Is this the greatest NRL season ever and possibly best season in 30-35 years?

Its certainly the best in terms of attendances and atmospheres at games. I think it shows what a difference a little bit of feelgood factor makes and how these things snowball. The introduction of the Dolphins added some variety and something fresh (take note SL). They then got off to a great start with some great crowds too which was the cherry on the cake. It also shows that many clubs have large fanbases, however latent, and the likes of Newcastle and NZ Warriors just need a decent team to pack the crowds in. The great crowds at the non Sydney teams and one city clubs should also be food for thought for the NRL when it comes to expanding the competition.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its certainly the best in terms of attendances and atmospheres at games. I think it shows what a difference a little bit of feelgood factor makes and how these things snowball. The introduction of the Dolphins added some variety and something fresh (take note SL). They then got off to a great start with some great crowds too which was the cherry on the cake. It also shows that many clubs have large fanbases, however latent, and the likes of Newcastle and NZ Warriors just need a decent team to pack the crowds in. The great crowds at the non Sydney teams and one city clubs should also be food for thought for the NRL when it comes to expanding the competition.

This.

the addition of the dolphins coupled with the warriors playing back home in New Zealand and the new Allianz stadium in Sydney has certainly created a feel good factor that has just snowballed.

• Like 1

It was one of the largest regular season crowds I’ve ever experienced at Canberra stadium. Heaps of fun.

We also have a couple of stand alone NRLW games coming up in the same stadium and I hope they also get a decent crowd. These were advertised in the stadium. The wheelchair team and their upcoming matches were promoted in the heaving merchandise store.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

To the women play before the men on matchday or different venues?

I know there's a few stand-alone games this year. I'm not sure exactly which ones though sorry.

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I asked this on another thread, but what is causing the general boom (beyond having a better team)?

Asking for a friend (the RFL/Super League PR dept).

New team, new stadium, warriors back home in New Zealand and post Covid lockdowns bump.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I asked this on another thread, but what is causing the general boom (beyond having a better team)?

Asking for a friend (the RFL/Super League PR dept).

I have no idea.

One thing I’ve noticed at the games over recent history, amongst other things, is more migrants at games. For example, South Asians wearing merch and speaking languages other than English, (probably Australian born) kids of African descent with their parents etc.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Copa said:

I have no idea.

One thing I’ve noticed at the games over recent history, amongst other things, is more migrants at games. For example, South Asians wearing merch and speaking languages other than English, (probably Australian born) kids of African descent with their parents etc.

That’s heartening to hear.

I wonder what might be causing that to happen?

Is the NRL reaching out or presenting itself differently to those parts of Australian society?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

New team, new stadium, warriors back home in New Zealand and post Covid lockdowns bump.

Cheers, yes I’ve heard about all that, but I’m wondering if across the board the NRL clubs have hit on a good promotional strategy beyond those factors (that could be copied on these shores where possible).

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

36 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cheers, yes I’ve heard about all that, but I’m wondering if across the board the NRL clubs have hit on a good promotional strategy beyond those factors (that could be copied on these shores where possible).

If you look at the difference between SL and NRL social media it's chalk and cheese. 

That's only one facet but a good example.

• Thanks 2

new rise.jpg

49 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Social media, tv coverage and great scheduling making games must see/attend fixtures.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pulga said:

If you look at the difference between SL and NRL social media it's chalk and cheese. 

That's only one facet but a good example.

They not only have their own TV channel*, but probably (gasp!) pay a department decent money to create online content from the footage. And upload it quickly, rather than a few days later.

*they even produce full pre- and post-match shows for Origin matches, which are shown exclusively live on a rival broadcaster's flagship channel.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, but what has changed this year is what I’m getting at?

All that has been in place for a while.

A bit of a revival in interest from Queensland, due to the debut of the Dolphins, the Cowboys improving after a couple of rather ordinary seasons and the Broncos looking like potential champs after a few absolutely disastrous seasons.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's also some absolute high profile exciting players coming through like Walsh and resurgence of Ponga some breathtaking scorers ZKW at the Warriors and most clubs have at least one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Most sports had a post Covid bounce. Rugby league in England is the outlier that didn't.

Looks like the NRL are having one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Everything as mentioned above with a little bit of luck thrown in like the form of Newcastle and the re-emergence of the broncos and warriors forming the perfect storm.

The NRL has always been a great product on the field as proven by the huge TV viewing figures leaving me to believe that people are just hungry for that live at the stadium experience post Covid lockdowns.

37 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

There's also some absolute high profile exciting players coming through like Walsh and resurgence of Ponga some breathtaking scorers ZKW at the Warriors and most clubs have at least one.

They sure do and way to many to name them all.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the weather has been to bad this season either?

38 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

They sure do and way to many to name them all.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the weather has been to bad this season either?

There have been a lot of matches played in absolute torrents. Thankfully, quite a lot of them have been very good games regardless.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There have been a lot of matches played in absolute torrents. Thankfully, quite a lot of them have been very good games regardless.

Even more impressive then.

Ive heard it said that a lot of Aussie fans can be quite literally fair weather fans when the heavens open.