fax's first try but after that he stayed in a reasonable position and had 4 Fax players to cope with.He was outstanding for work rate taking the ball in time after time.Longstaff and K let one try in two of them should have defended better.Astley had a second rower running at pace to tackle and he didn't fancy it.Not his fault again we should have had a back rower defending the edges.How often have i said that this season.Sheffield game more important than ever now we need to bounce back.Couldn't tell by the effort which team was almost all full time.Hope Davies was rested and not left our because he has a job.Some hard decisions to be made by Mr Campbell reguarding the players and the running of the club if it is right that money is not being paid on time for everyday matters.Joey is not the best in defence and losses too much ball him and Ford have been poor value for their rumoured wages of  £100 k per season.Lets just support the players in coming games i am sure they want to win just like us supporters.

Ford a poor purchase IMO. Watched him two or three times and has not cracked any pots.

• Like 1