Mark Sawyer

NickD

Was good to hear Finny thank Mark for giving him his big opportunity on Sunday evening as I reckon there’s a few too many that don’t appreciate what he does for the club and I certainly don’t think he gets anything like the credit he should. God knows where we would we be without him.  Running a club like Dewsbury must cost him dear.  We are hardly moneybags Utd and I suspect we can’t even guess the amounts of brass he’s put in over the years.   He also runs a steady ship and has made sure that we are prudently managed.  I know some would prefer a  Derek Beaumont type character topping up our coffers and spending big but the chances of us getting someone like that at Dewsbury are remote at best.  I’d like to say a big thank you and pray he stays around for many a year to come. If he doesn’t it’s bye bye Rams. 

• Like 8

Spot on Nick!

Mark will have lost a considerable amount of money this season, yet we still hear the "no ambition!" comments on Facebook etc. If anyone has the cash to invest in Dewsbury, I am sure Mark would love to hear from them.

• Like 3

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Only Mark and close allies will know what keeps him motivated. He is the best available at this time until some other perspective investor comes along. Personally I think he does a medium to good job. My personal request is this - Mark we currently have a good, young, enthusiastic and together squad. If at all possible can you, the sponsors and the support groups please try your best to stretch things at least 10 - 15% more for the forthcoming season. Not expecting miracles but at least provide the club with a fighting chance! I know that the general squad love it here but can you match their aspirations?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Only Mark and close allies will know what keeps him motivated. He is the best available at this time until some other perspective investor comes along. Personally I think he does a medium to good job. My personal request is this - Mark we currently have a good, young, enthusiastic and together squad. If at all possible can you, the sponsors and the support groups please try your best to stretch things at least 10 - 15% more for the forthcoming season. Not expecting miracles but at least provide the club with a fighting chance! I know that the general squad love it here but can you match their aspirations?

I think it’s probably all the thanks and wild praise he gets that keeps him motivated.  Bet he’s desperate to win the lottery though so people will finally appreciate his efforts 😗

• Like 3

Mark Sawyer has steered the club very well for 20 years and guess it has cost him many hundreds of thousands over that time.

You don't "invest" in a club, you donate to it with no prospect of getting any money back.

He has the option of trying to

1. subsidise the club enough to stay up in the Championship 

2. Spend many tens of thousands more to be a mid-table team with an outside chance of play-offs

3. Spend many hundreds of thousands to go for a promotion to SL which would not be allowed. 

"Ambition" is very expensive if you're paying for it.

But rather than complain, you could join the club's lottery, join Squadbuilder, park in the club car park, drink in club bars, buy a half-time draw ticket, every bit helps.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 7

Great post... Squad-builder worked really well with Liam last season, which ensured great value to both the club and squad-builder members.... I hope the new coach will be as professional as Liam was in investing squad-builders funds!!... Although, I really wish Mark would be more progressive in his thinking!! Securing Greensmith, Restall, Butterworth and Beckett now!!! ... is a no loss scenario!! Even if the new coach didn't fancy them they would have sell on value!! I respect Mark, he keeps the club alive... we the fans can help to get it kicking!!..... Alive and Kicking!!  .. good song that!!

Edited by the old nine ole
  • Like 5

On 02/09/2023 at 13:35, Lupset Ram said:

Has big Mark got family members that he'll hand his crown over to, so keeping a succession process in place?

A very good question to ask, not sure if anyone else in Mark's family is interested in Dewsbury. As an investment, it's not a good one.

However, I was told last night that someone squared up to Mark (a so called fan) at the awards night and gave him some abuse, if this is true his family might not be so keen to get involved! If ever! 

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

2 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

A very good question to ask, not sure if anyone else in Mark's family is interested in Dewsbury. As an investment, it's not a good one.

However, I was told last night that someone squared up to Mark (a so called fan) at the awards night and gave him some abuse, if this is true his family might not be so keen to get involved! If ever! 

Suspect that's true.   He was sat fairly close to us at the Presentation evening and looked a tad out of sorts.   Hope the person squaring up has pondered what would happen if Mark voted with his feet and walked away?  I suspect it would be bye bye Dewsbury Rams....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

Heard about this,happened after I left but I could see it coming. A family member of one of our players had to have a word in someone’s ear about their behaviour earlier in the evening as well.

• Like 1

IF someone did 'square up' to MS, then they seriously need their bumps feeling ............ Probably booze-induced and not worthy of any real consideration, but it does make you wonder just what on earth goes through some people's (one cell) minds ........ Always easier to criticise than construct

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Therein73 said:

IF someone did 'square up' to MS, then they seriously need their bumps feeling ............ Probably booze-induced and not worthy of any real consideration, but it does make you wonder just what on earth goes through some people's (one cell) minds ........ Always easier to criticise than construct

The individual has been dealt with by the club. 

• Like 4

Lines or made to litter pick?

• Haha 1

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

On 05/09/2023 at 18:05, Hugh Jarce said:

Being Dewsbury Chairman is not an investment, it's an extremely expensive part time job.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Being Dewsbury Chairman is not an investment, it's an extremely expensive part time job.

To listen to some of our fans,Mark is a multi millionaire who live in a mansion in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. I reckon this season will have cost Mark and the club over 100k with all the travelling,overnight stay in Cornwall etc,no begging buckets,go fund me page,nothing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

To listen to some of our fans,Mark is a multi millionaire who live in a mansion in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. I reckon this season will have cost Mark and the club over 100k with all the travelling,overnight stay in Cornwall etc,no begging buckets,go fund me page,nothing. 

Not forgetting the other directors, of course.

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think the CLUB STATEMENT on the website makes their position absolutely clear ....... as always, it's the unsilent minority causing the problems, apparently.

What a shame that, at the end of such an excellent season, the Club (and MS) are faced with this ...........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Yes sorry.

I am not one, before anyone gets any ideas. Short arms and deep pockets, me.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.