Jump to content

Televised games next season - has it been sorted yet?


Yorky

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

All games on Sky (main channels until summer when Sky will launch a streaming service). After that 2 on sky main channels and 4 on sky app. 

All season 4 of the 6 are live on super league plus (excludes 2 sky games a week) 

Yes, I think Matthew Shaw confused the details in the article. Jones says Sky have 2 exclusive games per week, so that has to mean that SL+ won't show those two live. 

It is similar to English Union's model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf I think that shows there’s absolutely a market for an afternoon game, but make it the exception that people with younger families make long term plans to attend rather than it necessarily being the norm purely because of archaic licensing laws.

I know this will be controversial and isn’t necessarily something I buy in to in RL even though it’s been successful in The Hundred, but there may be a place for early evening weekday kick offs during the school holidays (possibly one for the Challenge Cup to avoid inconveniencing season ticket holders).

Yes, it would be an interesting test that one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf I think that shows there’s absolutely a market for an afternoon game, but make it the exception that people with younger families make long term plans to attend rather than it necessarily being the norm purely because of archaic licensing laws.

My hypothesis here is that the scheduling uncertainty could be a relatively major issue for many fans. I think it may put people off buying season tickets (as they don't actually know whether they can attend matches), and it makes planning difficult. Again, in my family circumstances, we don't bother planning for matches even when we have a Sunday 3pm, because there is a good chance it'll shift. As a family we like to make plans (we have commitments across Warrington and Edinburgh so often travel at weekends) and I think it makes it easy to become a bit passive, or casual around RL - if you can make a game great, but if not, so be it. 

I hope that we get a good level of certainty around fixtures which means that people can plan much better and we see fewer issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Dave woods and Mark Wilson sign for Sky. 

Woods, Wilson, pyke, Arthur and possibly Dainton would be a strong line up. 

Not sure Matt Newsum strong enough to be BBC no1

Would these just do BBC and Sky? Aren't a lot of commentators and presenters freelancers now? Or is this an exclusive thing?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf I think that shows there’s absolutely a market for an afternoon game, but make it the exception that people with younger families make long term plans to attend rather than it necessarily being the norm purely because of archaic licensing laws.

I know this will be controversial and isn’t necessarily something I buy in to in RL even though it’s been successful in The Hundred, but there may be a place for early evening weekday kick offs during the school holidays (possibly one for the Challenge Cup to avoid inconveniencing season ticket holders).

Whenever you schedule a game, someone is going to moan because they feel everything should be on where and when suits them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Whenever you schedule a game, someone is going to moan because they feel everything should be on where and when suits them.

I think that's right, and that's my over-arching point - we can all give our own preferences, but it really is a numbers game - we find slots that bring us enough people through the gates, or watching on TV. 

What we won't find is a slot that suits everyone.

Where we do need to be careful is around overall strategies and making sure they are fit for purpose. My thinking here is that we spent years selling ourselves as a cheap family sport, and then slowly moved most games to Thursday and Friday nights which can exclude some families - and then we wonder why our average age of our fans is increasing.

We can be whatever we want to be, but our strategy is a touch muddled imho.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Dave woods and Mark Wilson sign for Sky. 

Woods, Wilson, pyke, Arthur and possibly Dainton would be a strong line up. 

Not sure Matt Newsum strong enough to be BBC no1

I hope Kev Brown is involved somehow too. His commentary and analysis on channel 4 / viaplay has been excellent.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Leaving aside the more than plausible argument that TV exposure does increase attendances, do you think those extra fans be anything remotely close to making up for the lost TV revenue? Honest answer, please. 

It was an hyperthetical question Matt, would I be correct in saying you would prefer Leigh's games to not clash with the football club you frequent?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Would these just do BBC and Sky? Aren't a lot of commentators and presenters freelancers now? Or is this an exclusive thing?

Woods has actually left the BBC, which I didn't expect.

1.jpg_large?token-time=1706659200&token-

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sky have also signed up Kyle Amor.

  • Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was an hyperthetical question Matt, would I be correct in saying you would prefer Leigh's games to not clash with the football club you frequent?

I’d very much prefer that, yes. Which would make Friday nights ideal. Home or away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d very much prefer that, yes. Which would make Friday nights ideal. Home or away. 

That's just as I expected Matt but like your football clubs fixtures weekend afternoons would be my preferred times for Leigh's away games.

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's just as I expected Matt but like your football clubs fixtures weekend afternoons would be my preferred times for Leigh's away games.

Not sure its the hime clubs responsibility to cater to away supporters preferences though.

Its immaterial anyway as your preference might not be the same as other peoples

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Crazy considering the BBC are hoping to show record levels of RL! 

Matt Newsum to step up to the main BBC commentator spot, maybe?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Futtocks said:

Matt Newsum to step up to the main BBC commentator spot, maybe?

If I'm honest, I find many of them a bit identikit, I do like Dave Woods, it always surprises me when people really dislike him, I think he's pretty inoffensive. 

I'm OK with Newsum. 

It's the experts who I think add more character. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dave T said:

If I'm honest, I find many of them a bit identikit, I do like Dave Woods, it always surprises me when people really dislike him, I think he's pretty inoffensive. 

I'm OK with Newsum. 

It's the experts who I think add more character. 

I've always liked Woods, but when you remember both of his predecessors stayed in their post way after their prime, his choice to move on is better than him getting stale.

I wonder if Sky see Dave as the focal point of a new commentary team? Or will he just be pitched in with Baz'n'Tez and the rest? We'll have to wait and see.

  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

 

I wonder if Sky see Dave as the focal point of a new commentary team? Or will he just be pitched in with Baz'n'Tez and the rest? We'll have to wait and see.

You don't just pitch in anyone with Baz and Tel,  you have to be deemed to be the right stuff, go through rigorous training before ascending to that esteemed level of competence.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Not sure its the hime clubs responsibility to cater to away supporters preferences though.

Its immaterial anyway as your preference might not be the same as other peoples

All hyperthetical as I said Chris it is my preference just like your statement Friday's suits you best!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Woods and Wilson are an improvement on every commentator Sky have, only in my opinion of course!

Definitely. The main Sky commentator last season (Bill Arthur?) sounded like he'd rather be anywhere but at the match he was commentating on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Coggo said:

The news re TV coverage just gets better and better. Bill Arthur is terrible and has been replaced by the best RL commentator in the land 👏🏻

Not sure he’s been replaced, sky will need 3x commentary teams for when they are showing 3 games at once

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.