The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I honestly don't see how all these measurements that IMG are collating and amassing is going to improve the popularity of the sport to new eyes by whichever medium you choose, if there is something tangible that it is going to improve the on field offering then I am all for that, but you are very correct though Dave but I will increase your 'many' to all those who want to watch Rugby are not interested in the behind the scenes stuff to all just want to watch the Rugby.

Perhaps you can enlighten me, how are these measures going to improve the game to bring back departed fans and entice new fans, get a bigger TV deal than the one we have got for the next 3 years (which on its conclusion will be 5 years into IMG's involvement) and get more sponsorship if audiences have not improved, I honestly have not got a clue.

I think you may be on a wind up. 

You want the measure to improve the crowd numbers? The crowd number is the measure!!!! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I honestly have not got a clue.

😉

Only joking Harry, in answer though, it's about getting all assets of the club to be better, this will in turn create more interest and then lead to the whole league being better.

Look at your club this year, I know you only care about what goes on in the 80 minutes, but surely you can see first hand what a difference marketing and promotion makes to a club, now don't get me wrong, on the field matters a great deal, if Leigh had been 12th all season the rebrand and the ill fitting leopard print shirts would have gone down like cold sick but when the whole club makes an. improvement on and off the field it makes a difference.

You can't just expect People to tune in or turn up without marketing the actual product.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Did you read? Their grading demonstrates all the factors for why they will go down.

Exactly.  But for some reason you claimed in the same post that they wouldn't be relegated because of their grading.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, crashmon said:

To me the catchment area is flawed

For instance lets take Bradford vs (fev, wakey and Cas)

Bradford is a large town, but in the latest census 30% of the population is SE Asian..   They are not going to pay RL, they are going to play Cricket

Only 11% of people in Wakefield are considered South Asian

Now that still leaves more potential people in Bradford than Wakefield, but just because you have a certain amount of population in an area does not mean that they are potentials for support?....

how many of them in Wakefield instead go to elland road and watch leeds utd  or indeed play cricket on a sunday

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

Thanks. Your point about yo-yo clubs has been my argument for many years.

And I agree with your second paragraph.

But we have to secure a route to that nirvana that doesn't do untold damage on the way.

Then I just don't see the new system as structured bringing untold damage the way that you do.

Whether it's a sticky outcome for London next year, or some Championship clubs having to adjust to not annually playing for promotion, this is a change that can be managed without crisis. Not least because it's exactly the path we've been on for months now and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Don't forget you're talking about Victorian Britain , travel for part time players , even Leigh had a train station then , but you were talking horse and cart from the train station to the playing venue 

Victorian Britain? This was the 1930s...

None of this stopped Football, Cricket or Rugby Union BTW.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Exactly.  But for some reason you claimed in the same post that they wouldn't be relegated because of their grading.

They'd be getting relegated without their grading. 

The grading is another consequence of the reasons they'll be relegated, not a cause of their relegation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Then I just don't see the new system as structured bringing untold damage the way that you do.

Whether it's a sticky outcome for London next year, or some Championship clubs having to adjust to not annually playing for promotion, this is a change that can be managed without crisis. Not least because it's exactly the path we've been on for months now and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. 

Im still a bit baffled why people are shocked, it's been on the cards for a long time, what were people expecting?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Rugby Union ?  Full of "gentlemen" players ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

And sell them what exactly - a PT team already relegated and thrashings?

But on the flipside an LED screen?

Given the points for finishing 12th, London would be best withdrawing and letting the 11 have some more loop fixtures imho.

Next year will do nothing to build the side and the money, after costs, is not really material.

I could get a couple of people along for a season in the Champ with competitive games - no chance next season.

Turn down promotion then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

😉

Only joking Harry, in answer though, it's about getting all assets of the club to be better, this will in turn create more interest and then lead to the whole league being better.

Look at your club this year, I know you only care about what goes on in the 80 minutes, but surely you can see first hand what a difference marketing and promotion makes to a club, now don't get me wrong, on the field matters a great deal, if Leigh had been 12th all season the rebrand and the ill fitting leopard print shirts would have gone down like cold sick but when the whole club makes an. improvement on and off the field it makes a difference.

You can't just expect People to tune in or turn up without marketing the actual product.

Yet for all that, we could find ourselves in a position in May next year, when contracts are being dished out, where we could be clear of 12th place, competing for the play offs, but considerably less confident of staying in SL than we were at the same stage this year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I tend to agree. As a friend of mine (who isn't an ardent RL fan but has a a passing interest) said yesterday - if this sort of system really drove commercial success then the behemoth that is the Premier League would have done it years ago.

They tried it with the European Super league - LOL.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Union played friendly games and regional comps until 30 years ago , football even with a maximum wage was full time , not sure on cricket 

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

Yet for all that, we could find ourselves in a position in May next year, when contracts are being dished out, where we could be clear of 12th place, competing for the play offs, but considerably less confident of staying in SL than we were at the same stage this year. 

You could be clear of 12th competing for the playoffs in May and still get relegated under normal P&R.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

They tried it with the European Super league - LOL.

Not the same, that was a simple cherry-picking exercise to create a closed shop. There were no assessments, only invitations.

• Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Stupidity 

Oh, you're setting up the open goal there on purpose, aren't you?

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)