Fri 15th Sept: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/09/23 at 19:30

13 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I agree with most of what you have said but there is no improvement in this team. These lads are giving 100% there is nowhere else to go I’m genuinely amazed they will go into the final week with a chance at the league leaders. They will give it all but won’t have enough to win the GF this year but none of the players efforts can be questioned. 

I'm not as downbeat as you are on their chances.

This weekend marks the last of the sun and we are about to enter the wet, attritional play off rugby.  Saints style suits this perfectly.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This weekend marks the last of the sun and we are about to enter the wet, attritional play off rugby.  Saints style suits this perfectly.

My problem is they’ve effectively been playing play off intensity rugby since the Semi with Leigh. I’m not sure they’ve got anywhere else to go. I think once they meet a Wigan,Catalan(if they regain their form) or Leigh in they play offs they will come up short. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I tend to agree with this. Saints do know how to score, even if they don't have the vintage attack of yesteryear. As long as they can defend well and stay in games, they have a chance. We've also seen that Catalans and Wigan have weaknesses. 

I wouldn't bet against them tbh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I tend to agree with this. Saints do know how to score, even if they don't have the vintage attack of yesteryear. As long as they can defend well and stay in games, they have a chance. We've also seen that Catalans and Wigan have weaknesses. 

I wouldn't bet against them tbh. 

I hope you two are right and I’m wrong. 

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

On the face of it that looks harsh, but we want consistency and that is the punishment for lifting a player that could potentially be injured and Vaughn should know that

I get that, but still think it’s incredibly harsh. Matautia is clearly time wasting rather than being injured. Not saying there shouldn’t be a charge, but a grade E for that contact feels excessive 

16 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I get that, but still think it’s incredibly harsh. Matautia is clearly time wasting rather than being injured. Not saying there shouldn’t be a charge, but a grade E for that contact feels excessive 

It's consistent though which is what we want isn't it?

Vaughn didn't know if he was injured or not, it's not up to him to make that call

• Like 2

If that's a ban, that might well be me done.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

OK so when a player goes down on their haunches at the end of a game they've lost, we should ban any players who give them a hand up. Sounds like the sort of brain dead consistency people are after. Matautia is making no claim to be injured in that video.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

OK so when a player goes down on their haunches at the end of a game they've lost, we should ban any players who give them a hand up. Sounds like the sort of brain dead consistency people are after. Matautia is making no claim to be injured in that video.

It’s not up to Vaughn to decide if he’s injured or not, your example is ridiculous because that isn’t what happened.

• Like 1

A defence that Vaughan may have, and it'll be interesting to see how this goes is that does differ from some of the other examples we've seen here in that Matautia isn't staying down, he's actually getting up, just very slowly. We can see him lifting himself up before Vaughan lays hands on him, so there is an argument that he isn't liftibg a prone player, he is lifting a player moving slowly. 

In principle I'm OK with bans for lifting injured players, but this is quite different to some previous ones, so I'm interested to see how it goes at hearing. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

A defence that Vaughan may have, and it'll be interesting to see how this goes is that does differ from some of the other examples we've seen here in that Matautia isn't staying down, he's actually getting up, just very slowly. We can see him lifting himself up before Vaughan lays hands on him, so there is an argument that he isn't liftibg a prone player, he is lifting a player moving slowly. 

In principle I'm OK with bans for lifting injured players, but this is quite different to some previous ones, so I'm interested to see how it goes at hearing. 

Him getting up doesn’t mean he isn’t injured.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Him getting up doesn’t mean he isn’t injured.

We've only ever seen bans for somebody lifting a player lay injured. 

This is where the Saints player was when Vaughan grabbed him. He was getting up off his own steam. 

Screenshot_20230918_182601_com.twitter.android_edit_11147683796736(1).jpg.1d61f487486a0641f9c614412eb35ea3.jpg

I have no issues with bans for these offences tbh, but if he is banned, I think it'll be at the lower end, and I do think he has a far more defendable position than other players where they have lay down injured. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Tackling a player is legal, lifting a player who may be injured isn’t.

He got to his feet by himself, Vaughan didn't lift him. There is a massive difference between pulling up a prone player on the ground(whether you think they're faking or not)and what Vaughan did.

2 minutes ago, Moe syszlak said:

He got to his feet by himself, Vaughan didn't lift him. There is a massive difference between pulling up a prone player on the ground(whether you think they're faking or not)and what Vaughan did.

He didn’t he was starting to get up and Vaughn lifted him, it will be interesting to see how it plays out i can  see the appeal being successful 

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We've only ever seen bans for somebody lifting a player lay injured. 

This is where the Saints player was when Vaughan grabbed him. He was getting up off his own steam. 

Screenshot_20230918_182601_com.twitter.android_edit_11147683796736(1).jpg.1d61f487486a0641f9c614412eb35ea3.jpg

I have no issues with bans for these offences tbh, but if he is banned, I think it'll be at the lower end, and I do think he has a far more defendable position than other players where they have lay down injured. 

Not a lot in that for me.  Yes, a bit daft/naive but it is nor a prone player and I don't think it should be treated too harshly. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris