ben evans

bruner

42 minutes ago, gilbert08 said:

Evans is contracted but I can’t see him playing a big part next year. Personally I’d get rid of him & spend the money (assuming a big (ish) on wage) on locals or more local based players.

Which locals who play front row or any position for that matter are championship standard who we haven’t already got? I’m not trying to be controversial I’m just asking as I don’t really know the local scene that much now…

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, The Vet said:

Which locals who play front row or any position for that matter are championship standard who we haven’t already got? I’m not trying to be controversial I’m just asking as I don’t really know the local scene that much now…

Bang on. nonsensical comment unfortunately the local scene has been used and we have what we have. I agree Ben Evans under performed last year and I'm sure he knows that but we've had far worse props than him. I'm not sure how many props are out there so would be concerned if he has left because unfortunately the local scene is bare (we are back on the Connor Terrill and co merry go round) I have every faith the board are working diligently in the background to get people to come however with the resurgence of a number of North West clubs (i.e Oldham) spending big money I bet it is hard to compete and sell the additional travel to barrow.

No disrespect to Terrill or any other local props (Kelly, Mcbain, etc) we've had in recent years who haven't quite nailed a place but clearly cresta hasn't deemed them good enough in the past. 

Edited by Raider91
  • Like 2

On 18/11/2023 at 23:53, The Vet said:

Not controversial it’s a fair point mate. 

I am the same in terms of the local game my knowledge isn’t great but I of course trust Cresta to make the decision regards evans if he stays or goes I’ll support whatever decision is made. 

• Like 2

When we had contested scrums (before Covid) props had to be big, strong and not necessarily mobile (ala Frank Foster ) playing in the Winter mud. But for the last few years we've had uncontested scrums and I personally don't see the need for the old-style prop any longer - what is a front-rows role now? I would have thought a pack of faster, less lumbering forwards ie: the Joe Bullocks & Ellis Gillams, playing in dry Summer conditions are the types of forwards teams would be looking for. Interested to hear any views.

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 1

In a way I think you are correct but, a number of Championship coaches have gone down the road of the more mobile forward with mixed success, take a look at the Town site from a couple of years ago and it was clear it didn't work.  The really big forwards do tire quickly but at the same time make a real impact taking 3 or 4 defenders with them, if we had a couple of lads as big and athletic as Joe Bullock then that would be the perfect compromise but remind yourselves of some of the monsters we were up against last season and the damage they did to our defence.

I think what I'm trying to say is I don't have a clue which is the best option, were we to sign a couple of massive Tongans I wouldn't be disappointed, thank god I'm not the coach. 

• Like 1

More work in a tramps vest.

1 game this year he took the ball up no more than 3 times, he was a waste of space.

Cresta & coaching team watching the video back must have been furious.

If he wasn't an out of town player he would have been let go

I've broken wind more than Ben Evans broke the line.

• Like 1