Toulouse or London

3 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

Yea with a closed SL. How can you grow if no one will invest if you can’t go anywhere. 

If a multimillionaire decided to invest in say Rochdale or Oldham, developed an academy pathway for their area, invested in the playing squad, marketed their brand to the locals etc, performed well on the field in a good facility then they'd be in. It's not closed. It just needs investment.

• Like 3
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

32 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If a multimillionaire decided to invest in say Rochdale or Oldham, developed an academy pathway for their area, invested in the playing squad, marketed their brand to the locals etc, performed well on the field in a good facility then they'd be in. It's not closed. It just needs investment.

That’s all well and good saying that. But where will this investment come from barring a multimillionaire? And if I was a one I wouldn’t invest in a rugby club out of the top flight as I would have no guarantees my money would get the end goal. 

33 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Exactly, its moving towards a stage where you actually have to be able to afford to be a super league club, not just be able to afford to get to Super League (two very different things).

• Like 1

Just now, Rovers13 said:

That’s all well and good saying that. But where will this investment come from barring a multimillionaire? And if I was a one I wouldn’t invest in a rugby club out of the top flight as I would have no guarantees my money would get the end goal. 

What guarantees do they have now?

The very fact you are having to ask "where would this investment come from" speaks volumes about why the game is in the financial position its in. Not to go all BP/Sean McGuire, but the (serious) money is often just not there in many RL towns (anymore, if it ever really was).

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

What guarantees do they have now?

The very fact you are having to ask "where would this investment come from" speaks volumes about why the game is in the financial position its in. Not to go all BP/Sean McGuire, but the (serious) money is often just not there in many RL towns (anymore, if it ever really was).

On the field a good set up would get promoted. Why would a millionaire put faith in IMG? And that’s a serious question BTW. 

28 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

On the field a good set up would get promoted. Why would a millionaire put faith in IMG? And that’s a serious question BTW. 

It doesn't guarantee anything on field does it? Fev have proven that this year and several before. It even took the almighty Toronto 2 bites at the Championship cherry.

Investors will like IMG because it provides certainty of a long partnership with an established and respected industry brand. It also provides a clear framework for investors to invest in the "controllables" like stadium infrastructure, facilities, social media presence etc., as opposed to the uncontrollables like winning a given RL match. It encourages long term thinking, serious levels of investment over an extended period of time (rather than just an annual splash to attempt to make super league). Its making sure that if you get into the cash cow for the whole sport, Super League, that your organisation is of a sufficient standard to add to that competition not just to arbitrarily swap around poor quality businesses each year. The sport will be stronger in what it has every year this goes through in terms of resources and assets.

What does remain to be seen is what the (relatively) low value/high interest investors do. Do they stay at clubs they currently control but have little ability to really take to the levels needed now it isn't just on a one season on field effort? Do they invite others in but cede control? Would they rather be big fish in a small pond? Who really knows, it will be different for all of them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

If I was a millionaire investing outside the top flight on stadia etc I’d want a written contract guaranteeing me SL status once I’d ticked the boxes before I’d even consider investing tbh. 

That is what an A Grade will achieve.

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That is what an A Grade will achieve.

But there is the crux, what if there is already 12 or more grade A clubs before a millionaires money brings that club up to an A grade club. Like I say no guarantees for a person to invest. 

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

But there is the crux, what if there is already 12 or more grade A clubs before a millionaires money brings that club up to an A grade club. Like I say no guarantees for a person to invest. 

The league will expand.

57 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

They have said the league will expand if that is the case, because it would be a fantastic achievement for the sport to be in such a position 

8 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

If there are 12 or more grade A clubs IMGs plan will have worked as planned 

I found it interesting watching Sky Sports F1 over the weekend. The Red Bull Team boss Christian Horner was discussing the potential new team in F1 and they just openly talk about money and this stuff without embarrassment or anger. 

They openly discussed that bringing a new team in may financially affect existing teams, that there should be a buy in fee, along with other factors - but they were absolutely open about commercial discussions which when discussed in RL are dismissed as backward Northerners being small time. 

I think the sooner we get real about the commercial angle of SL places the better. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

Is this guaranteed or just on a word of IMG? But anyway no millionaire will invest outside the top flight anyway it’s a pipe dream lol 

That was what was outlined. We can only go with what has been said and presume that will happen.

19 hours ago, crashmon said:

London had a pretty good FT team back in 2018 which had been blooded in several previous seasons in the middle eoghts vs SL teams, so where much better prepared than the current PT squad.  Assuming a big IF they get past Tolouse, I don't see them getting close to the 2019 performance (but I do think they will win 2 or 3 games)

Who against?

Saints perhaps thats 2 for starters😉

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It doesn't guarantee anything on field does it? Fev have proven that this year and several before. It even took the almighty Toronto 2 bites at the Championship cherry.

Investors will like IMG because it provides certainty of a long partnership with an established and respected industry brand. It also provides a clear framework for investors to invest in the "controllables" like stadium infrastructure, facilities, social media presence etc., as opposed to the uncontrollables like winning a given RL match. It encourages long term thinking, serious levels of investment over an extended period of time (rather than just an annual splash to attempt to make super league). Its making sure that if you get into the cash cow for the whole sport, Super League, that your organisation is of a sufficient standard to add to that competition not just to arbitrarily swap around poor quality businesses each year. The sport will be stronger in what it has every year this goes through in terms of resources and assets.

What does remain to be seen is what the (relatively) low value/high interest investors do. Do they stay at clubs they currently control but have little ability to really take to the levels needed now it isn't just on a one season on field effort? Do they invite others in but cede control? Would they rather be big fish in a small pond? Who really knows, it will be different for all of them.

If I were a mjulti-miliionaire investor I think I would fancy my chances more of putting a winning team on the field capable of promotion that with the new IMG format. Crowds are going to be really hard to increase for a start, media you could probably spend a lot on and increase, catchment area you have no control of so pick your club wisely. Plus when you are spending that sort of money, and especially if you are a fan of that team, you are going to want to see a winning team on the field. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If I were a mjulti-miliionaire investor I think I would fancy my chances more of putting a winning team on the field capable of promotion that with the new IMG format. Crowds are going to be really hard to increase for a start, media you could probably spend a lot on and increase, catchment area you have no control of so pick your club wisely. Plus when you are spending that sort of money, and especially if you are a fan of that team, you are going to want to see a winning team on the field. 

I honestly can’t see any millionaire investing outside the top flight tbh. We will end up with who IMG want then it will be shut. As for 12 A grade clubs that could work because of sky money they would get, as for more than 12 not a chance imo. 

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

But I’ve also said in an IMG world I don’t see a cas, wakey, hudds, Salford or one of the hulls in SL either so it’s not just about batley’s swinton’s etc I think some at top table are in trouble too. 

20 years ago we'd have also said the same about Warrington. And Saints despite being a good rugby team were playing in a crumbling ground. 

If clubs are strong enough they will be in. The bar is hardly set very high let's be honest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

20 years ago we'd have also said the same about Warrington. And Saints despite being a good rugby team were playing in a crumbling ground. 

If clubs are strong enough they will be in. The bar is hardly set very high let's be honest. 

I agree with you but this isn’t licensing on a fag packet anymore, IMG are a big company and a very professional one.