'Gen Z' Engagement...

This is quite interesting. Rugby League is ranked the 9th biggest sport by size of engagement base, but only ranks 18th in engagement amongst 'Gen Z' (18-24 year olds).

Rugby Union is ranked the 4th biggest sport, but doesn't even register.

Something that IMG will surely focus on moving forward...

• Like 2

That's really interesting. 

I am very surprised to see American Football fall off the Gen Z engagement with all the efforts to raise the profile of the NFL in the UK.

Disappointing to see RL drop away but I have to say I am more delighted to see a certain other sport fall off a cliff.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

I thought vaping and texting might be top twenty. 🤷🏼

"Genz" is what we used to shout if anybody dropped any coins in the playground.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I know the NRL are venturing into the USA but I feel that the RFL reaching out to the the NFL to form a partnership could be mutually beneficial. The NFL would be able to utilise (the apparent) higher levels of rugby league engagement in the UK as well as being able to put down roots in parts of the UK that they could explore which they may not have considered. The RFL would gain from the juggernaut that is the NFL in terms of marketing and exposure and we might get a bigger US audience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

This is quite interesting. Rugby League is ranked the 9th biggest sport by size of engagement base, but only ranks 18th in engagement amongst 'Gen Z' (18-24 year olds).

Rugby Union is ranked the 4th biggest sport, but doesn't even register.

Something that IMG will surely focus on moving forward...

Really surprised to see boxing so high - but then I guess there are a lot of social media constructed fights, spats and storylines ...

Will have a proper look at the rest.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What is #15 'Jumping'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its worth looking at the comments just to have a good laugh at the RU fans foaming because Rugby League is placed higher.

I'm also enjoying seeing the classic - which we're all guilty of - of shoehorning it to fit the things we don't like that if only they were changed everyone would immediately follow it.

Apparently, "inconsistent application of the rules" is the problem.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's easy to misread this graphic, the left column is top 20 engagement,  ie people engaging with the sport via social media, TV,  actually watching it live,  newspapers etc. The right is the same for Gen Z only. The asterisks point out the sports in top 20 participation,  actually playing the sport. Interesting that one sport that Sky pay a lot for and has its own channel is absent , Golf?! Where is it?

rugby-union-not-in-top-20-sports-for-genz-engagement-base-v0-wacb8ezewxxb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=657696cec4c9af27d5f34532e3c07ac066a5e532

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Really surprised to see boxing so high - but then I guess there are a lot of social media constructed fights, spats and storylines ...

If you call KSI, Logan Paul, Tommy Fury etc, Boxing, you may as well call the school sports day 100m, elite level Athletics.

• Like 1

The only thing I'm certain they've got right, is that football is at the top of both lists. And they wouldn't have needed to do any research to reach that conclusion.

As for the rest, as always, the devil is in the detail.

Depending on how you're measuring things, you could probably produce 100 of these lists, with a different result every time.

It's clear to me, however, that if we're going to boost rugby leagues popularity amongst Gen Z's, it should be played on bicycles, using a giant shuttlecock instead of a ball, with a hoop at either end instead of posts, and with a lot more punch ups.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Boxing is kind of the ideal social media age sport though isn't it. Big names and personalities, accentuated by both an influencer angle and an historic legitimacy element. Grown up WWE?

What is clear is that the quality of the on field isn't everything. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

If you call KSI, Logan Paul, Tommy Fury etc, Boxing, you may as well call the school sports day 100m, elite level Athletics.

What I call it is irrelevant, TBH.

• Like 2