French Rugby League 90th Anniversary

This looks a great series of events for the games 90th anniversary in France. The program looks a great mix of celebrating the games history along with a look to the future. The sport obviously has a great story to tell and some of these events look really interesting.

Google translate version below with the usual caveats that come with that (particularly the use of the U word):

The year 2024 marks the 90th anniversary of the French Rugby League Federation. Throughout the year, and on the occasion of this anniversary, Rugby League will be highlighted through numerous events. Between international matches, exhibitions, conferences, TV broadcasts of matches, here is the program for the 90th anniversary…

January 29 in Toulouse
The Federation will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. at the headquarters of the “La Dépêche du Midi” group. The main themes covered will be the situation of Rugby League in 2024, and its areas of growth. The first path mentioned will be media coverage to reestablish Rugby League in popular culture. The second will be the time of professionalization, to stabilize economic activity, with a sustainable model.

From January 29 to February 3 in the Catalan Country
Throughout the following week, the newspaper L'Indépendant will publish daily articles on Rugby League in France. The week will also be marked by a draw among Catalans Dragons subscribers, to win the framed anniversary jersey of the FFR XIII.

The weekend of February 2 and 3 in Perpignan
This highlight of the 90th anniversary will begin on Friday evening at 6 p.m., in the Guy Malé room of the Pyrénées-Orientales Departmental Council. A conference on the theme “With its history, what future for our Rugby League” will be held there. It will be given by Robert Fassolette, professor of Physical Education and Sport, 3rd degree state diploma in Rugby League, graduate of INSEP and a DEA in 20th century History from the IEP of Paris and manager of the French Para-Rugby XIII team.

The next day will take place the gala meeting between the Catalan Dragons, in preparation for the 2024 Super League and a selection of the best Elite 1 players. This match will be held at the Stade Brutus in Perpignan, from 2:30 p.m.

Weekend of April 6 and 7 in Marseille
The French Federation will present its exhibition “90 years of Rugby League” during an opening on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Parc Chanot in Marseille. A few meters away the two semi-finals of the Coupe de France Lord Derby will take place the next day. The first will start at 3 p.m. at the Pierre-Delort stadium, and the second at 5 p.m.

The exhibition will be an opportunity to discover the first French rugby league selection assembled in March 1934 for the Pioneers' tour of England.
Sunday May 26 in Narbonne 
The stadium of Friendship between the peoples of Narbonne will host the Spring of XIII in May. Throughout the day, the finals of the U15, U17, U19 and ELITE 1 championships will follow one another, thus closing the seasons of the different levels in a great moment of celebration. On this occasion, throughout the week, the “90 years of Rugby League” exhibition will be visible in the dedicated space.

Saturday June 29 in Toulouse
The Toulouse public will witness a triple crunch this weekend. First the France vs England double bill with the men's curtain-raiser, the French Women's XIII then the Championship match between the Toulouse Olympique XIII and Featherstone, the next day.

On the occasion of this big highlight of the 90th anniversary of the FFR XIII, the “90 years of rugby union” exhibition will be accessible throughout the week preceding this event, at the Prairie des filters room in Toulouse.

In October in Paris
The men's French XIII will begin their qualifying phase for the 2026 World Cup, against Wales in Paris. Once again, the “90 years of rugby union” exhibition will be accessible throughout the week preceding the match, in the CNOSF lounges, at the Maison du sport français (1 avenue Pierre de Coubertin).

From January to June
Throughout the first six months of the year, the NA TV , TV7 and Vià Occitanie channels will broadcast Elite 1, Coupe de France and European Cup matches, as well as international matches. The objective of the federation is to make rugby league accessible to as many people as possible.

https://www.ffr13.fr/90-ans-de-la-ffr-xiii-le-programme-des-manifestations-dediees/

Edited by Damien
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Booked flights for the International weekend in Toulouse, hopefully there will be a big crowd.

I assume/hope“90 years of rugby union” exhibition is a typo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Booked flights for the International weekend in Toulouse, hopefully there will be a big crowd.

I assume/hope“90 years of rugby union” exhibition is a typo.

As I said when I mentioned the U word in my post, that's Google translate.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

As I said when I mentioned the U word in my post, that's Google translate.

Yeah, missed that, although still wouldn't put it past them to have infiltrated Google.

There should be a movie about it sone day. How the sport was set up, how it grew, how it was killed off is is one the (true) best story you can write about sport. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gambass said:

There should be a movie about it sone day. How the sport was set up, how it grew, how it was killed off is is one the (true) best story you can write about sport. 

I agree but we can't even have that in England how Union was a ...always thought C4

10 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Interesting that the Lord Derby Cup semi-final double header is in Marseille, and the France v Wales game is in Paris … the FFR XIII trying to push the boundaries? If so, good to see !

Have you seen the stadium they’re using though, it’s a 5,000 capacity athletics stadium. 

11 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Interesting that the Lord Derby Cup semi-final double header is in Marseille, and the France v Wales game is in Paris … the FFR XIII trying to push the boundaries? If so, good to see !

It's a one small stand stadium next to the velodrome, the France u17s v England game was there last year, 

If the 4 semi finalists are Albi, Villeneuve, Carcassonne and limoux, that's some bus rides! Villeneuve is id say 7 hours away by bus, Albi 6, Carcassonne and Limoux at least 5 hours one way,

Quite a trip for 4 teams to play on the same day at a small ground, yes we needed to promote the game but it also needs strengthening in the places where league is still played, 

I reckon there'll be a crowd of 1000 maximum for the semi finals at Marseille, they wanted to play the elite 1 major semi finals at Avignon  but Avignon have decided they can't do it, again it would be a very small crowd, if Albi play at home they'd fill their  stadium and Carcassonne would get at least 3000 (the most probable top 2) 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, barnyia said:

It's a one small stand stadium next to the velodrome, the France u17s v England game was there last year, 

If the 4 semi finalists are Albi, Villeneuve, Carcassonne and limoux, that's some bus rides! Villeneuve is id say 7 hours away by bus, Albi 6, Carcassonne and Limoux at least 5 hours one way,

Quite a trip for 4 teams to play on the same day at a small ground, yes we needed to promote the game but it also needs strengthening in the places where league is still played, 

I reckon there'll be a crowd of 1000 maximum for the semi finals at Marseille, they wanted to play the elite 1 major semi finals at Avignon  but Avignon have decided they can't do it, again it would be a very small crowd, if Albi play at home they'd fill their  stadium and Carcassonne would get at least 3000 (the most probable top 2) 

This is total insanity 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, soulboy said:

A must read is ‘ The forbidden game ‘ by Mike Rylance .

It will give you an insight on how French RL has be persecuted by French Rah Rah. It’s nothing short of scandalous. 

Best sports book on any sport that I have ever read.

• Like 2