Held up in goal

sam4731

Quick question about a rule relevant to what happened at the Saints vs Leeds women's game today. The attacking player was held up in goal and the hooter went for half time. The referee allowed 1 more PTB after this. I thought you only got 1 more play after the hooter if its a penalty and not just a PTB. Am I mistaken?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, meast said:

Would it depend if the referee had already called held before the hooter had sounded?

The tackle had been completed and they were in the process of playing the next tackle?

The referee had called held up after which the hooter went. The PTB hadn't happened yet because they hadn't retreated the 10.

8 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

The referee had called held up after which the hooter went. The PTB hadn't happened yet because they hadn't retreated the 10.

Ball not in play. Half time.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Sounds to me like it should have been half time. If a tackled player is called held in the field of play and the hooter goes before he/she gets to their feet, then the half ends. No different for held up in goal. 

only penalties can be given and played after the hooter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Griff said:

Refs, eh? You can forgive them for not seeing stuff but you expect them to know the laws of the game.

I believe there has been two occasions this season in WSL where the officials (and teams) haven’t known whether or not it was golden point and had to ring the RFL from the pitch to double check!

39 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I believe there has been two occasions this season in WSL where the officials (and teams) haven’t known whether or not it was golden point and had to ring the RFL from the pitch to double check!

Please don't say there were only two games ending level after 80 minutes.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The Match Commissioner should be held accountable for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't start another thread for this but this seems like a sensible one.

In Rugby League, we end the game after 80 minutes at the completion of the next play - either completed tackle or an error etc.

One of the (very very) few areas where I think Union can be more exiting is that their game cab continue after the 80 minutes are up for a fair bit as teams try to get a winning score.  It does create a dramatic finish sometimes. 

Would the end of a tight League game be more interesting if the team in possession could play out their final set after the hooter had sounded - providing more chances to get a final score... and the game ends on an error, ball out of play or the 6th tackle.

Not advocating for it necessarily, just wondering about people's thoughts.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

50 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In Rugby League, we end the game after 80 minutes at the completion of the next play - either completed tackle or an error etc.

One of the (very very) few areas where I think Union can be more exiting is that their game cab continue after the 80 minutes are up for a fair bit as teams try to get a winning score.  It does create a dramatic finish sometimes. 

In a union game it may be only time when they try to keep the ball in play instead of kicking away the ball and you think why havent they done that all game

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

No Match Commissioners for Championship? Since when?

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Quite a few years. 

First season was 2022. 
EDIT Might have been 2021 as Leigh were in Super League that season so may have come in earlier before I was aware of it. Presumably an original casualty of Covid which then became a convenient excuse. 

10 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

The same one as at the Wigan vs Saints academy game

Beat me to it 🤣

Edited by Leyther_Matt

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Would the end of a tight League game be more interesting if the team in possession could play out their final set after the hooter had sounded - providing more chances to get a final score... and the game ends on an error, ball out of play or the 6th tackle.

Not advocating for it necessarily, just wondering about people's thoughts.

I like that we have a final point of the game, rather than it being open ended. In fact I think it makes it more exciting when a team has 1 play after the hooter if they've managed to PTB in time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

First season was 2022. 
EDIT Might have been 2021 as Leigh were in Super League that season so may have come in earlier before I was aware of it. Presumably an original casualty of Covid which then became a convenient excuse. 

Beat me to it 🤣

I thought it was before 2022. They had removed time keepers and match commissioners from League 1 before Covid