Featherstone Rovers 2024 Squad

marklaspalmas

7 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

No idea mate, just think that it’s time for a new era and a younger team. 

Just don't get some of the comments about Briscoe.  I don't imagine he's one of the higher earners ? - I may be wrong.  But imo still one of the the best metre-eaters / finishers at this level.  Always gives 100%.  Local lad etc.   Plus I don't get the age thing.  We've already seen 6 ? 30+ players leave.  He is still only 29.  There's a shed load of wingers that were still playing in SL last year that are older than Luke.  (McGillvary / Cudjoe, T. Briscoe, Eden, Charnley, R Hall, Makinson, Swift, Lineham etc) 

Anyway he'll come back to haunt us 😉

I guess the notion that FEV are going bust will soon rear it's ugly head again at the mo all were are hearing is players who played for a team that finished top finishing 12 points clear are leaving which must mean FEV have no money to spend IF they had they would all have stayed:kolobok_grin::kolobok_grin::kolobok_grin:

• Like 1

After feeling quite optimistic last week I can’t help feeling deflated this week 

players leaving without clubs announcement is amateur at best, think the club needs to come out an outline out plans going forward or just announce some sort of on field gains rather than comedians and fireworks 

• Like 1

I'm quite relaxed about the non-retentions. This current core of players have shown that despite being the best bunch of players in the league, they can't handle pressure or perform when it counts. Not just both semi finals, but the Toulouse game at home for example, or both Halifax defeats. Clear out, start again, play the IMG game, instead of buying a glamorous player, buy some LED signs, upgrade the floodlights, stick a roof on the terrace. This is rugby league now.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I'm quite relaxed about the non-retentions. This current core of players have shown that despite being the best bunch of players in the league, they can't handle pressure or perform when it counts. Not just both semi finals, but the Toulouse game at home for example, or both Halifax defeats. Clear out, start again, play the IMG game, instead of buying a glamorous player, buy some LED signs, upgrade the floodlights, stick a roof on the terrace. This is rugby league now.

Plus having a team of older players doesn’t seem to work, ok in the regular season, but nothing in the playoffs. If possible I like a younger hungry group of players, maybe not as good as the other teams on paper, which would also mean less expectations and pressure. We’ve got a bit of quality already signed up, so should be ok.

• Like 2

I'm trying to think of all possible permutations behind the current situation.

One is that for some of our players with full-time jobs who wouldn't have been able to/didn't want to go full time if we got promoted, we may have already sourced replacements a while ago and didn't have wiggle room in the budget to offer them contracts in the Championship.

Another perhaps more likely scenario is that we're simply going to be outbid for some players. Cozza is presumably an example of that. Wakefield have a new sugar daddy owner who has already stated he will spend more than Fev did last year and it shouldn't be a surprise if they are willing to outbid us for some players, especially as they are remaining full time. I think we have probably made a lot of players offers, some have accepted them and for others their agents understandably will have been looking to see if they can get more elsewhere.  I quite liked Cozza but I'm not sure I would have got into a bidding war for him.

The only thing I'm really disappointed with is that we didn't announce Cozza's departure ourselves (and Davies too, though JD announced it himself rather than another club announcing his signing).

Again, we need to see where we are as a squad in late January. We all remember 2019 when we had 9 players at our first training session and played a pre-season fixture at Cas with about 5 regular players, Ryan Bailey and Jordan Tansey on trial  🤢 and a bunch of lads we'd signed from the lower reaches of the Yorkshire Men's League. We ended up in the Grand Final that year!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Hard to think that he’s going to be getting that many other offers, and especially not in SL, unless London are desperate.

Similarly with their other reject Eden who's 33 in NOV