Fri 22nd Sept: SL: Leigh Leopards v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/09/23 at 19:30

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Please get rid of the refs making the call. Send it up to the VR without bias. 

The Wigan man impeded. French was still in Orrell ! 😥

Like in nrl the ref should give the try and let the bunker decide,until we get past this refs leani6towards the bigger club the game will never progress in this country. 

Just now, PEANUT HEAD said:

Like in nrl the ref should give the try and let the bunker decide,until we get past this refs leani6towards the bigger club the game will never progress in this country. 

It was a bad bad call. 

Ref just influenced because one of SL best players had a whinge and got it badly wrong. 

He was nowhere near play. 

To be honest, I wasn’t bothered about Wigans no try, but play had stopped and the Wigan player had stopped the lead tackler. When I played it was tough crack !!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

What’s this about Beumont not allowing Lamb to do an interview? Did he throw his Leopard stuffed toys out of the pram or something?

Does it matter ? The only person who thought it wasn’t a try was the ref. Why should Lammy be asked the same question live on TV ?

It must hurt. Apparently, he did all the post interviews on Radio. 

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

What’s this about Beumont not allowing Lamb to do an interview? Did he throw his Leopard stuffed toys out of the pram or something?

No just protecting his coach who was very unhappy with the decisions which is unlike Lam, just watched that try again which happend in front of me and can't believe the decision got disallowed for the wigan player being obstructed by is own player.

1 minute ago, Snowys Backside said:

Does it matter ? The only person who thought it wasn’t a try was the ref. Why should Lammy be asked the same question live on TV ?

I don’t know what happened that’s why i asked, ive not watched the game yet.

Lams the head coach im sure he can handle a question or two

1 minute ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

No just protecting his coach who was very unhappy with the decisions which is unlike Lam, just watched that try again which happend in front of me and can't believe the decision got disallowed for the wigan player being obstructed by is own player.

Protecting the coach? What is he his handler?

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Protecting the coach? What is he his handler?

I get where you are coming from but when you watch it you will see what a pathetic call it is. 

Don’t get me wrong, may still have no bearing on the game but we had two very dodgy calls straight after that. Not good, so it’s better to do nothing and say nothing rather than emotions make you look foolish. 

As a result, I don’t think Moore did himself any favours. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I get where you are coming from but when you watch it you will see what a pathetic call it is. 

Don’t get me wrong, may still have no bearing on the game but we had two very dodgy calls straight after that. Not good, so it’s better to do nothing and say nothing rather than emotions make you look foolish. 

As a result, I don’t think Moore did himself any favours. 

What has a dodgy call got to do with it? They happen all the time, all he had to say if he didn’t want to answer it is say im not going to go into it at this point, not sure why the ceo should be stepping in to stop an interview.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I’ve watched it now, no different to the field ‘no try’.

they were both trys IMO

It’s massively different according to the rules, the Wigan player hit the outside shoulder impeding the defender, the leigh player hit the inside shoulder which caused a bad defensive read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The reason Lam didn’t do the interview was because Sky asked him to wait around until the very end after Wigan had received the trophy which is not normally the case, Lam had told them he wants to get into the changing rooms to the team and wanted to pre record it like normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have not commented on the decision to not award Leigh the try because of an alleged Obstruction, I was stood in an advantageous position to have a good view of the lead up play so when the ref initially crossed his chest for no try I honestly thought he was checking the grounding, I will say no more, but I am looking forward to watching the playback to see If the majority of views from supporters of many clubs and the comments of the broadcast panel I have seen reported carry any substance.

But, what I will say is that I don't think the RFL do themselves any favours in choosing who officiate on any game. When there is a panel of officials available why appoint a referee who is born and bred and still lives in the town of one of the competing teams, if the RFL considers that the panel of refs is not of sufficient quality to appoint any of its ref's especially one with no connection to either club then that to me is admittance from them that our panel of refs is somewhat wanting.

Does it happen in other high profile sports, honest question.

• Like 1

Very very well explained Harry..I think your rationale is explained perfectly. I am in Jersey at present so rely on measured posts from people like yourself. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Grades range from A-E by the looks of it. Stupid from French. Very stupid. 

Must say I didn't see this at the game.

Ooh you are in bother Bevan, a few years ago any contact with the ref was hit with sinbinnings and suspensions this was as bad as any of those.

If there is any consistency Bevan  should be able to take an extended holiday back home to Aus his season here should be very over and done with, if Paul Vaughan received 4 games for a very innocuous but 'purposeful action' on an opponent then French in contacting the ref should be equal if not more.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

I’m not sure I get that does he think Sky are the VR. 

I didn't watch the game due to a prior commitment.

But I did just want to say that Leigh has, without a shadow of a doubt, been the Team of the Year.

They've played entertaining rugby whenever I've seen them on Sky, with some genius marketing from Derek Beaumont (who I have changed my opinion about) and there's still the opportunity for them to go on a run to the GF

I'm rooting for the Leopards in the Play offs.

Also delighted for the likes of Harry and the other Leigh people on here who have taken some stick over the past few years from other forum posters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, binosh said:

The reason Lam didn’t do the interview was because Sky asked him to wait around until the very end after Wigan had received the trophy which is not normally the case, Lam had told them he wants to get into the changing rooms to the team and wanted to pre record it like normal.

If that’s the reason I get it and probably a bit naughty from Sky to make out he snubbed them. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

If that’s the reason I get it and probably a bit naughty from Sky to make out he snubbed them. 

I put local radio on in the car when I left the ground Bob, and they kept saying everyone is waiting including the RFL officials to present the LLS because Liam Farrell still doing interviews with Sky it took that long.

That was the sort of game I was hoping for from a Wigan perspective. We've had it a bit easy in recent weeks and it's not a reflection of what playoff games are usually like. Last night was much closer to what we would expect for a semi-final and I think it highlighted some areas we need to work on, which is massively important at this time of year.

I thought both teams showed their strengths in different areas. For me the Leigh pack was much stronger overall. I don't think our front row was as dominant as it has been in previous games and Amone and Mulhern were head and shoulders above our middle players. I thought tactically we got it right and played to our strengths. Smith and French put in some outstanding kicks even if they were kept quiet through our inability to dominate down the middle of the field.

As for the ruled out tries, in an ideal world both would be given. For the Wigan try Lam initiates contact as Nsemba goes through and is playing for the obstruction call. He trails an arm to make it seem more obvious but for me if the defender initiates contact it should be play on. For the Leigh try I do have some sympathy for the video ref. The call basically hinges on whether O'Donnell runs at French's chest or the outside shoulder (regardless of how much contact there is) and arguably he runs at the left side of the chest and the outside shoulder. He's directly in the path of French and O'Brien when contact is made. The referee's on field call of no try means he probably got that right in terms of evidence to overturn, but everyone who loves the games knows French isn't significantly impeded by the contact and it should be a try. People shouldn't be too critical of the video ref, it's the on field call that causes most of these problems.

Also, since the season proper is now over, well done Leigh on an incredible year. Team of the year and Lam is coach of the year without a shadow of a doubt. For all the mockery of the Leopard print (no, it will never not look tacky) the rebrand and the building of a strong squad has been a success.

Edited by EagleEyePie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Must say I didn't see this at the game.

Ooh you are in bother Bevan, a few years ago any contact with the ref was hit with sinbinnings and suspensions this was as bad as any of those.

If there is any consistency Bevan  should be able to take an extended holiday back home to Aus his season here should very over and done with, if Paul Vaughan received 4 games for a very innocuous but 'purposeful action' on an opponent then French in contacting the ref should be equal if not more.

😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

May I be the first to congratulate the Wigan team on finishing top of the league this year. It remains a wonderful achievement, and is particularly well deserved for Matty Peet, a young British coach developing a fine side and a great culture, who is always available to speak to the press. For anyone that missed it, I would recommend you dig out the video for Mago’s re-signing. It is all that is good about our game. 

• Like 5