Our approach next season

gilbert08

Hi all new to the forum here hope everyone is good & well big barrow raiders fan. 

Assuming obviously cannot say 100% yet with the season still on going that we stay in the championship next season. 

what kind of approach do you think we will take in terms of signing / resigning players assume we will have a slightly reduced budget.

do you think we will still look to recruit out of town players or will we stick with predominantly local based players ? 

Off the pitch do you think there is anything better the club could do to increase the revenue budget & attendences for next season?  

• Like 2

Welcome Gilbert,here’s hoping we will be in the Championship🤞🏻

I think the club alluded to a duel reg with Wigan next season,sure I read or heard that somewhere.

Always nice to see and support local lads in the team and hopefully some of the lads who have played through the Furness Raiders set up step up.

I would also like to see some quality additions from Australia if affordable.

Regards finances,it is always going to be difficult with the ground falling apart,to be fair BAFC seem to be doing a great job with their Raise the roofs funding.I think they got about 850 members in their 1901 club at £25 a year👍🏻

Hoping the new lottery takes off and people keep supporting events where they can,we are lucky to have a lot of good sponsors by the look of it also.

• Like 1

I think the club will first and foremost look to retain all local lads particularly Ellis,Charlie,Wilko,rio,Cressy etc alongside ones already retained, personally think there'll be less travelling players bar Josh wood and Danny langtree , hopefully tie jack wells to another deal ,be surprised if likes of Ben Evans,Jarrod sammut Greg Burke are still at the club , brooks reportedly already gone for 24,possible dual reg with Wigan that could perceivably see makin return ,rumours about that tom walker will return alongside possibly James Newton(another rumour) , ultimately alot will revolve around which division next season ,think last season and partly this has shown the local lads are more than capable at this level ,just need to shed the hefty wages that have had a poor return and invest shrewdly 

Edited by ghost of uncle fester
  • Like 1

The recent addition of local lads over the last 12/18 months will have matured a bit & got to grips with this league & a few have thrived, So with a few wise choices we should have in this team to go better next term with a bit of luck on  injuries & form 

Edited by mickmike wilson
  • Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 15:34, ghost of uncle fester said:

I think the club will first and foremost look to retain all local lads particularly Ellis,Charlie,Wilko,rio,Cressy etc alongside ones already retained, personally think there'll be less travelling players bar Josh wood and Danny langtree , hopefully tie jack wells to another deal ,be surprised if likes of Ben Evans,Jarrod sammut Greg Burke are still at the club , brooks reportedly already gone for 24,possible dual reg with Wigan that could perceivably see makin return ,rumours about that tom walker will return alongside possibly James Newton(another rumour) , ultimately alot will revolve around which division next season ,think last season and partly this has shown the local lads are more than capable at this level ,just need to shed the hefty wages that have had a poor return and invest shrewdly 

Burke and Evans signed 2 year deals when they joined this season

• Like 1

Burke has got better and better the fitter he's got he is a top end championship prop and we are starting to see that. Evans hasn't quite had the season we hoped however he is generally solid and far better option than brooks. Happy for both to stay finding props isn't easy if we can keep Gilliam, get Dan Total fit again and bring in a couple of decent young props like makin we would have a handy front row. 

I would keep:

Broadbent, Cresswell, S.Toal, R.Shaw, B. Carter, Bulman, Corkill, Johnston, Archer, Burke, Evans, Gillam, D.Toal, Wood, Langtree, Stack, Emeslie, Wilkinson

Would let go;

Worthington, Wells, Sammut, Jackson (call him back if required let him do the pre-season), brand, Saunders (call him back if required). Dawson, Duerden & Hopkins already gone from last year's squad list.  

Means the main areas your strengthening are at 6, 9, centre and prop. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raider91 said:

Burke has got better and better the fitter he's got he is a top end championship prop and we are starting to see that. Evans hasn't quite had the season we hoped however he is generally solid and far better option than brooks. Happy for both to stay finding props isn't easy if we can keep Gilliam, get Dan Total fit again and bring in a couple of decent young props like makin we would have a handy front row. 

I would keep:

Broadbent, Cresswell, S.Toal, R.Shaw, B. Carter, Bulman, Corkill, Johnston, Archer, Burke, Evans, Gillam, D.Toal, Wood, Langtree, Stack, Emeslie, Wilkinson

Would let go;

Worthington, Wells, Sammut, Jackson (call him back if required let him do the pre-season), brand, Saunders (call him back if required). Dawson, Duerden & Hopkins already gone from last year's squad list.  

I’d definitely keep Jack Wells. Brett Carter puts the effort in you can’t knock him for that but I’m not sure he’s up to standard anymore. Would also see if Workington/a League One club would be interested in taking Ellis Archer on loan to get a bit more experience. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raider91 said:

I would keep:

Would let go;

You must be clueless if you don’t want to keep Jack wells!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Raider91 said:

I would keep:

Would let go;

There's no chance a player you "let go" would come back " if required " you either think they're good enough or they aren't surely?

• Like 2

Don’t know why Barrow signed Saunders, they knew exactly what they were getting, decent distribution and rapid out of dummy half, not the best defender but that will improve with game time. Wasn’t even 18th man on Sunday. I’m surprised he’s hung around so long. 

I think Emslies improvement this year has gone completely under the radar. In defence he physically stands up very well and puts everything into tackles. He used to do the latter but sometimes struggle size wise but quite often this season he puts the tackle in off kick off usually against a prop and makes very good contact. 

• Like 2

On 12/09/2023 at 20:20, Rod77 said:

You must be clueless if you don’t want to keep Jack wells!

I totally agree Jack is a quality forward shame he got injured

• Like 1

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Evan has signed I believe although I would have easily let him go

Burke has been bang average infact a few games he carried the ball no more than 6 times

Barrow need to tie down Corkill & Archer otherwise Workington or Whitehaven take them & give them far more game time they are sniffing round them 

Sammutt will be gone, Archer & Johnston all day everyday in there for me

Wigan dual is happening 

Worthington has been in the centres but decent in the pack?? Work that one out

Bullman has now found his feet

Broady & Cressy has been intresting & will be the same next season unless Luke plays at 3 or 4?

Ellis if fit would have been snapped up imo, vlass act that lad & Charlie should have started way before out of town 🤡 

Langtree is quality  

Win tomorrow & re-group early signing a few up the coast lads, locals instead of Burke, Evans, Sammutt, Worthington, Brooks.

• Like 2