Dual Reg Link Ups This Season

It is an appalling system, the main beneficiary being the parent club, they can send players across for one or two games at the expense of the guys who have trained week in week out for the host club, unlike a proper loan arrangement where a player would come for a few weeks or ideally a whole season. It is a system that is open to abuse and should never have been introduced in the way it is at all. I disagreed with it when we did it and I am of the same opinion now. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Wigan - Wakefield Trinity

Catalans - was Toulouse in 2023

St. Helens - Was Swinton in 2023, haven't seen any announcement for 2024

Hull KR - Featherstone R

Leigh - Rochdale H in 2023, haven't seen any announcement

Warrington - Widnes

Salford - ?

Leeds - Halifax

Huddersfield - ?

Hull - was Newcastle Thunder in 2023, haven't seen any announcement

Castleford - expected to be Batley

London - nope

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Expatknight said:

It is an appalling system, the main beneficiary being the parent club, they can send players across for one or two games at the expense of the guys who have trained week in week out for the host club, unlike a proper loan arrangement where a player would come for a few weeks or ideally a whole season. It is a system that is open to abuse and should never have been introduced in the way it is at all. I disagreed with it when we did it and I am of the same opinion now. 

Its still a brilliant system for Super League clubs though and they would be daft not to use it.

• Like 1

It's a system that holds the game back and is just pure cost cutting and short-sightedness by both the SL club and their feeder club and it damages the integrity of the Championship & League 1.

If all the feeder clubs refused to pander to the SL clubs, the players would naturally filter down the pyramid anyway which would strengthen the game at lower levels rather than having SL clubs hoover up all the players.

If it genuinely worked in everyone's interest, why has no "partnership" ever lasted?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

33 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

It's a system that holds the game back and is just pure cost cutting and short-sightedness by both the SL club and their feeder club and it damages the integrity of the Championship & League 1.

If all the feeder clubs refused to pander to the SL clubs, the players would naturally filter down the pyramid anyway which would strengthen the game at lower levels rather than having SL clubs hoover up all the players.

If it genuinely worked in everyone's interest, why has no "partnership" ever lasted?

Well said.

• Like 1

You won't get many Championship fans arguing that its a good system but you can't blame the SL clubs for abusing the system either. SL clubs are well known for their self interest and lack of looking at the bigger picture so any change to the system would have to come from the very top because the SL teams are never going to vote it out. As I said before though, if I were in charge of a SL club I would be abusing the system like mad. Its a great chance to give players experience of playing at a level much better than reserve standard and as an added bonus Championship teams pay you for the privledge of playing your players. Win/win for SL teams. Don't hate the player and all that.

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

You won't get many Championship fans arguing that its a good system but you can't blame the SL clubs for abusing the system either. SL clubs are well known for their self interest and lack of looking at the bigger picture so any change to the system would have to come from the very top because the SL teams are never going to vote it out. As I said before though, if I were in charge of a SL club I would be abusing the system like mad. Its a great chance to give players experience of playing at a level much better than reserve standard and as an added bonus Championship teams pay you for the privledge of playing your players. Win/win for SL teams. Don't hate the player and all that.

If it was such an atrocious system as you make out then Championship clubs wouldn't go for it either. They have to be getting benefits from it, or they wouldn't do it.

In the Championship LB had one with Wigan which mainly involved returning London youngsters coming back to us for a time, and I believe we also had Harvie Hill for short period. When we were originally in SL we had DR with Skolars and it certainly helped both clubs at that level anyway. 

8 hours ago, Click said:

If it was such an atrocious system as you make out then Championship clubs wouldn't go for it either. 

Yes they would, most would literally do anything if they thought it might save them a tenner. 

• Like 4

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

8 hours ago, Click said:

If it was such an atrocious system as you make out then Championship clubs wouldn't go for it either. They have to be getting benefits from it, or they wouldn't do it.

In the Championship LB had one with Wigan which mainly involved returning London youngsters coming back to us for a time, and I believe we also had Harvie Hill for short period. When we were originally in SL we had DR with Skolars and it certainly helped both clubs at that level anyway. 

Exactly what Simon says, teams can afford to run small squads and if they do well with inuries they save a lot of money where as if they pick some up then they have a decent supply of players they can use from their DR partner although for most teams they will have to pay for that privledge. The only reason that Bradford won't be using it is because they finally have someone putting money in to the club and will likely run with the biggest squad in the Championship this season where as Fax and Fev where money is ultra tight this year will both run skinny squads and try save as much money as they can but you can't blame them really with on field success now not required. 

For bradford its going to be interesting how they keep such a large squad happy when they will have over 10 lads not playing each week and you wonder if they will create a link up with a League 1 team in which case they would lose their moral high ground that they have taken this season.

16 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

Perhaps the one saving grace about DR is the amusement it affords when people who were once enthusiastic endorsers of the system become pious opponents when their club no longer uses it...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Perhaps the one saving grace about DR is the amusement it affords when people who were once enthusiastic endorsers of the system become pious opponents when their club no longer uses it...

I hated it when we used it, found myself worrying about Hull KR's injury situation due to it impacting the York team. 

We had some decent players who ended up signing permanently for us in Matty Marsh, Will Jubb, Liam harris etc but were also mucked about a fair bit in thinking we had a player for the Sunday only to find he'd been sent to Leigh on loan instead for instance.

I see Batley have now got into bed with Castleford which was to be expected as they need to save some money but it's not the way forward to a bright future, it's just a sticking plaster solution which helps them raise a team.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

I hated it when we used it,

A quick google search suggests you were actively enthusiastic about it.
"he’d have taken a massive part of our playing budget. Why do that when we can have better from Hull KR and spend the money on several players like Horne, Cockayne, Scott etc. 

"As for dual reg players worsening the situation? We won't have players coming from Hull KR if we've got our own in that position playing well, if we need a half-back, they've got at least 4 who are better than we had last year from them. They can't all play for their parent club so we'll have a top quality half-back from them playing for us most weeks. "

"In an ideal world we’d be able to afford full time players ourselves and sack off any dual reg agreement but unfortunately we can’t. This is the next best thing IMO, top class players who will do their best for us.

Last season proved this arrangement to be far better than any in the past, so much so that decent players from the other club have chosen to sign on for York. 

When we win the league with Danny Maguire running the show for the last 5 games, people will be more than happy."

Not too much there about "holding the game back" or "damaging the integrity of the Championship and League 1".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Ideally ALL Championship and Super League teams should have a reserve grade as they did in the past, with a league structure, unfortunately these days everything is done on a shoestring especially in the Championship, however, in my opinion Dual Reg is not the way forward. Can you ever envisage Pro Football going down that route? there would be uproar, allegations of cheating etc, it used to be called bringing in a ringer in the old days!! It is typical of Rugby League, sadly, everything is done on the cheap without any thought of the long term consequences. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A quick google search suggests you were actively enthusiastic about it.
"he’d have taken a massive part of our playing budget. Why do that when we can have better from Hull KR and spend the money on several players like Horne, Cockayne, Scott etc. 

"As for dual reg players worsening the situation? We won't have players coming from Hull KR if we've got our own in that position playing well, if we need a half-back, they've got at least 4 who are better than we had last year from them. They can't all play for their parent club so we'll have a top quality half-back from them playing for us most weeks. "

"In an ideal world we’d be able to afford full time players ourselves and sack off any dual reg agreement but unfortunately we can’t. This is the next best thing IMO, top class players who will do their best for us.

Last season proved this arrangement to be far better than any in the past, so much so that decent players from the other club have chosen to sign on for York. 

When we win the league with Danny Maguire running the show for the last 5 games, people will be more than happy."

Not too much there about "holding the game back" or "damaging the integrity of the Championship and League 1".

Well researched, bit weird going back to my opinion 5 or 6 years ago though, it's like going through my bins and finding out I used to like ready meals.

We'd just re-started the club after almost going out of existence due to a nutcase owner, wouldn't mind Newcastle for instance doing it this year if it helps them onto a sound footing.

I don't agree with established Championship clubs like Batley, Halifax & Fev being feeder clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

The thing that makes no sense is SL clubs having a reserves team and dual reg. 

I think the SL reserves only play once a month, or something like that. So we seem to be keeping one bad thing (DR), to compensate for doing the good thing (reserves) badly. DR seems even more stupid now you can do 2 week loans now.

49 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

We'd just re-started the club after almost going out of existence due to a nutcase owner

This is EXACTLY what bugs me about a lot of comments we see about DR - the "ah, it was different when we used it" comments, I've seen this from fans of at least half a dozen clubs. And your comment now doesn't exactly tally with the one about winning the league with Danny Maguire running the show!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is EXACTLY what bugs me about a lot of comments we see about DR - the "ah, it was different when we used it" comments, I've seen this from fans of at least half a dozen clubs. And your comment now doesn't exactly tally with the one about winning the league with Danny Maguire running the show!

Have you ever thought something would be good, then when it wasn't as you hoped changed your opinion? Happy to say I'm capable of doing that.

If you want your club to go down that route then fair dos, enjoy the spectacle.

• Like 3

DR worked well at whitehaven for a couple of seasons with St Helens.  We had players like swift forster clough playing nearly every week and others like Gardner makinson percival walker greenwood and others playing now and again . Only downside when it ended we struggled to get locals to sign for us as players had been getting dropped to accommodate saints players it ###### a lot of players off

55 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Have you ever thought something would be good, then when it wasn't as you hoped changed your opinion? Happy to say I'm capable of doing that.

Did you think it would be good, or did you just think it would be good for your club?

56 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

If you want your club to go down that route then fair dos, enjoy the spectacle.

I didn't say that though did I? I understand why every Champ/league 1 club might go down that route, and I don't think it's any more right or wrong for my club to do it than another.