Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is just a matter of pragmatism.

Everyone has their own view but for me international national competition is the highest priority for the game and the logistics mid year are challenging.

International club competitions, regular league seasons and then nation based internationals at the end of the year works for me.

Any issues in timing are a distant second to the game actually deciding these things and fully committing to them for a long term cycle.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you that pre-season is a better fit than the mid-season.

Personally, I think a Super Bowl style WCC a fortnight after the respective Grand Finals would be a great way to lead into the end of year test matches we all want to see.

When people talk about clubs and bodies getting on board and supporting a concept, then aligning the seasons a little better to accomodate best practice would be a great start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's simply just your opinion. There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be.

It’s not just my opinion Damien, it’s the opinion of pretty much any dedicated Australian supporter of any NRL club who I have spoken to on the subject and I have spoken to plenty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ideally a week after the grand final. If the WCC was in England have that a week after the Aussie grand final and have the winning Aussie team in the stadium watching to see who they will play. If the WCC is being held in Australia then do the reverse and have the SL team in the stadium. Would be great publicity and build up to the final. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Ideally a week after the grand final. If the WCC was in England have that a week after the Aussie grand final and have the winning Aussie team in the stadium watching to see who they will play. If the WCC is being held in Australia then do the reverse and have the SL team in the stadium. Would be great publicity and build up to the final. 

I like that idea very much Bob.

The NRL will never change its GF weekend though as it always lands on a Monday long weekend public holiday in Sydney. Unfortunately, and understandably, any suggestion to a change in the NRL GF date would be like asking the NRL to abolish SOO one year for a series against England or GB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

And Australians always say that won't work and that the NRL club and players won't want it.

Edited by Damien

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I like that idea very much Bob.

The NRL will never change its GF weekend though as it always lands on a Monday long weekend public holiday in Sydney. Unfortunately, and understandably, any suggestion to a change in the NRL GF date would be like asking the NRL to abolish SOO one year for a series against England or GB.

Your posts always sum up why the WCC and international game is where it is. Everything is always that it can't be done or won't work because of x, y and z. If the Aussies aren't willing to do or change anything then we can just expect more of the same.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

I think the WCC as one of the four pillars of the season works well, as such having it a the beginning of the season is the best place for it. 
It would be better if it was an integrated part of the season launch, for example as a stand alone event the week before the season starts, or as part of a challenge cup round weekend where the champions get a bye and there are three games on terrestrial TV across 3 days.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Your posts always sum up why the WCC and international game is where it is. Everything is always that it can't be done or won't work because of x, y and z. If the Aussies aren't willing to do or change anything then we can just expect more of the same.

Just as night follows day, there are some realities that just won’t disappear Damien, no matter how much you like an alternative. 

Edited by Sports Prophet

37 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just as night follows day, there are some realities that just won’t disappear Damien, no matter how much you like an alternative. 

That's fine, but don't moan about the choice of stadium and say we should magically do better and play in big 40k+ stadiums.

Depending how the Vegas experiment goes and if the NRL are interested in more international games then I can definitely see them trying a game in England one year.

The NRL premiers and one other team come over, the premiers play the WCC while the other plays Leeds/Wigan/Catalans/whoever or maybe the Challenge Cup winner. Then the following week both teams play each other in NRL “round zero” (same weekend as Vegas). Preferably it would be a double header with a Super League game if the two can agree to terms.

16 hours ago, Damien said:

And Australians always say that won't work and that the NRL club and players won't want it.

I don’t think I am the only Australian who thinks the WCC is best played at the end of the respective GFs.

5 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Depending how the Vegas experiment goes and if the NRL are interested in more international games then I can definitely see them trying a game in England one year.

The NRL premiers and one other team come over, the premiers play the WCC while the other plays Leeds/Wigan/Catalans/whoever or maybe the Challenge Cup winner. Then the following week both teams play each other in NRL “round zero” (same weekend as Vegas). Preferably it would be a double header with a Super League game if the two can agree to terms.

Interesting idea as well.

28 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Interesting idea as well.

Vegas has broken the shackles proverbially speaking of a lot of the reasons/excuses that would have prevented in the past.

Round zero is happening, NRL has taken a game outside Aus/NZ, 2 sides going to England has been done in the past. Still hurdles in the way like Stadium availability and agreeing on a time with broadcasters but it looks very much doable now that Vegas is happening.

27 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It would end up as more pf an exhibition game than it is now

It would. The theory is fine but the reality of what would happen is completely different and the logistics would make it impractical. It's hard enough getting this game on with 4 months notice as is.

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That sounds like a strange theory to me CM

A team spends all season ultimately trying to win the SL or NRL title, they achieve it but then they’ve got to prepare for another game in a couple of weeks after, so which is the priority? 

you're asking players, coaches fans etc to get up for two massive games strategy after each other, which would ultimately diminish them both.

Theres also internationals to consider, not sure players picked for the national side will want to play in a WCC weeks before playing internationals.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

A team spends all season ultimately trying to win the SL or NRL title, they achieve it but then they’ve got to prepare for another game in a couple of weeks after, so which is the priority? 

you're asking players, coaches fans etc to get up for two massive games strategy after each other, which would ultimately diminish them both.

Theres also internationals to consider, not sure players picked for the national side will want to play in a WCC weeks before playing internationals.

Working backwards on your post, players picked for national teams play weeks before the internationals already. No change.

Players, fans, coaches etc get up more and more as they progress through the finals as it is. If we want the WCC to be anything more than a pissie exhibition match played at suburban stadiums, then the stage needs to fit the occasion.

My theory then is that whilst clubs are aiming to win the NRL or SL title as you say, their ultimate eye would be on the WCC as the ultimate global prize in club RL.

Because if the WCC is not the ultimate prize in club RL, then it will always be an afterthought exhibition match which will be played predominantly in suburban grounds in front of 25,000 people. If that’s what people are satisfied with, then you’ve got what you want already.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Working backwards on your post, players picked for national teams play weeks before the internationals already. No change.

Players, fans, coaches etc get up more and more as they progress through the finals as it is. If we want the WCC to be anything more than a pissie exhibition match played at suburban stadiums, then the stage needs to fit the occasion.

My theory then is that whilst clubs are aiming to win the NRL or SL title as you say, their ultimate eye would be on the WCC as the ultimate global prize in club RL.

Because if the WCC is not the ultimate prize in club RL, then it will always be an afterthought exhibition match which will be played predominantly in suburban grounds in front of 25,000 people. If that’s what people are satisfied with, then you’ve got what you want already.

Ultimately that means you want to devalue the SL and NRL titles for a game between 2 sides that have played in different leagues throughout the last 9 months?

seems utterly bizarre to me because you are making the SL GF a qualification game to get a chance to win the big game.

If you are wanting to make the WCC the ultimate game you would have to expand it to more than two teams into a mini competition with lets say the top 3 or 4 teams competing from each league.

This then devalues the SL and NRL titles even further.

FWIW i don’t think the WCC is necessarily a thing that needs fixing, the international game is far more important 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I can’t remember a build up to a WCC like this before.

Yeah it's been a good while, perhaps since the Leeds v Canterbury Bulldogs Elland Road game with SBW. A sellout well in advance makes such a big difference and Penrith losing at home last year really adds to it.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1