Sun 27th Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos KO 15:00

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/08/23 at 14:30

19 hours ago, meast said:

Some poor sportsmanship from Leeds fans regarding Halsall's injury, the doctor was on the field almost immediately meaning the ref had to stop play , Leeds fans clearly don't understand this, the ref has to stop play in that instance regardless of where the ball is.

Yes it might have been unlucky on Leeds but to suggest a player got knocked out on purpose to prevent try is just crass and embarrassing.

The game was stopped before the doctor was on. Halsall also couldn't have been knocked out given he passed his HIA.

5 hours ago, phiggins said:

Given there doesn’t seem to be any conclusive evidence to say otherwise, maybe the officials got the calls correct and we should respect their opinion of the incidents more than the opinion of a player or coach? 

There is evidence. Go look at the offside call, horrendous.

21 hours ago, V02 said:

The game was stopped before the doctor was on. Halsall also couldn't have been knocked out given he passed his HIA.

How do you know Halsall "couldn't have been knocked out"?

Just because he passed a HIA doesn't mean he wasn't knocked out, it was serious enough for the referee to stop play and for the medics and doctor to come on the field.

But you know best I suppose 😂

Edited by meast
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, meast said:

How do you know Halsall "couldn't have been knocked out"?

Just because he passed a HIA doesn't me he wasn't knocked out, it was serious enough for the referee to stop play and for the medics and doctor to come on the field.

But you know best I suppose 😂

In the RFL Medical Standards loss of consciousness (or being 'knocked out') is a Category One symptom. What a Category One symptom means is that you don't get a HIA, you are automatically ruled out for the next 11 days, because you have shown such a clear sign of concussion.

If he was knocked out, he wouldn't have had a HIA and he certainly wouldn't have returned to the action 15 minutes later. 

Either he wasn't knocked out, in which case play should have carried on, especially given the doctor wasn't on at the point of stoppage, or he was knocked out, in which case he shouldn't have returned.

Edited by V02

12 hours ago, V02 said:

Which offside call would that be? Just seen highlights from SL Show, Hudds third try was clearly onside at the kick, and the offside call for the penalty to make it 18-12 looks fair enough to me.

Literally every RL media outlet i've seen online are banging on about these 'decisions' as if it's a huge major thing that's happened, ex-referees and coaches have already butted in saying there was nothing wrong with any of the tries and the match officials deemed the drop goal went over so that's that!.

The amount of media clickbait frenzy based on biased accounts from some bitter Leeds fans and their coach is ridiculous.

Headlines such as " 4 Refereeing calls that angered Leeds Rhinos", "footage has emerged online of Jake Connor drop goal as Sky sports exclude moment from highlights", "Explained! why official allowed Jake Connor drop goal", " A drop goal that didn't go over -Rohan Smith unhappy", "A try that was disallowed, another that wasn't and a penalty not given. Footage of further calls that have angered Leeds Rhinos has now emerged."

For god sake give it a rest, for a start the drop goal wasn't the deciding score in the game, we scored again after it, do Sky ever show drop goals in their highlights unless it'a match winner?

It's embarrassing from the Leeds coach, the Leeds fans and the RugbyLeague 'media'.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Literally every RL media outlet i've seen online are banging on about these 'decisions' as if it's a huge major thing that's happened, ex-referees and coaches have already butted in saying there was nothing wrong with any of the tries and the match officials deemed the drop goal went over so that's that!.

The amount of media clickbait frenzy based on biased accounts from some bitter Leeds fans and their coach is ridiculous.

Headlines such as " 4 Refereeing calls that angered Leeds Rhinos", "footage has emerged online of Jake Connor drop goal as Sky sports exclude moment from highlights", "Explained! why official allowed Jake Connor drop goal", " A drop goal that didn't go over -Rohan Smith unhappy", "A try that was disallowed, another that wasn't and a penalty not given. Footage of further calls that have angered Leeds Rhinos has now emerged."

For god sake give it a rest, for a start the drop goal wasn't the deciding score in the game, we scored again after it, do Sky ever show drop goals in their highlights unless it'a match winner?

It's embarrassing from the Leeds coach, the Leeds fans and the RugbyLeague 'media'.

I do actually totally agree that media have been way OTT on this, well its mainly Matt Shaw at Leeds Live I think.

There's actually not a lot of Leeds fans banging on about it on social media, most are saying we deserved to lose, which we did. At least it's not on the level that Salford and Saints fans have been going to a few times this season.

I don't think Rohan Smith was that bad, he didn't rant about the incidents he just gave his opinion, he certainly didn't blame the loss on them it certainly wasn't an Ian Watson level of moan 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daz39 said:

and the match officials deemed the drop goal went over so that's that!.

Your players didn't think it went over. Do you seriously not think the game plays out differently if it's a 20m tap with 7 tackle set rather than needing to try a short restart because it's a 7 point lead?

5 hours ago, phiggins said:

Which offside call would that be? Just seen highlights from SL Show, Hudds third try was clearly onside at the kick, and the offside call for the penalty to make it 18-12 looks fair enough to me.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/four-refereeing-calls-leeds-rhinos-27608974#google_vignette

Pics in this article here. Greenwood is 5m offside when he receives an offload from Walters. Should have been a Leeds set attacking Hudds tryline at 18-12 with all momentum with Leeds, instead that set finishes with Hudds dropping a goal that the Hudds players don't think went over. The offside in particular is horrendous levels of incompetence.

Also the disallowed Holroyd try where the ref actively overruled his touchies.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, V02 said:

Your players didn't think it went over. Do you seriously not think the game plays out differently if it's a 20m tap with 7 tackle set rather than needing to try a short restart because it's a 7 point lead?

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/four-refereeing-calls-leeds-rhinos-27608974#google_vignette

Pics in this article here. Greenwood is 5m offside when he receives an offload from Walters. Should have been a Leeds set attacking Hudds tryline at 18-12 with all momentum with Leeds, instead that set finishes with Hudds dropping a goal that the Hudds players don't think went over. The offside in particular is horrendous levels of incompetence.

Yeah that offside is a shocker, Smith mentioned this incident in his presser.

It's done and dusted now, unfortunately Marcus Griffiths is getting some pretty horrific abuse on twitter which is utterly unacceptable and abhorrent.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, V02 said:

Well for a start, I find that article a bizarre one for a journo to publish. The story is essentially "Losing coach whinges about the ref". Then goes onto list 4 specific incidents. I assume that no calls at all went in Leeds' favour. 

The offside one does look like a mistake from the referee, but it also looks like there was a Leeds player stood right next to Greenwood as he caught it, but was too busy appealing to the referee to make a tackle. Playing to the whistle is a fundamental thing that players need to get right. Rohan Smith can look closer to home when it comes to reasons for the defeat, and Shaw shouldn't be amplifying this nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yeah that offside is a shocker, Smith mentioned this incident in his presser.

It's done and dusted now, unfortunately Marcus Griffiths is getting some pretty horrific abuse on twitter which is utterly unacceptable and abhorrent.

As you said earlier a couple of still photos doesn’t tell us anything. If Greenwood was a square marker at the  previous PTB then it’s all good. 

7 hours ago, daz39 said:

To be fair Daz, the majority of Leeds fans I've seen are the only ones being level headed about it all, give or take the odd numpty but that's par for the course.

It's the media frenzy that I don't get, it's like every single media outlet has been told to report on the injustice of Huddersfield beating Leeds, as I've said in the other threads, I find it absolutely bizarre and weird!

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I do actually totally agree that media have been way OTT on this, well its mainly Matt Shaw at Leeds Live I think.

There's actually not a lot of Leeds fans banging on about it on social media, most are saying we deserved to lose, which we did. At least it's not on the level that Salford and Saints fans have been going to a few times this season.

I don't think Rohan Smith was that bad, he didn't rant about the incidents he just gave his opinion, he certainly didn't blame the loss on them it certainly wasn't an Ian Watson level of moan 😉

Smith made sure that people knew he wasn't happy with it, although I agree it wasn't a rant or anything just some throwaway comments he made in a press conference in the heat of the moment thing like lots of coaches do, but I do think has kicked off the storm by "journalists" desperate for a click bait headline.

The Watson one the other day was also weird as he was asked a question in a press conference about something that happened and it was then taken out of context and made into a headline that suggested Ian Watson had gone to the media whingeing, I suspect it's happened to other coaches too, everything they say is now turned into click bait headlines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, V02 said:

Let it go!

As I said previously, IF Huddersfield hadn't dropped the ball over the line twice and had another try disallowed or IF Huddersfield hadn't lost a man to the sin bin, the game could and probably should have been over by half time.

Even without the drop goal, the score is 18-12 with around 1m45 seconds to play, Leeds hadn't got anywhere near scoring in the 2nd half, do you really think they would have scored in 100 seconds from 80 metres away?

Straw clutching at its absolute finest, Huddersfield were better than Leeds, the End.

14 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

As you said earlier a couple of still photos doesn’t tell us anything. If Greenwood was a square marker at the  previous PTB then it’s all good. 

He wasn't, he was left on the floor...as the pictures show.

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Well for a start, I find that article a bizarre one for a journo to publish. The story is essentially "Losing coach whinges about the ref". Then goes onto list 4 specific incidents. I assume that no calls at all went in Leeds' favour. 

The offside one does look like a mistake from the referee, but it also looks like there was a Leeds player stood right next to Greenwood as he caught it, but was too busy appealing to the referee to make a tackle. Playing to the whistle is a fundamental thing that players need to get right. Rohan Smith can look closer to home when it comes to reasons for the defeat, and Shaw shouldn't be amplifying this nonsense.

Not one!

We didn't have 3 tries disallowed

We didn't have a man sin binned.

We didn't concede 6 set restarts, or give away 7 penalties.

Everything went our way, poor little Leeds got nothing.

16 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Nope i said a single frame shot doesn’t tell you anything. Greenwood was laying behind the ruck the previous ptb has nothing to do with it.

3 hours ago, V02 said:

No it’s not. That’s not horrendous levels of incompetence. It’s one minor mistake when there is clearly a lot going on. As others have pointed out why didn’t Leeds try tackling  Greenwood? Don’t you play to the whistle?

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

No it’s not. That’s not horrendous levels of incompetence. It’s one minor mistake when there is clearly a lot going on. As others have pointed out why didn’t Leeds try tackling  Greenwood? Don’t you play to the whistle?

I think they did tackle him

18 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

No argument from me on that one.

I’m sure you had nothing to say last year when Myler got a penalty and Hill sin binned that gave us the game, or when Greenwood got sent off against Saints 😉

I didn't turn it into a witch hunt.

By the way, I thought we should have won both those games, with or without dodgy decisions against us 😛 

2 minutes ago, meast said:

I didn't turn it into a witch hunt.

By the way, I thought we should have won both those games, with or without dodgy decisions against us 😛 

I don’t think tgeres a witch hunt in here, what’s happened on Twitter is abhorrent.

You didn’t deserve to win either of those matches because you didn’t score more points than the opposition 😉

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Nope, marginal knock ons and strips you can accept as general tough calls. One bloke offside by being left on the floor who can't get involved in the next play actually receiving the ball is unreally incompetent. The Leeds players did tackle him. That doesn't change the impact of a new set on the tryline Vs a turnover 40m out.

39 minutes ago, V02 said:

Nope, marginal knock ons and strips you can accept as general tough calls. One bloke offside by being left on the floor who can't get involved in the next play actually receiving the ball is unreally incompetent. The Leeds players did tackle him. That doesn't change the impact of a new set on the tryline Vs a turnover 40m out.

I look forward to your comments on some of the Leeds players’ actions if you think that was unreally incompetent as they were much much worse and significantly higher in number. 

On 28/08/2023 at 10:08, Chrispmartha said:

Didn’t hear much clapping when Newman went off for an HIA when he was taken high off the ball either.

Will Pryce was the one goading the Leeds fans, he was celebrating a knock on.

Hes got such a wake up call coming 🤡