Sun 6th Aug: SL: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 15:00

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/23 at 14:30

11 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Yes. He will probably be in trouble. But I agree absolutely with what he said. And I applaud him for saying what he said.  Paul Wellens, on the other hand didn’t get into any trouble for his outburst. I wonder why?

Because they did not know which of Wellens faces to talk to.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

Just got round to watching the try highlights, can't see why Brierley was whinging about the Lees try. Knowles went to offload it and it hit Sneyd on the head before Lees picked it up to score. Was also a pretty poor effort from Sneyd for the last try, Welsby just walked past him. I'll need to watch the full game replay to comment on some of the other incidents mentioned.

Saints have had some poor results away at Salford in recent years so given they had 9 players out i'll happily take a win anywhere. They get Mata'utia back next week and possibly Hopoate & Batchelor. They should then get Bennison back the week after that and then possibly LMS & Hurrell back at the start of September. So for them I think just keep picking up wins any way they can, it doesn't really matter how at the moment while they build towards the play-off's and hope they dont lose anymore players to injury.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

48 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Just got round to watching the try highlights, can't see why Brierley was whinging about the Lees try. Knowles went to offload it and it hit Sneyd on the head before Lees picked it up to score. Was also a pretty poor effort from Sneyd for the last try, Welsby just walked past him. I'll need to watch the full game replay to comment on some of the other incidents mentioned.

Saints have had some poor results away at Salford in recent years so given they had 9 players out i'll happily take a win anywhere. They get Mata'utia back next week and possibly Hopoate & Batchelor. They should then get Bennison back the week after that and then possibly LMS & Hurrell back at the start of September. So for them I think just keep picking up wins any way they can, it doesn't really matter how at the moment while they build towards the play-off's and hope they dont lose anymore players to injury.

See a lot of people saying we should have Video Ref at every game, but if that's the only angle we're going to get at any non-TV game, no ref's calls will ever be overturned. Saw the same as you for that particular try, maybe the referee was in the best position to judge? 

As for Saints' prospects in general, win your game in hand and only points difference separates you from top 2. If you make the top 2, I'd give you every chance of making the GF, where experience over recent years will a massive benefit. Not sure I'd back Saints against Wigan or Catalans away in a semi final though. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I hear George Delaney was immense…

Paul Anderson picked him for the England Knights before he'd even played 1st team, think that says a lot about how well thought of the kid is. Scary to think he's still a teenager as well with a lot of filling out still to do over the next few years. As good as Delaney is I know there's a few people at Saints who think there's an even better prop coming through the system in Noah Stephens

• Thanks 3

"Gosh" was I right? Salford, ref then Saints.

This game should had been about the 150th anniversary and the Club's encouraging announcements on Friday, but no.

First I am appreciative no SRD player is facing a long term injury after playing the "Saints."

Second in the refreshed spirit of kindness that acknowledges the humanity of our officials, players, officers and supporters, I won't comment on some on play decisions.

There are many mysteries. Where the Soul lies, if it exists at all, what is Love? Can we find Dark Matter and the decisions of RL referees.

If St Augustine (or even St Helen?!) was around, I am sure they would find calculating the number of Angels dwelling on a pin head more challenging than the machinations of the whistler in the middle.

Perplexing how the Touch Judge misses a player in touch that leads to a sin bin, confusing how a forward pass that bounces off the tacklers head is still in play.

But like a betrodden  peasant faced with seemingly endless inequities by the authorities, you can sit there and accept it or stage your own Wat Tyler rebellion and try and do something about it.

Whilst I hope Rowley won't have his head spiked on London like Tyler, I am sure the bosses will be itching to figuratively decapitate him after his "Peasants Rebellion"

Myself - in that new desire not to arouse the wrath on here for pointing out the uniqueness and curiosities abound - will pass on.  And perhaps await for the Lord of Laws Padge to rule on that first Saints try.

Yeah Same old same rugby league. Laughable without being funny.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Perplexing how the Touch Judge misses a player in touch that leads to a sin bin, confusing how a forward pass that bounces off the tacklers head is still in play.

You must be confused, try re-watching the replays - you know the one where Knowles offloads it backwards and it then hits Sneyd in the head and bounces towards the Salford line, wherin Lees scores.

Are you auditioning for a new job as Paul Rowley's speech writer ?

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

James Bell banned for 1 match for a late tackle - the sort that the RFL have clamped down on this year. Must have missed his sin binning.

And another one. Jeez we must be well into double figures of games for our back rowers being banned for late tackles… 😡

13 hours ago, Josef K said:

Forty Seven tackles salford missed compared to Saints’s twenty seven, 

Its the officials fault. Rowley claims he definately heard the ref muttering an incantation just before every missed tackle so his players had no choice but to miss them 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Josef K said:

Forty Seven tackles salford missed compared to Saints’s twenty seven, that a hell of a difference. 

Absolutely. Watching the Salford "defend" that third Saints try was somewhere between Fraggle Rock and a collection of well oiled kippers, the way Welsby wiggled through.

Said it before, but as great the spine is, how expansive the rugby is, an anaemic pack will lose you the battle.

This season has been predictable. Start well, finish poorly. Added by Ill discipline, scratchy defending, abysmal game changing refereeing.

But despite all, Salford are a club going forward. Whether our refs are, is another matter.

6 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

But despite all, Salford are a club going forward.

Really !!! They're just about holding it together on the pitch but everything else they're teetering on the edge of crashing out of SL. The player sell-off has already started with Dupree, next season (or even in the off season) it will be another big name like Croft or Ackers going just so they can keep their heads above water.

Not so much going forward, more like treading water

23 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

You must be confused, try re-watching the replays - you know the one where Knowles offloads it backwards and it then hits Sneyd in the head and bounces towards the Salford line, wherin Lees scores.

Are you auditioning for a new job as Paul Rowley's speech writer ?

My opinion. Having run it over and over. Knowles forwarded it skull height (?!) 

Had he'd directed it backwards then it would have bounced likewise off Sneyd's heid. 

Marc E. dragged yer Saint around and in that moment Knowles either knocked on or passed intentionally or unintentionally forward and that momentum carried the ball behind Sneyd. 

it's all incidental now. It's really not about that moment, the result but how we can better support our refs.

Forward. it ain't backwards. I will post all the positives from last Friday's Co-Owners meeting at another time. 

Edited by idrewthehaggis