Sunday 10th Sept: L1 Semi Final: Oldham V North Wales: KO 3.00pm, Boundary Park, Oldham

jroyales

23 minutes ago, Jackie61 said:

Just been stated on BBC Radio Manchester 75% of the team will be leaving. Says it all

What Fordy said,in the post match interview,  was that it's usual to have a 20% turnover of players in a season. We have 75% and that we only had one player on a two year contract when he took over. We're making some top quality signings, and has already been posted some players have already signed for other teams, Widnes and hornets to name but two. Also Fordy has already stated that we'll have a championship quality squad for next year, no matter the division we're in.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rob95 said:

Don't really need to add much, yes shout hindsight if you want but Ellis clearly wasn't fit. We should have had Slater on the bench, when  Wilky went off injured we were left with Riddy as our only half and Paga having to play 9. 

Well done Crusaders, good luck next week. But yes those 2 tries should not have been ruled out 

You had TV slo-mo; neither the ref or touch judge did. On the full speed play, at first sight, I thought that both decisions were correct. On frame-by-frame I thought that Ah Van's might have been allowed, possibly.

NWC seemed to have a better spirit throughout - a good watch for the neutral.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

What Fordy said,in the post match interview,  was that it's usual to have a 20% turnover of players in a season. We have 75% and that we only had one player on a two year contract when he took over. We're making some top quality signings, and has already been posted some players have already signed for other teams, Widnes and hornets to name but two. Also Fordy has already stated that we'll have a championship quality squad for next year, no matter the division we're in.

Hope he is right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

........no matter the division we're in.

Well.

Sadly we now know exactly which Division we'll be in next year.

Just on the game, we let the bizarre decisions on the field knock us off our game. I have looked quickly at the you tube footage on my phone. From that it looks like three very bad decisions to disallow the three tries. I am going to watch the full match later. 
On the dismissals, you could see this happening. The whole passage of play started with the offence by NW no 6. He ran away thinking he had got away it. It should have been a yellow. After the restart he reacted because he had been tackled by Paga. He reacted and caused  a melee. Baker was correctly sent  off. So was their 6. But the penalty should have gone to Oldham not NW. 

I am sure when I watch it back later more will be clear   

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 1

Ellis going off was the turning point at 20 mins. Before that we looked organised in defence and attack. Officials were a disaster, say no more.

Unfortunately, this group of players have underperformed this season. They’ve shown promise at times and some quality too but whilst they mightve won today and even sneaked past hunslet, Doncaster look a long better.

lots to look forward to. Let’s hope players we’re speaking too are still up for “the project” !

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Happyed said:

Ellis going off was the turning point at 20 mins. Before that we looked organised in defence and attack. Officials were a disaster, say no more.

Unfortunately, this group of players have underperformed this season. They’ve shown promise at times and some quality too but whilst they mightve won today and even sneaked past hunslet, Doncaster look a long better.

lots to look forward to. Let’s hope players we’re speaking too are still up for “the project” !

Agree on Ellis, certainly changed our game. 

You are being very generous to the officials. Going forward the RFL need to invest in the training of these guys. Fordy said in his interview the referee wouldn’t communicate with the players.

Looking back over the season we have had a few games where we played poor and came away with a win. The squad was put together on a shoestring by the previous owner and in the end it showed. 

Next year will be much different. 

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Agree on Ellis, certainly changed our game. 

You are being very generous to the officials. Going forward the RFL need to invest in the training of these guys. Fordy said in his interview the referee wouldn’t communicate with the players.

Looking back over the season we have had a few games where we played poor and came away with a win. The squad was put together on a shoestring by the previous owner and in the end it showed. 

Next year will be much different. 

McNally more than made up for this - he never stopped "communicating" with the referee.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Rob95 said:

Don't really need to add much, yes shout hindsight if you want but Ellis clearly wasn't fit. We should have had Slater on the bench, when  Wilky went off injured we were left with Riddy as our only half and Paga having to play 9. 

Well done Crusaders, good luck next week. But yes those 2 tries should not have been ruled out 

We seem to fall to pieces when Ellis and Wilkinson went off injured I think it was 12-0 up. 

slater should of been on the bench over Paga, he probably cost us the game with the incident at the end and again seem to be playing for himself continually going alone  at the wrong times or when the pass was a better option. Wonder what happened to him since the ban?

Looking forward to the direction which the club is going in next year, but serious questions need to be asked of what as gone on in the last 3 games and since littler left ? Been nothing short of a debacle. 

over to you Ford, everyone in Oldham backs you 

• Like 3

I agree that we should have been given three tries. Ah Van looked ok yo me. The two so called obstructions for me were poor decisions. At 12-0 it felt that if we’d gone to 18 we’d have won. But we showed very little composure when they pulled it back. Baker earned a straight red for head butting, undeniably. If Paga hadn’t behaved idiotically on the first place Baker wouldn’t have been anywhere near. Our tight sided attack was poor. Our forwards worked hard. Ridyard created much, but near their line we actually posed little threat, both tries coming from Cru errors. Hirst was disappointing. He often loses metres when tackling. My biggest disappointment again was Paga, who might do something amazing in one out of every few games but white frankly isn’t a team player. Cru were more together. Can’t knock Oldham’s effort, it just felt like a team grinding to the end of a disappointingly underwhelming underperforming season. I dont ever like Oldham losing but I’m not sorry that we’re avoiding Hunslet and Donny. They’d paste us. Well done Crusaders. You ground it out well. Here’s to next season 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

I have said all along that the coach must be in place for all these signings and back room staff to be in place?

I understand your logic and maybe the coach is already in place but can't be announced yet. However, I'm not sure it necessarily always works like that. If you are going to attract very good players to drop down two levels, there needs to be something other than just money to attract them. Perhaps the opportunity to get on the coaching ladder is something that allowed us to secure Turner and Wardle over other offers that would have had. If not already appointed, I'm guessing that the end of the season will see the movement of coaches. Recruitment of players can't wait until then as they'd already be snapped up though. 

12 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

If a referee is acting mute and refused to discuss with the players, it shows either a high amount of disrespect or self arrogance or both, neither of which are healthy for the sport. 

Your players weren't trying to "discuss" anything, they were nagging and berating him on every occasion. Take off the blinkers - he didn't lose the game for you.

The penalty against Paga was correct and he was lucky not to get a yellow. If you don't understand why then you haven't been keeping up with RFL directives over the last couple of years. Without this childish gesture you would have had head and feed at the scrum, instead you conceded a penalty.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

I agree that we should have been given three tries. Ah Van looked ok yo me. The two so called obstructions for me were poor decisions. At 12-0 it felt that if we’d gone to 18 we’d have won. But we showed very little composure when they pulled it back. Baker earned a straight red for head butting, undeniably. If Paga hadn’t behaved idiotically on the first place Baker wouldn’t have been anywhere near. Our tight sided attack was poor. Our forwards worked hard. Ridyard created much, but near their line we actually posed little threat, both tries coming from Cru errors. Hirst was disappointing. He often loses metres when tackling. My biggest disappointment again was Paga, who might do something amazing in one out of every few games but white frankly isn’t a team player. Cru were more together. Can’t knock Oldham’s effort, it just felt like a team grinding to the end of a disappointingly underwhelming underperforming season. I dont ever like Oldham losing but I’m not sorry that we’re avoiding Hunslet and Donny. They’d paste us. Well done Crusaders. You ground it out well. Here’s to next season 

Fair comments, although would you have awarded all three tries in real time or on the basis of replays? The officials only got one chance.

I have no skin in this game. Hunslet should beat NWC and, I expect, lose to Doncaster in the final.

I think last week's sin binning of pat ah van and yesterday's three disallowed tries shows the need for a video ref. Did ah van ground the ball before his foot touched the line? Was there an obstruction, from the TV it looked like there wasn't and did ,can't remember if it was McNally or Paga, ground the ball or was he held up? I've seen all the given in the past. 

1 hour ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I understand your logic and maybe the coach is already in place but can't be announced yet. However, I'm not sure it necessarily always works like that. If you are going to attract very good players to drop down two levels, there needs to be something other than just money to attract them. Perhaps the opportunity to get on the coaching ladder is something that allowed us to secure Turner and Wardle over other offers that would have had. If not already appointed, I'm guessing that the end of the season will see the movement of coaches. Recruitment of players can't wait until then as they'd already be snapped up though. 

Mike Ford said on his interview on Radio Manchester that the coaching opportunity was what attracted them